Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When to watch koyo in kyoto? 2012/11/8 15:36
hello,

we are staying from 19th to 20th and 27th nov to 1st dec in kyoto.

we would like to visit kyomizu dera, kinkakuji, ginkakuji, shinnyodo, nanzenji, eikando, tokufuji in kyoto, then we would like to see mino park in osaka and todaji in nara. amanohashidate and koyasan is also on our plan.

how should we plan it to see the best koyo colours during our time there?
help appreciated soon as our flight to tokyo goes tomorrow. ;)

thanks
snkfreak
by snkfreak (guest)  

Re: When to watch koyo in kyoto? 2012/11/8 18:47
we would like to visit kyomizu dera, kinkakuji, ginkakuji, shinnyodo, nanzenji, eikando, tokufuji in kyoto, then we would like to see mino park in osaka and todaji in nara. amanohashidate and koyasan is also on our plan.

I think you'll do fine. If you are staying for a several days, I'd recommend going first to Takao (the mountains temple/shrine complex area west of Arashiyama), particularly Jingo-ji first, as leaves turn red relatively early. Then see Arashiyama area, and finally Higashiyama area.

In Higashiyama, I'd suggest going to Kiyomizudera, Tofukuji, Nanzenji, Ekando, and Ginkakuji in Higashiyama area (also recommend Fushimi-Inari shrine, although it's not really known for autumn leaves).

You can check for Autumn leaves here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo12/121107_kyoto.html
by Momiji-gari (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When to watch koyo in kyoto? 2012/11/8 18:49
Apart from Takao, the surrounding areas of Kyoto known for Autumn leaves are Kurama and Ohara (Sanzen-in).

Amano-Hashidate is fine but you might be more interested in staying at Kinosaki-Onsen town.
by Momiji-gari (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When to watch koyo in kyoto? 2012/11/9 05:50
thanks, and on which of these days should we visit which temple? iam afraid that koyo will be over at most places if we come back from our trip to yakushima on nov 27th to kyoto. ;)
by snkfreak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When to watch koyo in kyoto? 2012/11/9 07:59
iam afraid that koyo will be over at most places if we come back from our trip to yakushima on nov 27th to kyoto.

I don't think so. I think November 27 and the following few days should still be good. This is how Kyoto looked on December 1, 2010, during a year whose pace is similar to this year's pace:
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo10/101201.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: When to watch koyo in kyoto? 2012/11/10 22:27
thanks as always uji.

we are now in shinjuku, landed safely today morning at around 9 o clock. ;)

do you have a tip on which days we should se which temples in kyoto? i think we should maybe check out tokufuji on our first stay around nov 20th. and which one too to see awesome koyo?

when to see nara and when is koyo in mino park?
by snkfreak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When to watch koyo in kyoto? 2012/11/11 08:19
do you have a tip on which days we should se which temples in kyoto?

Do you have to decide now? I recommend to consider upcoming autumn color reports and possibly the opinion of the tourist information desk staff in Kyoto for your decision of where to go.

If you have to decide now, then, yes, I would put Tofukuji onto my schedule (early mornings tend to be nice and less crowded). I would also consider Arashiyama and/or Ohara.

when to see nara and when is koyo in mino park?

Nara is about the same timing as Kyoto, but is nowhere as colorful as Kyoto - its temples are characterized by large gravel plazas rather than vegetation. But there are some nice koyo spots too. Nara Park, in particular has some nice maple and ginkgo trees. The park is also famous for early coloring Nankinhaze trees, which may already at their peak now. I think Mino Park tends to be relatively late, i.e. late November.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread