Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

iphone voltage different 2012/11/9 13:31
I have an Australian iphone 5 if I take it with me together with the charger and use it in Japan will voltage be a problem? I know Australia and Japan has different voltage and I think I most probably need to buy a Japanese adapter but can the phone still connect directly to this to the wall outlet? I will bring my phone with roaming service.

Please advise. Many thanks.
by weekf  

Re: iphone voltage different 2012/11/9 14:21
I have an Australian iphone 5 if I take it with me together with the charger and use it in Japan will voltage be a problem?

No, the iphone is supplied with a universal charger. You only need a plug adapter to fit it to Japanese outlets.

I know Australia and Japan has different voltage and I think I most probably need to buy a Japanese adapter but can the phone still connect directly to this to the wall outlet?

Yes. Alternatively, you can buy a cheap usb wall charger in Japan for under 1000 yen to use during your stay.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: iphone voltage different 2012/11/9 14:28
cool mate. thanks for your help.
by weekf rate this post as useful

Re: iphone voltage different 2012/11/9 14:29
You're correct, the charger will work in Japan and all you need is an adapter. To make it easier, bring an Australian powerboard and just use one adapter. Then you can charge all your Australian devices (that are multi-voltage) in the powerboard.

Check your phone provider and ask about their roaming charges! You might be better off renting a SIM card while you are in Japan. A little inconvenient because you have to tell everyone your temporary number, but a LOT cheaper.

Or you can rent a data only SIM and use skye and email.

Check here for prices, but there are other people that rent SIM cards too: http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/

I'm pretty sure Australian iPhone5 can be used in most countries where-as some of the US iPhones are US only?

Check the rental place is aware you have an iPhone5 that requires the new smaller SIM cards too.
by Obak3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: iphone voltage different 2012/11/9 15:03
FYI, If you want to use a prepaid or rental sim you will have to have an unlocked phone. You may want to rent a personal wifi hotspot instead so that you can use cheap data on your phone.

I'm pretty sure Australian iPhone5 can be used in most countries where-as some of the US iPhones are US only?

It depends on what we are talking about. Virtually all iphones can internationally roam in Japan. That is determined by carrier contracts.

Unlocking phones to use in different countries is a completely different matter. Successful unlocking depends on what country and what company you bought your phone from.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread