Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 09:18
Just wondering if anyone can confirm that there is a Sakura Festival in Yoshino and an exact date? I've seen it mentioned for April 11-12, is this definite?
by remark  

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 09:46
In Yoshino, Nara Prefecture? I thought that the entire blooming season is treated as a sakura festival. As for the timing of this year's blossoms, it is too early to make reliable predictions.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 10:15
According to the event calendar of Kinpusen-ji in Yoshino, the annual sakura festival is held on April 10-12 but no parade on April 10. We went for the festival a few years back and fully enjoyed the colourful festive parade on April 11.

http://www.kinpusen.or.jp/event/hanaku.htm

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 10:28
Thank you for that information! Unfortunately as I can't read the language, I'll have to take your word for it :) I can see 10,11,12 though and some translation through Bing. Just to confirm can you let me know if that information is current for 2013?

We plan to be there on April 12th.
by remark rate this post as useful

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 10:52
I wish I can confirm for you but I can't.

The webpage is pulled from Kinpusen-ji official website. You can try making enquiry to them at their email address below but I am not sure if English is used.
office@kinpusen.or.jp

Another place you may ask for information is Yoshino tourist information center whose email address is
kankou_s@town.yoshino.lg.jp

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 11:09
William5 - I will be in Kyoto at that time and plan on making a day trip to Yoshino...
May I ask if you did a day trip and took the train?
Was it a complete mob scene in Yoshino?
Last year I was in the area about two weeks earlier - too early for sakura pretty much so I really guess I should go even if it is crowded.....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 12:09
Hi Maranyc

We used Osaka as our base for Yoshino as the 2 places have direct rail link. We went early in the morning and were back in Osaka for a late lunch slightly past 14.00.

Yes, there were crowds up there during the festival but have no fear. Japanese people are very polite and they are more accommodating. We hate crowds but over in Japan they only add to the festive feel, so nowadays whenever we go over there we aim for some special events to be with the crowds.

So have fun and enjoy the spectacular view on the mt. slope.

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 13:05
Thanks, William5!

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 14:23
Thanks William5.

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 14:58
Maranyc and remark, hope you both enjoy Yoshino as much as we did.

Forget to mention one thing. Upon arriving in Yoshino DON'T take the ropeway up the mt.! There is a temporary bus station on your left as you exit the rail station. Take the bus and it will save you a lot of hiking uphill. The bus will take you to the parking lot near Chikurin-in which would require nearly 30 min walk uphill from the top of the ropeway station. To get the postcard view of the cherry blossom on the mt. slopes and the valley you still have to hike uphill for another 20 min. or so to Hanayagura View Point. It is just a look-out on a bend of the winding road. If you want you can still hike further up but for us it was more than enough. Going back down is relatively easy. We walked back down all the way to the ropeway station and actually followed the matsuri procession while passing Kinpusen-ji. We took the ropeway back down to the rail station.

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 19:21
Thanks for that useful information!

When you went to the festival was it just held at the mountain?

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/17 22:45
Yes, the parade is held only up in the mountain.

But during the festival there are temporary stalls put up both outside the rail station and at the top of the ropeway station. They are worth browsing through for souvenirs as well as a taste of Kaki-no-ha sushi which is said to be a specialty in Yoshino.

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/18 07:09
Thanks for the additional info, William5!

And what about the train - is a seat reservation possible, necessary, recommended?

Thanks!

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/18 10:22
Maranyc, thanks for reminding me about this important aspect.

Yes it is recommended to reserve the train ticket. We were using Kintetsu Rail Pass and were able to book our seats a couple of days beforehand while we were still in Ise. On the day of travel (Apr 11) the train was full, probably because it was the day for the parade.

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/1/18 12:43
William5 - sorry to beat this to death - I will be taking the Kintetsu Ltd. Exp. from Kyoto to Yoshino - it's my only trip on that line so I don't think I need a pass so hopefully I can buy a reserved seat ticket the afternoon before or the day before depending on when I plan to go....as I will be in Shikoku before I arrive in Kyoto where I will stay for 4 nights...
Thanks again for all your advice!

Re: Yoshino in April 2013/3/12 00:40
There is some information on the Yoshino tourism page http://www.yoshinoyama-sakura.jp/english/events.htm

It seems that there will be a flower festival on the 11th and 12 of April but it's not clear what actually takes place and what time etc.
by Kikuya (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread