Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/1 23:16
Hi

While I will be in Tokyo next summer I am planning to visit Akihabara as my first stop in Tokyo where I will buy a digital camera. I have some questions though:
(A) to avoid strolling around which shop is the best to find the newest and cheapest models (I use Canon products)
(B) are the prices actually better than buying from the airport duty free shops or from the Internet?
(C) is there tax free shopping in Akihabara?

Thanks
George
by Geomelin  

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/2 08:48
yodobashi is a duty free shop but the prices are not very good.

if you're going to buy new i'd recommend walking around akihabara electric town and looking at many shops.

the prices of the cameras change daily, shops sometimes slash the price of models in order to get more traffic in their store for the day, then the next day or by the end of the weekend the price rockets up again.

honestly i don't recommend akihabara for camera stuff - if you're gonna buy new, buy it online, or if you must buy it in a shop, buy it from map camera in shinjuku or fujiya camera in nakano.

the best deal ever is buying used cameras from either map camera or fujiya camera. you can get cameras that look brand new but are used, but for 50-60% less than the new retail price.

plus, if you buy a new camera in japan your warranty may not be valid in your own country anyway, so you might as well buy used.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/2 10:41
(A) to avoid strolling around which shop is the best to find the newest and cheapest models (I use Canon products)

The major stores will have the best selection but the prices will generally be around MSRP. The cheap shops are in the backalleys and can be difficult to find. Selection changes daily and is really dependant on what models you are looking for.

(B) are the prices actually better than buying from the airport duty free shops or from the Internet?

Prices are way better on the internet, while airport duty free is just about the most expensive place you could shop.

(C) is there tax free shopping in Akihabara?

Yes, all the major shops sell duty free. However, it may be cheaper to buy from a discount shop that charges tax, then from a duty free shop that charges msrp.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/2 10:44
the best deal ever is buying used cameras from either map camera or fujiya camera. you can get cameras that look brand new but are used, but for 50-60% less than the new retail price.

Note that current model cameras are not particularly cheap when bought used. You can often find them new for similar prices on sale. Its really only the older stuff that gets the heavy discounts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/3 00:54
hi, I know sofu map sells used camera at low price.
This is their website.

http://www.sofmap.com/

But,they do not provide english information.
If you can specify some model, shall I tell me ? I will look for it and notify you.
please access to this page. There is my email address.
http://japaneselawyer.web.fc2.com/

by anpan2 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/3 03:11
Check prices before you go. I found that the prices were the same or in some cases cheaper where I live, so I bought before I travelled.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/3 04:59
I don't know where you are from but you might concider to buy the camera at home. Japan, especially with the current exchange rate, is expensive. Also this prevent you from import/custom problems and warranty issues.
You might also have more time to look/wait for an special (on line) offer.
But maybe even more important (if this is the only camera you are going to use in Japan) you have more time to get acquainted with the camera so you do not loose a very nice one-of-a-time shooting opportunity because you do not know how to set up the camera for the best shot.

Have a nice trip

B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/3 15:06
I would also recommend against buying a camera in Japan. Even a good deal is only comparable to regular prices in America.
by sadas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/3 21:14
If you know how to use sites like Kakaku.com (prices comparison site), and do research into how things cost, Akihabara is a good place to buy.

The older models (which could be the newest model in your home country) and second-hands are better quality than anywhere else outside Japan.

You really need to dig into smaller stores, as Yodobashi sell the newest models (hence not cheap) with a point card system (which leaves little space for price bargaining).

Sofmap has several stores in Akihabara town and they're best when you want a reliable, not too old second-hands or outlet merchandise.

It's true the currency might work against you. But if you can research deep into the back alleys, compare the prices, bargain with a smile, Akihabara is still the best place on earth for electronic goods. The people who says things aren't cheap are comparing to markets in China (where you never know what you get) or in USA (where older models are sold and choices are limited).

by Akihabara resident (Japanese) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/4 05:38
I also recommend NOT buying electronics in Japan due to high prices. We bought a Sony digital video camera at Duty Free in Sydney enroute to Tokyo for ~AUD$370 - the same camera in Akihabara was ~AUD$800!
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/4 07:31
Sorry I'll have to slightly correct and clarify my post above. Both video cameras were Made in Japan, both were the same/identical model with the same features, the model number was identical except for the last letter (ie. ABC123X which was different indicating apparently that the model in Japan was for the Japanese domestic market (ie. menu in Japanese) Mine bought DutyFree in Australia was AUD$370 the Japanese one was ~AUD$780. This was at Yodobashi Akihabara.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/5 08:28
With the strong Yen buying anything new will be cheaper online or in your own country. The only advantage in buying in japan will be the selection and latest models
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/11/6 08:44
There are a number of issues when buying in Japan & at Akihabara.

1. Prices in the USA are generally cheaper than in Japan.
2. Prices in Europe, Australia, etc are generally more expensive than in Japan.
3. These are prices based on Kakaku.com, not Yodobashi or BicCamera. You can use Kakaku to find shops at Akihabara. Better known places include PC Bomber, Wink Digital and Outlet Plaza.
4. The exception to this rule is Panasonic G series cameras (mirrorless, interchangeable lens, micro 4/3) They are much cheaper in Japan than even the USA. However, they have Japanese menu only, which I usually change by applying the Ptool hack.
5. Any duty free export model is WAY more expensive than domestic models. Steer well clear of those.
6. If you can, go for the superceded models, and you can often get these 30-60% off. New models that are greatly anticipated are often very expensive for a few months.
7. Old model mid/low range point and shoot cameras are often very cheap at Yodobashi and Sofmap.
8. Sofmap second hand can often have some good bargains if there is a sale on selected. Otherwise, the prices are ok, or slightly on the expensive side.
9. For second hand try some of the other places. Janpara often has reasonable prices. For places outside of Akihabara, try Map Camera at Shinjuku (two shops, a bit expensive) or Fujiya at Nakano. In my opinion, Fujiya offer the best second hand prices for cameras and lenses.
10. For new cameras, only Olympus offer world wide warranty. For lenses, most will offer world wide warranty, but check first. (for example, if you buy a Nikon DSLR body & lens kit, the body will have Japanese warranty while the lenses will be world wide warranty.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/12/4 16:30
Hi! A friend of mine who lives in Tokio is coming to Spain. I was reading your posts. Comparing prices, is it worth buying a digital camara (i.e. Canon) in Japan than in Europe (France or Spain)?
Thx
by marcelaa rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/12/5 07:53
In order to be able to compare prices between Japan and Spain, you need to list some prices in Spain!!!! (You need to do some of the work yourself!!!!! ;) )

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/12/7 02:06
Thanks Sandy! Yes, I've been doing that the last 3 days :)

Prices (from Pixmania.com):
1€ = 107,57 Yen

-CANON Kiss X6 or X6i Japón. In Europe is called EOS 650D and in USA Rebel T4i.
650€ / 69.920,5 JPY

-CANON Kiss X5/EOS 600D/Rebel T3i.
500-549€ / 53.785,0-59.055,9 JPY

-CANON Kiss X4/550D/Rebel T2i.
495€ / 53.247,2 JPY

-CANON EOS 60D. 889€ / 95.629,7 JPY

-CANON EOS Mark II. 1845€ / 198.467 JPY

-PENTAX K30. 609€ / 65.510,1 JPY

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/12/7 07:38
You didn't say if those prices are body only or standard one lens kit.....

Anyway, Approx prices on kakaku.com :

X6i with 1 lens 65,000yen. 2 lens kit 74,000yen

X5 with 1 lens 45,000yen

X4 with 1 lens 52,000yen

60D with 1 lens 65,000yen. 2 lens kit 75,000yen

5D Mk II Body 140,000yen

Pentax K30 57,000yen

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/12/7 07:49
Would Japan-purchased cameras only have Japanese instructions? And the camera displays, would they only be in Japanese? Another point to consider
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/12/7 10:47
Thanks!!
Those prices i posted are body only.

How much is the exchange rate JPY to EUR?

Could you check also please...?

Pentax K5, K5 II K5 IIs.

Is the price of the K30 +18-55 WR or DAL?

Re: Buying a digital camera from Akihabara 2012/12/7 10:53
At kakaku.com could you buy it online?

How much time does your purchase need to be delivered to Tokio?

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

reply to this thread