Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 10 of 15: Posts 181 - 200 of 288
prev
1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
next

Not going 2011/3/17 06:19
We were supposed to go from March 26th through April 8th with our 5-yr old son to celebrate our 10-yr wedding anniversary amidst the cherry blossoms. But we have cancelled our trip since we just won't be comfortable celebrating in Tokyo or Kyoto while the entire country is mourning.

We'll defintely go next year for the cherry blossoms. We love Japan. I pray for the safety and speedy recovery of everybody in Japan.
by Dukkar (guest) rate this post as useful

no, i wait to decide 2011/3/17 06:56
It's annoying how sensationalistic the media is and how contrasting the information. Still, I expect things to become more clear the coming days (scrapping the information myself?)
I have a ticket to go to Nagoya April 1st for an exchange. As far as I know I can go there. Yesterday the Embassy stated classification 5, meaning not to go to Japan when it's not essential. Today it's 3, meaning: some areas are a risk. I base myself on different media, like NHK, Al JAzeera and two Dutch canals.
Unless something really disastrous happens I'll wait till the 25th of March to make a decision. I have the time and I hope a more balanced and realistic input of information can make a more good decision. My fellow student decided to cancel, and my school told me they are not supportive of us going.
by estheryana rate this post as useful

A bit emptier... 2011/3/17 08:21
You are right, OhhSoAlyse. By a bit emptier I definitely don't mean a ghost town. Just that its not ridiculously crowded like it has been on my previous visits. But there are still plenty of people out in a about.

by B (guest) rate this post as useful

Postponing 2011/3/17 09:22
I've decided to postpone my trip to Tokyo to later this year based on the advice from my friends living in Tokyo and also my friend who was going to Tokyo from Osaka to see me. (Last I checked, she is looking in to canceling her flight from Osaka to Tokyo.) I trust their opinions and believe I would have a better time with them when the Japanese people will overcome this tragedy. And I truly believe the Japanese people will overcome. I'm so grateful that my Japanese friends are safe and I hope they remain to stay safe.

I was able to get a full refund from Continental Airlines and I re-booked my trip to include just Hong Kong and Taiwan through a different airline. I was also able to cancel and get a refund for my cell phone rental from Rentafone, whom been very quick to respond to my e-mails. Additionally, Justin from Rentafone, stated in an e-mail to me that that Kansai area is fine when I inquired if him and his family and friends were safe, so I think those visiting southern Japan should do well. However, my friend from Osaka said she did feel aftershocks so that may be expected.

I wanted to say something about the judging people on here. Whether you go or not go, it's your decision because you can only do what's right by you, but I don't think anyone on here has the right to judge someone who's trying to make the best decisions for themselves. We are all here to share our experiences so that others who are in a similar situation can make a decision for themselves.

Stay safe everyone and if anyone is in Japan later this year or Hong Kong or Taiwan in late March, early April, let's grab a drink! Cheers!
by Jack (guest) rate this post as useful

Canceled 2011/3/17 10:02
I have been reading this forum/website since the day the day this disaster happened. I just want to to say thank you to everybody's input and all the helpful information posted. I unfortunately had to cancel my trip today which was booked from 4/9-4/25. It pains me to do so because it was my graduation present to me and I worked hard preparing for this trip for many years. But nevertheless I do not think I should be in Tokyo or Kyoto right now as I feel I'm being selfish and insensitive and as receptive as some areas would be to having tourists I just don't feel right traveling there right after this issue. I'm also a nervous traveler and all this back and fourth information about radiation spreading bothers me, even if I'm not in the area or near it I just don't feel comfortable. But as each day passes there appears to be no concrete headway in the problem so today my family decided to cancel and plan a different trip.

To anybody flying Continental they (after much negotiation) waived the fee though it was past the March 31st date. They did so because we are now going to France but if you do make other plans they are quite obliging to accommodate and work with you. But they did say that they most likely in the next week they will be pushing this date back.

I hope to visit next year same time! Good luck to anyone traveling!
by micky (guest) rate this post as useful

just canceled 2011/3/17 12:01
unfortunately, i just canceled my trip for next month :( it breaks my heart. in my opinion, Japan needs some time to heal and recover. we feel that it won't be right to go there right now. with the current conditions, it would be too complicated.

i will miss the cherry blossoms season again :( . i will try again next year hopefully.

folks in japan, please take care. i know they can bounce from this!
by happyfez rate this post as useful

Thank you for the cancellations. 2011/3/17 12:42
Thank you to those who are cancelling their vacations to Japan. Japan does not need this tourist money, so be a little considerate and avoid visiting for a gala time when everybody in Japan is stressed out. I can't imagine what the residents must be going through when they see tourists posing for pictures and having fun!

Think twice before you make the trip... ...for the sake of the Japanese!
by BoomBang (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/17 12:53
Japan does not need this tourist money, so be a little considerate and avoid visiting for a gala time when everybody in Japan is stressed out.

Speak for yourself! There are millions of Japanese people who are not stressed out and would be very appreciative if damage to the tourism industry would not be unnecessarily increased.

I can't imagine what the residents must be going through when they see tourists posing for pictures and having fun!

Your understanding of the current situation in Japan is wrong. Most areas of Japan were not affected materially by the earthquake. For a large part of the population, especially in Western Japan, it is business as almost usual. That includes going out and having fun.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I'm still going! 2011/3/17 16:20
Uji is right!! it would be like if tourists started avoiding Sydney while Brisbane was flooding earlier this year!! - I.e. no real reason to do so.

While I have decided to cancel the Tokyo Leg of my upcoming trip with JTB (25th March to 6th April) I have done a little reorganizing am still go for Osaka/Kyoto.

For those of you already canceling trips in April/May why don't you wait a little longer? For all you know the nuclear incident may be solved within the next week, and people will begin returning to Tokyo and life will be as normal!

As far as I can see the nuclear issues are one of the only reasons to avoid travel to Japan ATM(and honestly it is unlikely to effect Tokyo hugely let alone the Kansai region), unless you plan to focus your trip in Tokyo/the North.

Yes, what is happening in the North is sad and a tragic loss, but the south of Japan is largely unaffected and still needs our tourist dollars to keep some families afloat!
by Kitty (guest) rate this post as useful

Uji's opinion ist requested 2011/3/17 17:02
Dear Uji,
A guest wrote the below comment:

«I am honestly not trying to scaremonger here..I have lived in tokyo for over 8 years and I am leaving this weekend to stay with relatives in the UK. I cannot believe pepole are considering actually taking a VACATION right now. We have scheduled power cuts - and now on the news UNscheduled cuts. We cant buy bread, rice or milk in our local supermarkets and the disruptions to travel are widespread. Im afraid my ganbarre has run out and I am not risking the safety and future of my two small children - and believeing the JP goverment? Im not even going there... Slate me all you like and say come to Tokyo..but please dont block up the roads for those of us trying to leave.»

Reading your answers in this forum I got the impression you're a down-to-earth person. And as you're a Japanese living in the surroundings of Tokyo and the news you have are «straight from the horse's mouth«, I'm interested to know what you think about that comment? It doesn't sound inviting.

Then I have a question:
I'm scheduled to visit Japan April 13-21: Tokyo, Kobe, Kyoto and 2 days Aomori. I'm NOT planning to cancel this trip ^-^. Do you know if the Shinkansen Tokyo-Aomori operates? If yes, would you advise me to do this 2-days-trip? O course I know, you're answer will be based on the situation in Japan today, March 17.

Thanks. Bye for now!
by Raffaele777 rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/17 17:20
And as you're a Japanese living in the surroundings of Tokyo and the news you have are «straight from the horse's mouth«, I'm interested to know what you think about that comment? It doesn't sound inviting.

I am not Japanese. I find the comment slightly hysteric and it makes things sound worse than they are, but I agree with the basic concern that Tokyo is not a great travel destination as of now. I personally would avoid it. But certain types of adventurous travelers who do not mind uncertainties and inconveniences during their trips, might not want to cancel.

I'm scheduled to visit Japan April 13-21: Tokyo, Kobe, Kyoto and 2 days Aomori. I'm NOT planning to cancel this trip ^-^. Do you know if the Shinkansen Tokyo-Aomori operates?

The Tohoku Shinkansen does not operate all the way between Tokyo and Aomori now, and no date has been set for resumption of service. The tracks and stations are damaged and it is likely going to take a while for everything to be fixed. It might not be in service by the time you come to Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I know it's random.. 2011/3/17 19:42
I know it's a bit random, but I just wanted to add at this point we are still going. Next week will be more of a deciding factor. The places we want to visit within Tokyo are reopening, some at full and some at reduced schedule. Most say they are still conserving energy. We still consider hitting up Kyoto for maybe half the stay as well. The highway buses seem to be running normal to going down there. Even more a shocker, some are actually running North. I'm thinking it's to help people go volunteer or find their family up there, since the roads are quite destroyed in a lot of areas.

Hang in there Japan! We believe in your strength!!
by Momel (guest) rate this post as useful

im going 2011/3/17 20:18
i am going to osaka, kobe, kyoto and hiroshima tomorrow!

I fly out saturday though.. :) so i will be at japan then.
My uncle lives in kobe and everything is fine!!!!

He wants us to come! No point cancelling.. Lol silly people..
by TaytheAussie rate this post as useful

I feel gutted 2011/3/17 21:13
I'm currently in korea and people over here don't really see why not go to osaka and kyoto.
But even still, I CANCELLED. I'm in a bit of a situation now because my korean tourist visa is about to expire (28th) and i haven gotten the refund from my airline and hotels yet to book another flight somewhere else. but still better be safe than srry and not have loved ones worring. i wrote about it more in my blog....
http://nutball.weebly.com/japan.html
by nutball13 rate this post as useful

TayAussie 2011/3/17 23:47
Hi there - I going to Osaka/Kyoto 28/3 - 1/4. A friend's relative in Osaka said the airport is extremely busy, food/water supplies are decreasing and cannot get replenished from North to South, people are down, worried about resources and cold weather. Thus not in the mood to welcome tourist???
Since u r there tomorrow - can you post me a reply on the real situation in Osaka and Kyoto please!
Thanks
by cj1981 (guest) rate this post as useful

Friend in Tokyo 2011/3/17 23:57
My friend in Tokyo said this :

"thanks! all good here. don't worry, the media is as usual blowing things way out of proportion, scaring everyone away. sheesh."

By the way 2011/3/18 00:01
By the way she said her family is safe also. She was scared at first, but a friend of hers who is an expert in nuclear stuff calmed her down with factual information. Since then she's able to handle whatever the media has been slinging. She's been going to work normally and gave blood to the red cross( also got a free hello kitty cell phone charm).

mixed news 2011/3/18 00:22
with the mixed news we've been hearing, I find it hard to know which ones to believe. This is soooo frustrating. I am due to leave on the 31st but was postponed and moved to 13/14th. Now I don't know if I should still proceed. I hope everything goes well with the nuclear issue SOONER than LATER. :)
by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

Up to one's destiny 2011/3/18 03:05
I agree with mixed news's openion, cannot belive what new is true. I plan to japan on 1-14/04 and still going. My country once had faced sunam, our people depress so much but we're still greeting tourists, Deep regret but life has to move forward. Japanesses have strong mind and know what to do now.For this situation everyone know that tourism will help their economy. It dosen't mean that they leave their pretige.
Everyone who not decide to cancell trip but hesitate to go to tokyo, why you don't reschedule to the south to Fukuoka like me. I'm sure that there are still room reserve for you all. You will see another side of japan, in nature and culture scene and you will love it,
At last, I think whatever will be, will be. Everything can happened all the time up to your destiny. Someone have cancer still alive but healthy died because of choking saliva.
(sorry, i'm not good at english)
by jirapun (guest) rate this post as useful

dilemma 2011/3/18 08:00
I'm scheduled to go at the end of May. We were planning to go Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Hiroshima-Tokyo.

I AM NOT CONCERNED about radiation - I have researched this over days and have some expertise in the field. Worst case scenario the radiation exposure OVER FEW DAYS will be equivalent to getting a body cat scan. Remember there are still 20 million people living there and they will have increased exposure for weeks or months to come. And if you are still concerned then just look at where Sanjay Gupta has been over past week. He is the CNN medical consultant neurosurgeon (holy grail of all medical fields).

My concern is with:
1. I feel uncomfortable as a gajin to barge in on the people of Japan during this ongoing catastrophy.
2. Power outages and transportation issues.
3. Paradoxically the yen actually got stronger.
4. Higher prices of food due to shortages.
5. Enjoying my time in outdoor sento with increased background radiation is not really conducive to relaxation (even if it's not a real health concern)

On the other hand:
1. Less tourist crowding
2. Hotels/ryokan may be easier to book and cheaper?
3. Helping Japanese economy???

We already booked the flight week before the earthquake. If I am able to get refund I will not travel. If not and the nuclear disaster does not get any worse, we are going for it.
by Ba-to (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 10 of 15: Posts 181 - 200 of 288
prev
1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
next

reply to this thread