Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/15 05:37
I am a Japanese citizen with a green card. I came to the US when I was 2 years old and have been living here since. My immediate family live in the US also. I have never lived in Japan but still obtain a Japanese citizenship. Almost close to 3 months ago, I married an American Citizen. I am confused as to if I need to report the marriage to Japan if we do not plan on living there yet. I have heard that we need to report the marriage within 3 months but I do not have a permanent address in Japan.
Any advice as to if I need to report it to the Japan? Will this impact changing my name? Can I keep my Japanese passport in my maiden name? Any help will be appreciated!
by Mayumi (guest)  

Re: Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/15 15:35
Any advice as to if I need to report it to the Japan?

Yes, you're supposed to report it to the consulate.

Will this impact changing my name? Can I keep my Japanese passport in my maiden name?

It's up to you. You can keep your name or change it to your husband's name.

You can keep your name the same in Japan and use your husband's name in the US. If you do that, you can add both names to your passport.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/15 16:29
As long as you remain a Japanese national, yes, you are supposed to report it. My experience:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+92860

You can keep your maiden name in your "koseki," thus your passport, because your marriage to a non-Japanese national does not affect your "koseki" - your marriage to him will be stated in the "remarks" column of your "koseki." On the contrary, if you WANT to change your "koseki" name to your husband's, that requires some family court intervention, so I guess you wouldn't want that :)

As for name, I don't know how you handled the name change in the US, but for myself, because I am a Japanese national, and UK authories do not have any authority to change my name, I retained my maiden name in the UK after the marriage as well. I believe that the US doesn't have authorities to change your name either, right? Or are you using hyphenated name in the US?

However, for convenience' sake, there is a way to enter your husband'sfamily name into your Japanese passport as well (IF you prefer, that is). I chose this so that this serves almost as a proof of our marriage when we travel outside Japan together.

When you apply for your next passport, you can ask that your name appears as this:
Hanako Suzuki (Smith)

Still your "official" name is Hanako Suzuki in Japan, so when you buy air tickets and things you use your maiden name, but with this in parenthesis, it easily shows that you are married to, well, Mr. Smith.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/15 18:05
I believe that the US doesn't have authorities to change your name either, right?

The US will let her use Hanako Smith on her green card, driver's license, and any other US document. This is true even if she doesn't change her name in Japan.

Re: Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/15 18:52
To . (guest),

Oh, thanks for letting me know.

On the UK side (where I got married) they simply noted on the marriage certificate automatically that "the bride maintains her maiden name," so that's what continued to appear on my UK resident permit document and everything. (I guess they preferred to keep all personal documents - Japanese and British -) consistent.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/16 00:15
So if I do change my name in the US; I can keep all the US documents as Hanako Suzuki Smith and then the passport can stay as Hanako Suzuki (Hanako Smith)?

I was a bit reluctant to have the green card and passport have different names since they were travel documents.

I don't need to obtain a new koseki but should just report the marriage which means I will stay under my fathers?

Thank you for your help!
by Mayumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/16 00:51
One more question...I read the embassy guideline. It says that I have to submit a certificate for my koseki? I do not have one, do I need to go get one from my parents?

My Japanese reading ability is not as strong as it used to and the directions in what I need to submit are hard for me to understand, is there anywhere that is listed in English? or can I just go to the consulate and they will let me know?

What happens if I do not meet the 3 month deadline? I am cutting it close, I have only 11 days left.

by Mayumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reporting US marriage in Japan 2013/1/17 09:51
So if I do change my name in the US; I can keep all the US documents as Hanako Suzuki Smith and then the passport can stay as Hanako Suzuki (Hanako Smith)?

Basically, yes.

I was a bit reluctant to have the green card and passport have different names since they were travel documents.

I've never heard of that being a problem. Until you update your passport, you may want to carry a copy of your marriage certificate with you.

It says that I have to submit a certificate for my koseki? I do not have one, do I need to go get one from my parents?

You can get it yourself. Get your parents to help you if you don't know how. You should keep a copy of it for yourself for future reference.

can I just go to the consulate and they will let me know?

Yes, that's their job. They speak English. Call them.

reply to this thread