Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 5: Posts 1 - 20 of 84

1 2 3 4 5
next

Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/2/29 10:35
I'm currently in the midst of applying to WASEDA's SILS right now, and I have some questions regarding the application process. It'll help if past applicants can help me on a few spots here

First, about submitting the SAT/ACT scores. Can they just be done electronically online through the official SAT/ACT website? SILS answered this question as Yes under their Q&A, but at the same time, other applicants are saying how they had to request results and blah blah. So which is it?

Second, about the original copies. I'm from the US so when I graduated from high school, I got a HS diploma that said I basically completed 12 years of education. If I go to my school office and ask them for a certified copy of my diploma with stamps, signs, whatever, then I'm good to go? Obviously, I can't give them my original one...

And third, I have to send all of my applications and other documents via mail in an envelope, but I wonder what kind? Just any kind of brown big envelop will do? And about the little photo, there isn't anywhere where I have to glue the photo onto (unlike ICU). So I just throw it into my envelope?

Sorry for such specific questions, but I just want to be on the safe side of all this, and avoid having to send something back and forth. Thanks for all the help!
by kei103  

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/2/29 23:57
First, about submitting the SAT/ACT scores. Can they just be done electronically online through the official SAT/ACT website? SILS answered this question as Yes under their Q&A, but at the same time, other applicants are saying how they had to request results and blah blah. So which is it?

I had my high school give me a copy of the results along with the copy of my diploma.

Second, about the original copies. I'm from the US so when I graduated from high school, I got a HS diploma that said I basically completed 12 years of education. If I go to my school office and ask them for a certified copy of my diploma with stamps, signs, whatever, then I'm good to go? Obviously, I can't give them my original one...

Yes, you just need to have your high school make a copy and stamp it with their offical stamp.

And third, I have to send all of my applications and other documents via mail in an envelope, but I wonder what kind? Just any kind of brown big envelop will do? And about the little photo, there isn't anywhere where I have to glue the photo onto (unlike ICU). So I just throw it into my envelope?

No, if I remember correctly (it's been over a year since I filled out the application) the picture will be used for your ID card and visa if you get in so you don't need to glue it to anything (other than the COE which you don't have to worry about until you are accepted). I do remember that they were very picky about the picture size though. I had to send mine twice because the first time the picture was just a tad too big.
As for the envelope, I used one of those big plain manila ones. No specific envelope needed.

If you have any other questions, just ask. I remember how confusing filling out the application was and how many times I emailed the Waseda staff asking so many questions. haha.
by Johanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/1 03:24

Oh, thank you very much for your answers!! Did you get accepted??

So about the SAT/ACT again. They want a paper form, and just online isn't enough?

Your answers were clear and helped me a lot so thanks! I might have other questions later as I'm doing all of this. Did you apply to ICU by any chance as well?
by kei103 rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/1 03:46
Okay I have another question again. Under step 3, Test Information.. they ask for your SAT reasoning, and you can enter "ACT (Direct)" under "other tests" column. What about SAT subject tests or AP tests? They don't want it?

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/4 13:47
For the SAT/ACT test score, CollegeBoard somehow messed up my order and they didn't send my SAT score in even though I rushed them so the Waseda staff emailed me about it. I originally sent them the receipt of the "I sent my SAT score online" but I didn't send them the paper score so I had to email them a pdf of my paper score. So I suggest you send the online score report and the paper score report.

I didn't put any other tests other than my SAT score. I took SAT subject tests but I thought by "other tests", they meant like standardized tests that are given in other countries so I didn't put down anything.

As for mailing, I mailed them through FedEx so I put everything in a manila envelope and then put that into one of those FedEx International envelopes. It was quite costly; it cost around ~$60 to send it from US to Japan.
by bb020708 rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/4 14:51
Ah thanks! I've been emailing someone at the SILS office back and forth so that's been helping me a lot along with these replies. $60 though?? That IS costly.. What did you do with your 4cm x 3cm photo by the way? It doesn't say what to do with it so I'm assuming paper clipping it to the back of the application..

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/4 22:07
Yup, the entire process was pretty pricey for me. I also applied to Sophia/Jouchi University, and the application fee itself cost me almost $500. It was ridiculous.

That's what I did. I clipped it to the front though, so that it would be the first thing they see.

I was way too scared to email someone from Waseda directly so I searched everywhere on the internet for answers lol Glad I could be of help!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/5 13:11
Ahh that's crazy! Did you get accepted to Waseda? How good do you think your essay was? I'm scared that my statements are not strong enough..

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 01:43
Yes, I got accepted to Waseda. I will be in my second year starting in April. =)

So about the SAT/ACT again. They want a paper form, and just online isn't enough?
I took the ACT quite a few years ago so I don't think they have them for online access so my only choice was by paper form. I'm not sure about your case...

Did you apply to ICU by any chance as well?
Nope, just Waseda.

Okay I have another question again. Under step 3, Test Information.. they ask for your SAT reasoning, and you can enter ''ACT (Direct)'' under ''other tests'' column. What about SAT subject tests or AP tests? They don't want it?

Hmmm... this one I'm also not sure about. You'll probably have to ask one of the Waseda staff.
I think my AP test scores were included in my classes and grades list that my high school sent. But it's been awhile since I did it so I could be wrong. Sorry.

From what I've heard from fellow students, the essay part is the hardest of the application process. A lot of people have said that if you get accepted for the interview there's a pretty good chance that you will make it into Waseda.
(I personally think I did TERRIBLE on the interview, I was so nervous... but I still got accepted so maybe it's true. I don't know.) But anyways, good luck!!! And if you have anymore questions just let me know. Also, let me know how it goes! =)

by Johanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 04:21
Ah I see I see. I got most of my questions answered by directly emailing the administration office :)

Do you think your essays were good? Strong vocabulary, lots of motivation, etc?

How was the interview?? Especially the written test part.. I looked at the statistics too and yeah you're right. Most people that gets through the interview usually gets accepted. But not always I suppose.

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 09:42
I actually find out whether I got in or not next Monday :)

I think my essay about the news article was pretty strong, although I felt like I could've written better if the word limit was longer. I spent hours on it and I had various people edit it a bunch of times.
My short paragraphs about what I want to do in SILS and after graduation was mediocre. It wasn't that amazing but I guess it would be slightly above average?
I didn't fill any of my essays with big SAT words or anything complicated.

Are you applying for this year's fall entry?

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 11:03
Oh good luck!! Does that mean you applied for the earlier batch? I applied for the second batch haha. Yes, for this years fall entry!

Yeah I think it's okay to not use big words, especially if you're not used to it. It just makes the whole essay sound like you tried to hard and it's not your natural writing style. I hope mine is good enough...

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 12:09
Thanks! And yup! Hopefully, I got in but if I didn't, I already got into Sophia's international studies department so I'll be there.

Yeah exactly. If it sounds like you've used a thesaurus for every other word, the admissions people will definitely get suspicious so don't go out of your way to look up new words.

Random question but are you Japanese?

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 12:41
Ah thanks for the thesaurus advice! And wow congratulations on getting into Sophia!!

Yup, I'm half Japanese, half Korean. But citizenship wise, U.S & Japan- Asian American

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 13:12
If you pass the documentation stage, you might have to do the interview+ essay test and they'll definitely compare the application essay to the test essay. When I had mine edited by English teachers and my friends, I changed around their edits to make it sound more like myself.

Thank you! You also applied to ICU? I have a couple of friends who are already there and one who'll be there starting this April!
Are you applying for SP1 or SP2? Do you know if the classes are separate depending on whether you're in SP1 or SP2?

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 13:27
Oh true true! So that means you might have to go through the interview process too huh? Do you know if the written essay test has the same prompt choices every year?

Yes I applied (or still am) to ICU! I'm the second batch haha. I don't know about class separations, but if your majors are the same, I don't think there's different classes depending on the season you're applying for.

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/6 23:55
Yup ;_; I'm dreading it. I hope I just automatically pass and not have to go through the interview and essay process. I get so nervous very easily so I feel like I would mess up the interview :( I heard that the interview is through Skype/ some webcam program unless you fly out to Japan so I guess that'll take away some of the nervous-ness but still, eee.
I'm not sure; I only read one blog that talked about the interview/essay out of the tens I've read about getting into SILS. The essay prompts he talked about sounded pretty tough though. (http://www.sodai.org/2010/01/getting-in-the-interview.html) If I get essay prompts like that, I have no clue what I'll write about.

Hmmm true true. Do you know what major you want to be at SILS?

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/7 08:22
Yeah I saw that site too. The prompts look super hard.. if they're the same every year, I can maybe practice a little.. but I'm sure it's different, yikes.

I don't have a specific major, hence liberal studies. But I picked Japanese, French, History, and Economics.

I just printed out my application form, and there's a part about photo card. Do I glue my photo onto the little square? Or clip it onto the form?

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/7 09:48
Yup :( Super unexcited if I pass the documentation stage and have to write an essay. I wish I could just write something about my life, and not about a "thoughtful" piece about a quote. I'm so bad at those kinds of essays ugh

I used double-sided tape and sticked it onto the application. I wouldn't use liquid glue because the paper around the photo might get wrinkly when it gets dry.

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/7 09:53
Same, same! And okay, they only want one photo for now right? Thanks!

Page 1 of 5: Posts 1 - 20 of 84

1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread