Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan 2013/1/8 01:45
It's decided I will move to Japan with my Iranian Fatherand I am 17 (I am Half Japanese, but born in Germany).

However I still am a bit unsure about a few things:

1) I have a flat very cheap and no guarantor needed. But How will I be able to pay it from London so when the day I arrive in Japan I can move into my apartment?

2) How can I apply for a school over there?

3) My flat is 5,500 but how much will I need for Food, Transport etc.

4) Dont worry I can speak the language

5) Will I be stopped at the Airport (I have german passport btw).

Yeah thats it really. I have seen many Blacks, Whites, Middle Easterns over there so I dont think I should have a problem.

Answer those questions please and if I am missing anything then please tell me e.g. Student Visa blablabla.

by Ryuji Darvish (guest)  

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/8 10:55
1) You need to ask the real estate agent! With regular landlord, bank remittance is normal.
2) Once you move in, if you speak/read/write the language, you could ask a public high school near where you live, see if they take students mid-year, and if they do you could sit for an exam. Be sure to take some documentss certifying your school grades and which years you've completed.
3) 5,500 what?
4) OK
5) You won't be "stopped" if you just visit, but are you "moving" to Japan? Unless you have Japanese nationality, you will not be able to stay long. Is your mother Japanese and living in Japan already? Are you going to live with her?

I'm not going to say any blablabla, but (1) if you come with that attitude you'll have problem, and (2) you need to think about what visa you and your father will have in Japan.
by Anonymous this time (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/8 11:23
Will I be stopped at the Airport (I have german passport btw).

You will be stopped if you do not have a round trip airline ticket. If you travel with a German passport then you need to prove that you have no intention to overstay your visa. If you travel without a Japanese passport or a Japanese visa then you might be in trouble. To immigration it does not matter you have a Japanese name, they want a proof you are not a possible overstayer and that you will leave Japan.
by The guest guy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/9 01:11
Its Y5,500. And no my nationality is German. And yes I will live there forever. No I dont have a Japanese Visa. No my mom lives in UK. Its just me and my Father we both have British passports. And dont tell me things like : No you cant stay. Because when I was in Tokyo and Osaka I saw a lot of Whites, Blacks, Middle Easterns and Indians. Living there permantly.
by Ryuji Darvish (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2013/1/9 01:46
And no my nationality is German. And yes I will live there forever. No I dont have a Japanese Visa.

You will need one. Or to work out some way to get your Japanese Passport if you are eligible.

Its just me and my Father we both have British passports.

In which case you will need to apply for an appropriate visa. You can't just randomly go to Japan and live there.

And dont tell me things like : No you cant stay.

No, you can't stay.

Because when I was in Tokyo and Osaka I saw a lot of Whites, Blacks, Middle Easterns and Indians. Living there permantly

More than likely they all would have had appropriate visas.

I think you may need to do some more research before making the move.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/9 02:46
You seriously mean your flat rent is around 55 euros per month? I've seen camping tents here more expensive than that.

A very important question: is your mother a Japanese national, or simply of Japanese descent/ethnicity?

If it's the former and she has registered your birth with the Japanese government (added child to koseki tohon, someone correct me if I'm wrong), I'd advise you to read over carefully the following document, especially article 3: http://www.moj.go.jp/ENGLISH/information/tnl-01.html.

While you're at it, look into visa options for your father (and eventually yourself): http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html
by Pirilampo rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/9 09:17
German nationals (or British nationals) coming to Japan just with their passports can visit Japan for up to 90 days as Temporary Visitor, but if you intend to stay any longer, you will need an appropriate visa.

Because when I was in Tokyo and Osaka I saw a lot of Whites, Blacks, Middle Easterns and Indians. Living there permantly

They must have had appropriate visas, including employer-sponsored work visa, student visa, dependent or spouse visa (if that applies), or permanent resident status (which you can apply for after having lived here on work visa for 10 years or so), etc. Just because you saw them, it doesn't mean you can automatically move here for good. Please look into visa issue.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/9 12:27
I don't understand the nationality being German but having a British passport bit. It sounds odd to me.

by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

... 2013/1/9 12:37
I don't understand the nationality being German but having a British passport bit. It sounds odd to me.

You can get a British Passport due to where your parents were born, and they allow dual passports. A number of Australian Nationals have an Australian and a British Passport for example.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/11 03:51
The best source of accurate information about moving to Japan is the Japanese embassy or consulate nearest to your home.
You and your father will have to see them anyway to get a visa.
And please don't be cocky with them...loose the attitude!

There isn't a single country that allow people to just pop-in and stay there permanently without special paperwork.

In addition Japan doesn't have a tradition of accepting tons of immigrants--unlike North America, for example. And even in North America it now can take many years before one get a landed immigrant visa.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/12 13:05
Unfortunately, nationality does matter here. If you try to come into Japan with a one-way ticket and no visa, they will likely prevent you from boarding the plane. I was stopped and I HAVE a visa.

As mentioned, do you have dual nationality? You mentioned having both a British and a German passport. With either, you will be eligible for a working holiday visa if you turn 18 before you leave. Your father will not be, unless he is under 30 years of age.

http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/working-holiday.html

Some companies require a Japanese bank account and most (if not all) require you to be in Japan to sign the contract.

It's not that you can't stay, but you need to ensure you have all the necessary paperwork done. While it's not impossible to receive a more permanent visa while in Japan, it's notoriously difficult. My friend BARELY managed to get all the paperwork done before her 90 visa expired.

For a PERMANENT visa, you have to work in a contributing job (not manual labor) for usually 5 years or more.

As for food, entertainment, etc...I live rather frugally and live on between 5000 and 10,000 yen per week, depending on what I eat that week. If you want to enjoy yourself, budget at LEAST 50,000 yen per month.

Not to be rude, but as mentioned several times, we're here to help you but if you act like that in Japan, you're going to run into problems. This forum gets a lot of questions just like yours (but usually without so much attitude). In fact, a simple Google search might have answered most of yours...
by RaikouNeko rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/18 05:10
I don't have any answers to the questions, but I want to tell the others who supposedly are answering that they need to grow up. This person simply asked for answers to questions, which IS what this forum IS FOR. They get a cocky response, then when telling people to not be cocky, is accused of BEING cocky. In what way did this person even suggest entering Japan without a proper visa? They are asking what steps to take, not stating that they will simply enter as they wish. You people need to either get off of your pedestals before "answering" or not answer at all.
by mizushui8836 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan 2013/1/18 07:30
That's sound so odd.

Be aware that in japan they can stop you and ask for visa and etc by law.

That's not only in the airport, they can stop you anywhere! 2 Cops stopped me in Ueno Station to check my Visa Status only because i was running (upper late to my train).

That's my advice. Go legally, they always catch illegal immigrants.
by resetme rate this post as useful

reply to this thread