Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

info on Suica card 2012/12/11 18:02
Hi,

I am visiting Tokyo for 5 days, Kyoto 3 days and Osaka for 2 days am I able to use a normal Suica card within these cities? Am I able to purchase this ticket only when we touch down in Haneda airport then use it straight away to travel to Shinjuku where we are staying and all Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka metro area?

Thanks.
by weekf  

... 2012/12/11 18:47
I am visiting Tokyo for 5 days, Kyoto 3 days and Osaka for 2 days am I able to use a normal Suica card within these cities?

What exact dates?

Before March 23, 2013 - Tokyo yes, Kyoto - only on JR, Osaka, only on JR.
If you wish to use the subways in Osaka or Kyoto (you probably will) then the Suica won't work and you'll need to buy an ICOCA, or individual tickets.

On and after March 23, 2013 - Tokyo yes, Kyoto yes, Osaka yes. The exception may be the Kyoto buses which currently don't accept IC cards, they might after March I guess.

Am I able to purchase this ticket only when we touch down in Haneda airport then use it straight away to travel to Shinjuku where we are staying

You should be able to buy Suica from a ticket machine near the monorail. Alternatively, you could buy a Pasmo although it is not valid in Kyoto/Osaka until after March 23, 2013.

Although it is not clear from your question you can't use Suica to travel on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, you would have to purchase a separate Shinkansen ticket.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: info on Suica card 2012/12/11 20:28
We will be travelling in end of Dec 12. Thanks GC8 for your help.

Cheers.
by weekf rate this post as useful

Re: info on Suica card 2012/12/12 12:23
Can I use Suica card at Kyoto (24/12/12-27/12/12) for the following line:

- Keihan Main Line Local
- JR Nara Line Rapid Service (Suica ok)
- JR Special Rapid Service (Suica ok)

Also can I use Suica card at Osaka (27/12/12-29/12/12) for the following line:

- Osaka Loop Line
- Nankai Main/Airport Line Local
- Nankai Koya Line Semi-Exp.
- Nankai Koya Line Exp.
- Nankai Koya Line Sub Exp.
- JR Kansai Airport Rapid Service (Suica ok)
- Osaka City Subway Chuo Line
- Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line
- Nankai Airport Exp.

The above are the lines that I will most probably use when travelling within the cities, I put a eSuica okf next to JR as according to you all JR is fine to use Suica but I am not sure about others. I would like to know if most of these lines are ok to use Suica as I need to plan if I need to pay for further ecreditf after I finish visited Tokyo (then to Kyoto, then to Osaka in this order).

I didnft list any of the lines that I will be using in Tokyo metro as they are all ealmostf possible to use a Suica.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: info on Suica card 2012/12/12 12:27
Osaka loop line belongs to JR network. It's JR line.

Other than that, Suica is not accepted before March 23.
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/12 12:40
Like cc said, no.

Just buy an ICOCA when you get to Kyoto, you can do so easily enough from ticket machines, just press the English button.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: info on Suica card 2012/12/12 14:58
When getting an Icoca to use in Kyoto will I be able to use it when I travel from Kyoto to Osaka? I think they are only normal rail linking the two cities nothing like a Shinkansen thingy which need a special kind of ticket?

Thanks.

reply to this thread