Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/7 23:55
Staying in osaka most of the time and planning day trips to yoshino mountain for the cherry blossoms. is yoshino very near to nara?

say a day trip to yoshino in the morning then the nara park in the afternoon then back to osaka? is this possible?
by Owen Monilla (guest)  

... 2013/2/8 11:09
Your options between Yoshino and Nara are explained here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4151.html?aFROM=2165_4150

Yes, you could do both in one day if you wish.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/8 11:52
i saw the route but is there any direct trains from osaka to yoshino without passing nara? i assume nara to yoshino is a long way
by Owen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/8 11:55
Yoshino is a very popular cherry blossom viewing point.
When I visited it was extremely crowded and everything took much longer than planned.
The train was also packed.

I would not recommend doing both on one day.
Mt. Yoshino is very spacious and there are several temple facilities and observation spots you might want to enjoy!

Also, try not to go on a weekend to Yoshino, it will be too crowded!
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/8 12:17
definitely not on a weekend. but are there trains directly from osaka to yoshino?

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/8 12:44
I wouldn't recommend doing both Yoshino and Nara as a single day trip from Osaka neither. Half a day for Yoshino might be OK but Nara really deserves a more relaxed full day as there is much walking to do - and Nara is best explored on foot.

The exact date of visit has some bearing as well. If you are going for the sakura festival in Yoshino you should allow more time as the place will be jam-packed. We went for the festival leaving Osaka early in the morning and were only back to Osaka around 15.00 and yet still felt that we should stay longer in Yoshino to fully enjoy the spectacular view on the mt slopes!

Again going to Nara during cherry blossom season would take up more time than a regular visit. Worth a special mention is that after coming out from Todai-ji take an uphill trail on the left to go up to Nigatsu-do and Sangatsu-do with a nice view of the deer park below. But more importantly is that from there if you walk along the hillside to Kasuga Taisha you can come into close contact with lines of lovely cherry trees on your left by the gentle slope. Time is lost when you try to take in the panoramic view going up and down the slope taking pictures. Coming back down from Kasuga Taisha don't forget to go to Sagi-ike Pond. The pond is not big and neither are there many cherry trees, but with the picturesque Ukimido Hall by the lake it provides a lovely setting for taking pictures. We met a newly wed couple who brought their own photographic crew all the way from Taiwan to have their wedding photos taken there.

So hopefully allocate more time for Yoshino and Nara rather than rushing through both in a day.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/8 12:53
thanks for the wonderful advice. well take them into consideration.

lastly, after yoshino what else can we do or go to nearby before heading back to osaka?

planning to have 1 full day for yoshino and another for nara

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/8 16:46
A bit strange not being able to see your query about access to Yoshino from Osaka when I posted my last response. Anyway, there is direct rail link between Osaka Abenobashi station and Yoshino on the Kintetsu Railway.

http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/railway/Dia/pdf/120320/700501.pdf

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/8 17:08
Owen

On the way back to Osaka, you can visit Asuka-Fujiwara archaeological sites, which was the capital of Japan during very early period of J history. They are also listed in the tentative list of the World Heritage.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4175.html
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain IMPOSSIBLE 2013/2/9 00:36
Umm. I believe it's impossible to visit Nara and Yoshino in one day.
Both place are in same prefecture but Nara is in northern end place and Yoshino is in southern end place. You must take JR or Kintetsu Nara line to visit Nara. And you must take Kintetsu Minami Osaka line to visit Yoshino.
Kintetsu have complex lines. It's impossible to change from Nara line to Minami Osaka line directly unless you back to Osaka.
Kintetsu Nara line starts at Namba. Kintetsu Minami Osaka line starts at Abenobashi.
by GG (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/9 05:00
It's a bit tricky butI think it's possible. You have to start early and make sure you buy bento at maybe Kashihara Jingu to take it to Yoshino.

1) Take Kintetsu Minami-Osaka Line from Abenobashi Station to Kashihara Jingu Station. (You may be able to buy a ticket all the way to Yoshino)

2) Take Kintetsu Yoshino Line from Kashihara Jingu to Yoshino.

Enjoy Yoshino

3) Take Kintetsu Yoshino Line back to Kashihara Jingu Station. (You may be able to buy a ticket all the way to Kintetsu Nara below.)

4) From Kashihara Jingu Station, take Kintetsu Kashihara Line to Yamato Saidaiji Station.

5) At Yamato Saidaiji station, switch again to Kintetsu Nara Line and 2 more stations to Kintetsu Nara Station. I suppose you can walk or take a taxi as well.

Enjoy Todaiji and Nara Park.

6) From Todaiji, you can take Kintetsu Nara Station to Abenobashi, or walk 1km or so to JR Nara Station going back to Osaka Station.

A lot of line changes but shouldn't be that hard. Good luck.

by jomonstrider (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Yoshino Mountain 2013/2/9 11:30
thank you thank you so much guys... I will really study hard for these train system map just like when I was in Korea.... just know the transfer lines, line names etc and all should be just fine.

Lastly, what can you recommend regarding the pass that we can use for almost all train lines. i'm really confused of these passes. would you advice to buy one or just buy single way tickets from time to time?

thanks

After Yoshino 2013/11/3 11:07
" ... after yoshino what else can we do or go to nearby before heading back to osaka?"

Kashihara Jingu is on the Kintetsu line on the way back to Osaka. They have a "light-up" at 6PM when the Sakura is blooming.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread