Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Fish Market 2013/2/4 16:32
From Asakusa Area to Tsukiji Fish Market, taking taxi how much will it cost?
by cuteboy andy (guest)  

... 2013/2/5 08:53
3000-3500 yen.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2013/2/5 09:19
thanks. do you think is worth wake up early take taxi and pay 3000-3500 yen for the tuna auction?
one more question: when is first train to Tsukiji market on toei Asakusa line from Asakusa ?
by cuteboy andy (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2013/2/5 09:28
Yes, I think so. I'd try and arrive around 3:45am or so.

when is first train to Tsukiji market on toei Asakusa line from Asakusa ?

You can look up train fares/timetables
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Just put a start time of 2am to find the first trains, usually around 5am.

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2013/2/5 09:34
thanks
by cuteboy andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2013/2/18 03:55
why need to arrive so early? isn't the first round take place at 05:20?
if we decide to skip the Tuna auction, what is the best time to arrive?
by atar (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2013/2/18 05:41
why need to arrive so early?

They only let 120 people see the auction per day. There have been many reports of people showing up at 4:30am or 4:15am and missing out. Of course, if it happens to not be a busy day you may be fine arriving a little later, but I'd rather not risk it.

isn't the first round take place at 05:20?

Yes, but you have to queue to ensure you get a spot.

if we decide to skip the Tuna auction, what is the best time to arrive?

I think 7am or 8am, have sushi for breakfast, see the outer market, and then as soon as it is 9am walk through the wholesale market.

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2013/2/18 16:20
Thank you!
by atar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2013/2/19 01:57
Isnt it bothersome for the market if tourists go to hog up space if theyre not actually there to get anything? Although Ive never understood why going to a fish market is always on the attractions list for tokyo.
by MayMay (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2013/2/19 06:04
Isnt it bothersome for the market if tourists go to hog up space if theyre not actually there to get anything?

That's why the Tuna Auction is now restricted to 120 people who are basically kept in a small corridor in the middle of the Tuna Auction Hall and aren't allowed to stray outside that small section. They also strictly enforce no flash photography.

It is also why the wholesale market is not open to tourists until 9am when most of the main trade is complete.

A few years ago this was not the case but unfortunately arrogant, rude, ignorant tourists would get in the way, touch the fish, use flash photography, etc. so they have introduced restrictions to help assist maintaining some order and to minimise inconvenience to the workers.

Although Ive never understood why going to a fish market is always on the attractions list for tokyo.

The sheer volume and variety of seafood is pretty amazing for most tourists. Also, the whole process and atmosphere especially when busy is interesting to see. The expertise required to judge the fish and precisely carve the fish when preparing them for sale is also interesting I think.

I believe Japan consumes ten percent of the world's catch so the scale is pretty amazing really.

Obviously it is not for everyone, but I think it is an interesting place and I usually recommend it.

Have you been? Did you not find it interesting?

reply to this thread