Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yet another question about cabs..... 2012/11/11 11:58
Do cabs in the Kansai region have GPS whereby the driver would be able to bring us to our destination if we just give them the postal code (eg. 605-0862) or the destination's phone number? If it does, it would definitely minimise any miscommunication, as I have a poor grasp of the Japanese language.

Thanks, again, for your helpful advice/comments!!
by Richard (guest)  

Re: Yet another question about cabs..... 2012/11/11 12:31
I do not remember seeing GPS systems on a majority of taxis in Kyoto. I think you can't count on them to be equipped with GPS.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2012/11/11 13:10
If you know where you plan to go then print out the address in Japanese including the phone number so that you can show it to them.

Note that in general an address translated into romaji/English is not as useful as the actual Japanese characters.

If you need assistance with working out the address in Japanese just post the address in English here or preferably link to the website if one exists.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another question about cabs..... 2012/11/11 13:26
Thanks, Uji & GC3, for your clarifications and offer of assistance. Guess I've to bring along the iPad, preloaded with the Japanese addresses of our destinations and showing them to the cab drivers. Cheers!
by Richard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another question about cabs..... 2012/11/11 14:39
Note that the postal code corresponds to the town, not an individual address or block. You're better off bringing the actual address, in Japanese, plus a phone number (to call if you get lost, or plug into the GPS if there is one).
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another question about cabs..... 2012/11/11 14:55
We travel in taxis in Kyoto pretty much all the time. I cant remember being in one that didnt have GPS, though the driver hasnt often needed it, so it is possible that some didnt have it.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another question about cabs..... 2012/11/11 15:36
The most reliable way is to tell the famous landmarks(Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Kyoto National Museum, Kyoto station etc.) or to show the printed official website (hotel's, or shop's)
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread