Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/11/6 22:27
Will visit Hokkaido in Mac 2013. Is it proper to buy 5-day visit Sapporo - Asashiyama JR Hokkaido train pass? For 1st timer like me don't know Japanese, will it hard to travel on own. I need advise. Please
by elaine3848  

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/11/7 07:40
A rail pass is unlikely to pay off. Here are your travel options for your only long-distance trip (Sapporo-Asahikawa):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6891.html?aFROM=2163_6890
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/11/7 20:47
Thanks. Uji. The train pass is from Sapporo to hakodate to otaru to asahiyama and back to Sapporo. Is it wise to buy this type of ticket? I doubtful is this ticket with fixed schedule time or I can board any train that leaving to the destination.
by elaine3848 rate this post as useful

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/11/10 08:23
The train pass is from Sapporo to hakodate to otaru to asahiyama and back to Sapporo.

I see, the Hakodate in the title slipped my attention. If you do a round trip to Hakodate, I believe the rail pass will likely be cheaper than regular tickets. Discount tickets for the train round trip between Sapporo and Hakodate sell for around 12,000 yen. I think that is enough information to make the calculation.

I doubtful is this ticket with fixed schedule time or I can board any train that leaving to the destination.

You can board any train as explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_01.html

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/11/28 23:13
Hi, Uji,
Can I know the following from you cos can't find JJRHOKKAIDO customer support. It stated in the
Model course that Yunokawa Hotspring as hotel stay. Is it I must book this hotel or it is recommended only?

I plan to go to Abashiri after Asahiyama Zoo, is it wise I should go back to Sapporo or I should continue to Abashiri. By continue to Abashiri, train ticket to Sapporo and New Chitose Airport will be wasted.

Hope to receive your reply. Thanks
by elaine3848 rate this post as useful

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/2 08:59
It stated in the Model course that Yunokawa Hotspring as hotel stay. Is it I must book this hotel or it is recommended only?

"Model course" implies that it is a suggestion. What model course are you referring to?

I plan to go to Abashiri after Asahiyama Zoo, is it wise I should go back to Sapporo or I should continue to Abashiri.

It would be very unwise to return to Sapporo in between. Asahikawa is almost halfway between Sapporo and Abashiri.

By continue to Abashiri, train ticket to Sapporo and New Chitose Airport will be wasted.

Why? What train ticket? So far I assumed you were referring to the Hokkaido Rail Pass.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/2 18:34
Thanks, Uji. Glad to receive your reply. I am referring to JR Hokkaido 5-day visit to Sapporo, Hakodate, otaru and Asahiyama zoo.

I wonder I must utilize the 5-day ticket continuous in complete from new Chitose and end at New Chitose airport within 5 days or can use again after I back from Abashiri?

Abashiri - ice break cruise is one of my itinerary and JRHOKKAIDO 5-day ticket is well worth in terms of price.

I spent about 3 months to collect info but yet to finalize, appreciate your kind advice.
by elaine3848 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/3 11:44
I am referring to JR Hokkaido 5-day visit to Sapporo, Hakodate, otaru and Asahiyama zoo.

I am not aware of a ticket by that name.

I wonder I must utilize the 5-day ticket continuous in complete from new Chitose and end at New Chitose airport within 5 days or can use again after I back from Abashiri?

Assuming you refer to the Hokkaido Rail pass, after all, yes, it has to be used on consecutive days (except the flexible 4-day version).

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/3 13:15
Hi Uji

Below is the link for the 5-day model course

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/model/2008au_04.html

Indeed, I found one more link which is for 3-day which might be more applicabale for me:-

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/railpass/rail01.html

Is the model course still on-going?

Appreciate for spending your time to browse thru and assist on my doubts.

by EL3848 rate this post as useful

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/3 14:44
Is the model course still on-going?

The "model course" is simply a suggestion! You seem to confuse it with some organized tour package, which it is not.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/3 16:31
Thanks, Uji

I though I have to follow the 5-day itinerary. Meaning to say I purchase the ticket and I use it in 5 consecutive days within ANY DESTINATION in Hokkaido?

If yes, will my below plan proper/works?

2/27 - Arriving from New Chitose to Sapporo
2/28 - Sapporo / Otaru F&E

To use 5-day Pass onwards :-
3/01 - Sapporo - Asahikawa
3/02 - Asahikawa - Abashiri
3/03 - Abashiri - Sapporo
3/04 - Sapporo - Hakodate
3/05 - Hakodate - Sapporo

To book hotel with shuttle bus pick-up from
3/06 - Sapporo - Noboribetsu
3/07 - Noboribetsu - New Chitose - Narita
Is one night stay enough, cos shuttle bus pick-up at 2.00pm only and next day leaving to airport at 10.00am to catch 1.10pm flight. Is my time sufficient?

Or is it advisable to take JR Train to Noboribetsu early morning so that I can have more time to explore in Noboritbetsu.

I hope you don't mind my slow catch/understanding on the model course and many questions. Once again, thanks for clearing my doubts.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/4 08:13
I though I have to follow the 5-day itinerary.

No, you can do whatever you want. You can follow it exactly, or you can modify it, or you can ignore it completely. It is just a model course.

Meaning to say I purchase the ticket and I use it in 5 consecutive days within ANY DESTINATION in Hokkaido

Yes, the 5-day Hokkaido Rail Pass can be used on any train in Hokkaido for five consecutive calendar days:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_01.html

If yes, will my below plan proper/works?

Yes, it the pass will be of great value for such an itinerary. Please note, however, that some of these planned train trips take almost half a day. You would be spending a very considerable part of your days on board of trains. And only a little bit of time sightseeing. Some people may enjoy that, but I think for the average tourist it would be too much train travel and too little sightseeing.

You can look up travel times and regular fares here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

3/05 - Hakodate - Sapporo

To book hotel with shuttle bus pick-up from
3/06 - Sapporo - Noboribetsu

Noboribetsu is located between Hakodate and Sapporo. There is no need to return to Sapporo in between.

Also, instead of zigzagging across Hokkaido, I would try to enter and leave the island more geographically wisely, although that would require you to transfer between Tokyo's Haneda and Narita Airport. But compared to the endless hours spent on trains, I don't think that is big of an effort. For example:

Tokyo - Hakodate Airport - Hakodate - Noboribetsu - Sapporo/Otaru - Asahikawa - Abashiri - Memanbetsu Airport - Tokyo

Such a schedule would almost literally save you days of train travel.

3/07 - Noboribetsu - New Chitose - Narita
Is one night stay enough, cos shuttle bus pick-up at 2.00pm only and next day leaving to airport at 10.00am to catch 1.10pm flight. Is my time sufficient?

Yes, there isn't that much too see in Noboribetsu, unless you want to see the bear mountain or samurai theme park in which case you would be a little short of time.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/5 11:04
Thanks, Uji

Once again, Thank you for your suggested itinerary that looks more relaxing and save a lot on travelling time but regret that I am not able follow due to I have booked and flying Air Asia which need to land and take off from New Chitose Airport.

I have list out the below itinerary hope it works for my 9-day in Hokkaido.

2/26 KL- Haneda
2/27 Narita – New Chitose AP – Sapporo
2/28 Sapporo

JR Hokkaido 7-day Pass
D1 3/01 Sapporo – Asahikawa
D2 3/02 Asahikawa – Abashiri
D3 3/03 Abashiri – Sapporo / Otaru
D4 3/04 Sapporo – Hakodate
D5 3/05 Hakodate – Noboribetsu
D6 3/06 Noboribetsu–samurai village/hell vy
D7 3/07 Noboribetsu – New Chitose – Narita

3/07 – 3/11 Narita AP– Tokyo – Haneda AP – KL, Malaysia

Can you please advice should we (2 of us) take Ordinary Cars or Green Cars fare? Is it difficult to get seats if we take ordinary cars?

With your assistance and advice I had at least less worries on my holiday in Hokkaido.

I will post another question on my 5-day Tokyo tour, hopefully to hear from you again on some advices.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/5 11:41
Just for your information, I am going to list the number of hours you will be spending on transportation every day on five consecutive days. I am worried it is too much, as it doesn't leave much time for actual sightseeing in between:

D1: 2 hours
D2: 4 hours
D3: 6 hours
D4: 4 hours
D5: 3 hours

Can you please advice should we (2 of us) take Ordinary Cars or Green Cars fare?

If have extra money to spend, I recommend to invest it on better flights to/from Hokkaido rather than using Green Cars. Ordinary cars are also comfortable. On the other hand, if considering that you will spend a considerable part of your holiday on trains, the added comfort may be justified. It really depends on your budget.

Is it difficult to get seats if we take ordinary cars?

No, it is not usually difficult, especially if you reserve a few days in advance.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/5 14:35
Thanks, Uji

Looking at it, I will be ended up sitting in train with limited sightseeing time. Found an itinerary as below from a travel agent.

Is these destination easily reachable without car or a little bit remote area? Can JR Train going to Tokachikawa. Cos I found Takikawa so not sure is Tokachikawa in Takikawa?

Day 1,Hokkaido Chitose Airport – Sapporo

Day 2 Sapporo - Tokachikawa – Kushiro – Lake Akan Hot Spring

Day 3 Tokachikawa – Kushiro – Lake Akan Hot Spring

Day 4 Lake Akan – Lake Mashu – Mt Io – Abashiri (Ice Breaker Cruise)

Day 5 Abashiri - Sounkyo

Day 6 Sounkyo - Asahikawa

Day 7 Asahikawa - Sapporo

Day 8 - Sapporo – Otaru

Day 9 – Sapporo – Chitose Airport - Narita

Thank you spending time to follow up on my queries.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/5 23:45
Hi, Uji,

I will reschedule my plan (with train schedule) as below cos Drift Ice is my main visit for this trip and I can never have it in Malaysia.

D1 - 6 hrs : Sapporo to Abashiri (OK3 0941/1509)
D2 -0 hr : Abashiri
D3 - 4 hrs : Abashiri to Asahikawa (OK4 0930/1311)
D4 - 2 hrs : Asahiyama Zoo to Sapporo/ Otaru (OK2
1011/1146)
D5 -1.5hr :Sapporo to Noboritbesu (SH10
1037/1142)
D6 - 0 hr : Samurai Village / Hell Valley
D7 - 1 hr : Noboribetsu to New Chitose Airport (SH3
1041/1119)

I will forego Hakodate night view, hopefully this will reduce the hectic travelling time.

Any ideas which side of the train seats can get better view for Abashiri and Asahikawa trains ride?

Thanks for assistance and advise on my trip.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/6 08:44
It looks better. To the contrary, I am now worried you have too much time in Abashiri and Noboribetsu.

I understand there are quite a few snow related attractions around Abashiri. So maybe you are planning to see these? As for Noboribetsu, two days are too much for just the two attractions that you list, unless you plan to just relax there.

And I assume you visit the zoo on day 3 and not day 4. It is not possible to see the zoo and then ride a train to Sapporo at 10:11.

I will forego Hakodate night view, hopefully this will reduce the hectic travelling time.

If you were to use different airports, you would probably be able to visit everything without too much traveling time. And I think "hectic" is the wrong word. It is just very long hours on the train. And twice the same route.

Any ideas which side of the train seats can get better view for Abashiri and Asahikawa trains ride?

I don't think it makes a difference. But if you sit on the northern side, the sun won't be shining too strongly into your face and less likely prompt the travelers ahead of you to close their curtains on sunny days.

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/6 23:42
Uji san,
Yup, over looked I will go to Asahiyama zoo on D4 and leaving to
Sapporo at noon only. D5 to visit Otaru before depart to Noboribetsu. So I will have 1.5 days in Noboribetsu.

You are right - 2 days in Abashiri looks a little too much, try to search can only visit Museum (should I?) after drift ice or I should proceed to Asahikawa? Then add-in Daisetsuzan National Park after Asahikawa (but I notice best time to visit is May to October) or do you think I should go back to Sapporo and spend a day in ski resort? Any advice? Once again, domo arigato gozaimas

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asahimaya 2012/12/6 23:46
Uji San,

What snow attractions ? You refer to fishing?

Re: 5-day Sapporo, Hakodate, Otaru & Asashimaya 2012/12/7 07:58
I haven't been there myself, but some people in this forum have repeatedly brought up some snow related events around Abashiri, such as snow mobile experiences and the like, but I am afraid I have now problems finding much specific information.

reply to this thread