Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica N'ex Pass 2012/12/10 11:01
Is the Suica N'ex pass good to use any day or do you have to use it on consecutive days? Is the card Rechargeable? As i understand you can buy it in Narita airport for a max of 4 days for 3500y.
1500 toget to Tokyo
500 for deposit
1500 to use for travel
You get approx 300 of the 500 back when you turn the card in.
Is all that correct. Seems like a good deal if one is in Tokyo for a week. I think a regular train Narita Tokyo is 3000y.
Can i activate my JR pass in Narita also? I intend to buy JR pass in the us.
Are there any good suggestion for somewhere to stay in Tokyo in Feb for about 1500 to 2000y a night. I will be there a week. Thanks for the replys.
by rawmati  

... 2012/12/10 11:22
Is the Suica N'ex pass good to use any day or do you have to use it on consecutive days?

Suica can be used on any day, it only expires when you haven't used it for 10 years. The N'EX is usually used immediately to get to Tokyo but you can use it for any specified day.

Is the card Rechargeable?

The Suica is yes.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

As i understand you can buy it in Narita airport for a max of 4 days for 3500y.

There is no max.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_suica_nex.html

1500 toget to Tokyo

Essentially that is the price of the N'EX component.

500 for deposit

Yes.

1500 to use for travel

Yes.

You get approx 300 of the 500 back when you turn the card in.

You get 500 back if you have a zero balance. The extra charge is if you have an outstanding balance on the Suica and want it refunded as well.

Is all that correct.

See above.

Seems like a good deal if one is in Tokyo for a week.

It is, that's why it is usually recommended.

I think a regular train Narita Tokyo is 3000y.

The N'EX is usually that price, yes.

Can i activate my JR pass in Narita also?

You can exchange your voucher for the actual JR Pass. When you exchange you specify the activation date which can be some time in the future. In your example you could specify it as the date you leave Tokyo to explore the rest of Japan.

I intend to buy JR pass in the us.

It must be purchased outside Japan so that's good.

Are there any good suggestion for somewhere to stay in Tokyo in Feb for about 1500 to 2000y a night. I will be there a week.

That is a low amount. What exact dates?

In general you should be able to find something around that price in dorm rooms in a hostel.

Search here:-
http://www.hostelworld.com/

Feel free to post the rest of your itinerary including dates if you want advice on which pass suits you the best.

If you are on a budget investigate overnight buses which saves you on transport and accommodation and also the Willer Express Bus Pass
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2369.html

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica N'ex Pass 2012/12/10 13:11
Are there any good suggestion for somewhere to stay in Tokyo in Feb for about 1500 to 2000y a night.

The budget sounds too tight to stay overnight even in so-called a business hotel.
Maybe a hostel is available without meals.

As i understand you can buy it in Narita airport for a max of 4 days

A one-way "Suica & NfEX" package includes a day ticket for the way from NRT.
A roundtrip "Suica & NfEX" package includes a pair of day tickets for the way from and the way back to NRT; these tickets are valid for 2 weeks.

The ticket in a "Suica & NfEX" package is not a rail pass for unlimited travels.
This ticket is a day ticket which is valid within the designated usage area.
Unlike a rail pass, this ticket does not allow you to turn back or to exit and re-enter the usage area.
- http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html
As you see on the map, the usage area is covering Tokyo and some neighboring parts.
Within the usage area you can make a transfer between a Narita Express and a non-express trains and between non-express trains, unless you turn back.

Suica and PASMO are fare-collection systems.
A Suica Card or a PASMO Card does not give a discount in particular, but it can save time for handling cash and purchasing paper tickets.
Suica-PASMO network is wider than the usage area of the day ticket; with one IC Card you can take trains on JR and non-JR sections.
Unlike the day ticket, a Suica Card or a PASMO Card does not work as an express ticket or a liner ticket; in order to take a JR express train / a Keisei liner train you should pay for the charge separately.

I think a regular train Narita -- Tokyo is 3000y.

Please note that Narita Station is another station, which is outside NRT airport.
Each of the four stations (of JR-East and Keisei) in the two NRT terminals has a name including a word "airport."

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Suica N'ex Pass 2012/12/10 15:43
Thanks for your help. I will get back to you with my firm dates etc for Tokyo accommodation. It will be about the first week in Feb 13 i am sure.
by rawmati rate this post as useful

reply to this thread