Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any onsen like furusato onsen? 2012/11/15 22:18
Hi guys, just heard furusato onsen, sakurajima has closed due to bankruptcy :( does anyone know of any other onsen which are also a shrine? I've had a good google on the subject but seems like furusato may have been unique in a) being an amazing shrine and b) having mixed NON NAKED bathing for the faint-at-heart stubbon super English among us! Are there any other onsen which you can wear a yukata into the water as in furusato? It was great for hiding tattoos which I know are a problem and my friend has many which rules out most onsen.
Cheers guys! (we're leaving at the weekend and I only just found out about furusato onsen!!)
by otherside27 (guest)  

Re: Any onsen like furusato onsen? 2012/11/16 08:08
a) being an amazing shrine

Indeed, I have never seen another bath that double-served as a shrine.

b) having mixed NON NAKED bathing for the faint-at-heart stubbon super English among us!

This, however, is not unique. There are similar baths where you can cover yourself up in some kind of clothing.

Among them, the Okuhida Garden Hotel Yakedake in Okuhida has great, strong sulfur waters and open air baths:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5942.html

Seni Onsen's cave bath also provides clothing, but the bath can only be used by staying guests and it can be difficult to get reservations because of the ryokan's popularity (it is my favorite onsen ryokan in all of Japan):
http://www.hikyou.jp/nagano/seni/seni.htm

In both cases mentioned above, I think that men don't get a clothing that covers up the entire body like at Furusato Onsen, but just some kind of rope around the waist. Not enough to cover up a tattoo on the shoulder, for example.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Any onsen like furusato onsen? 2012/11/16 11:00
Thanks for the info, am I right in thinking that's near Hida-Takayama, or close enough? I'll take a look as I will be visiting Takayama with my friend, but he knows his extensive tattoos may be a problem. Guess he's staying at the hostel watching Ghibli DVDs! Thanks for answering my question, still think it's so sad the furusato onsen shrine is just being left - even if the hotel weren't open if they marketed to foreigners more they would get loads of business from Britain, at least!!
by otherside27 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any onsen like furusato onsen? 2012/11/16 11:25
Okuhida is close to Takayama. In fact, it is even part of the municipality of Takayama City - Takayama City is one of the largest municipalities of Japan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5941.html

A big tattoo could pose a problem at the above mentioned bath. Alternatively, you could consider private baths, although private baths tend to be smaller and less spectacular than the public baths.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Any onsen like furusato onsen? 2012/11/16 11:36
That's great - I think there's even a bus I can take from Takayama station! It might sound harsh but now I've had a look at some photos I really want to go, my friend might get a bit left out if it's an onsen town and he can't bathe, but the hostel does other excursions. I've always wanted to go to a sulphur onsen! Thanks so much for the recommendation - it helps ease the pain of not being able to go to furusato onsen again!
by otherside27 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread