Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I buy Shinkansen ticket on the spot? 2012/12/10 12:37
If I reach Shinagawa station at 6:21am, can I buy shinkansen ticket and seat reservation to Kyoto on the spot?

What is the operating hour for JR Ticket Offices (Midori-no-madoguchi)?

Thanks
by Alex (guest)  

Re: Can I buy Shinkansen ticket on the spot? 2012/12/10 12:39
Yes, if there are vacant seats, you can make a reservation on the spot.

What is the operating hour for JR Ticket Offices (Midori-no-madoguchi)?

At Shinagawa Station it is from 5:30 to 23:00.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Can I buy Shinkansen ticket on the spot? 2012/12/10 13:03
Thank you.
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I buy Shinkansen ticket on the spot? 2012/12/11 01:49
unless it's a holiday it's almost never an issue finding a seat. Whenever I get up and head to the station, that's when get the ticket. I like to have flexible plans.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I buy Shinkansen ticket on the spot? 2012/12/11 05:51
BTW
If you find you can not make a reservation because all reserved seats are taken, or for instance the seats on the right side are occupied (this is the side from where you can see Mt Fuji), you can always try to get a seat in the non-reservation cars. The earlier you can get in line on the platform the more lucky you can get. For me this worked a couple times.
Also because the trains bound fot Kyoto start at Tokyo station you can be more lucky to get a seat in the non-reserved cars at this station.
Have a nice trip
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/11 06:31
If I reach Shinagawa station at 6:21am, can I buy shinkansen ticket and seat reservation to Kyoto on the spot?

What date are you travelling?
What airport do you arrive at? What date/time?
What airport do you depart from? What date/time?
What is the rest of your itinerary?

If you are happy to pay full fare for your ticket then as already explained you can purchase your ticket at Shinagawa.

If you arrive late the night before or early in the morning at Haneda and wish to use your JR Pass to get a seat to Kyoto then you can't do so at 6:21am as you won't be able to exchange your JR Pass in time.

It is possible that a JR Pass won't pay off for your itinerary but it may be worth investigating, depending on your answers to the above questions.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread