Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 195 of 233: Posts 3881 - 3900 of 4652
prev
1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 233
next

Joe West 2016/1/5 05:09
Welcome fellow corpsman. I assume you were in the Navy. I was a hospital corpsman with the Army at the 106th General Hospital, Kishine Barracks, Yokohama, 1967-68. There were 275 of us Army guys so you probably ran into us at the Zebra Club, Peanut Club, Red Shoes Bar, etc. My tour in Yokohama was the most rewarding experience of my life. Wish I could do it all over again!
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/7 01:30
Wow! What a wonderful Christmas Gift. Finding this Forum back up and running with the same cast of characters, I was overjoyed! On my last visit, I came upon a message that read the Forum had been closed. I was soooo bummed, but left my version of a Haiku, anyway.
Joe West, my Dad was at the Yokohama Dispensary as a Dentist in 1967-68, Naval Commander Phill Reitz. He made Captain and they sent him to Yokosuka the next two years of our duty. Another dentist there in Yokohama, a joker, Lt. Ragsdale. Captain Steen ran the operation. I lived in Negishi Heights too. 509 Skyline Drive.
Peter, I remember Dr. Coley very well. He was a terrific doctor, a kind man, I liked him very much. As a sophomore in high school, I met him while in the waiting room of the Dispensary. I had used a sunlamp and burned my face. A nurse had just passed and was very mean to me. I silently cried. Dr. Coley was walking by and noticed. He treated me on the spot, giving me a creme. He took away my fears of scarring, and sent me on my way home. From then on, I always asked for him when I went to the Clinic. This caused "talk"! Dr Coley was the "women's" doctor there, and I was just a 16 year old high school student. Why was Louann seeing Dr Coley they all wondered? It was like a small town.
Happy New Year to Everyone! So Happy to see you all Back!
XOX
by Louann R (guest) rate this post as useful

Louann 2016/1/7 09:24
Yeah, we were all wondering that over at the 106th Army Hospital, “Why was a sixteen year old girl always asking to see Dr. Coley?”

Wally
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/7 11:30
Ortho novum ?
Nah he wouldn't sign the script himself anyway.
Oh, and had two wisdom teeth pulled there. Don't remember the dentist. Big guy, sweated a lot took three hours, I blead like crazy.
The look on the taxi drivers face was priceless. He must have thought that I had been punched out by my superior officer. Swelling took a month to come down. Nerve numbness took ten years to come back. Gotta love free health care.
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/9 08:17
Very funny, Wally and Peter!!!
Yes, I certainly had them whispering over at Kishine! And, Dr Coley put his signature on quite a few scipts for me. However, none of them were for "the" Pill!
Now, run along, you naughty boys!
by Louann R (guest) rate this post as useful

todays haiku 2016/1/19 00:59
Snow falls lightly...
through the moon...
a winters night...

Tomorrow's Haiku 2016/1/20 12:24
Snow falls lightly...
The peaceful beginning...
Of the coming storm...
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Enoshima 2016/1/20 22:48
Hello, all

The temperature of Yokohama is about 41 degrees now.
Thank you for Peter-san and Dave-san good Haiku.

This clip is Enoshima. enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu0Tp1ZqVMA
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/21 00:29
davesan nice haiku you played off mine didnt you.
i loved enoshima. especially that we could jump on a train from yokohama, and in about a half hour be sitting by the ocean on the sea wall.
question. at the eno spa there is some kind of statue that gives off a light show at sunset. its some electrical show. perhaps kaoru san can explain that to us.
loved the video, the girl is so kawaii.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/21 01:11
I'm sorry, I heard east part and another states of US are storm. Japanese west and the north area are also heavy snow. Yokohama will be also snow on this Saturday.

Peter-san

I don't know Enoshima-Spa detail, but that has popularity.

Re: Enoshima 2016/1/21 05:15
Kaoru-san;
Nice Enoshima video. I went there once in 1965. It has really changed. I need to come back to Japan.
Peter-san;
はい、かわいい女の子。

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/21 08:51
Ok Dave San
You are trying to impress us with your kanji...
OK you did I'm impressed
Ohstay safe your going to get creamed!!

Names 2016/1/21 09:53
These are name of some members. There aren't Chinese character, Katakana.

Eric : エリック
Peter : ピーター
wally : ワーリー
Dave : デイブ
Barbara : バーバラ
Lori : ローリー
Louann : ルーアン

Names written in Katakana 2016/1/21 14:43
Kaoru-san,
Thank you for showing me my name written in Katakana.
You didn't include your name; would you please show us?
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Enoshima & Katakana 2016/1/21 16:19
Thank you, Kaoru, for the video on Enoshima. Some of the scenes reminded me of similar scenes I recall from Yokohama in 1952 - 1954. The small shops, narrow lanes, and stone steps going uphill reminded me of the area around Motomachi and Yamate-cho). I watched other films that Kanadajin (the Canadian girl) has posted on YouTube -- very interesting.

What fun to see our names written in Katakana! What does Katakana mean? Are you saying that our names are written in some form of Japanese?
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

names in japanese 2016/1/21 23:59
one day our japanese secetary " translated" our names into japanese. my name, Saunders, came out as 3 dozen [san-3 doz-dozen]. which i really liked. others were not so fortunate, such as my friend john Boyle -festering sore.
As for our Wally Cox...hmmm..lets not go there.
ialso watched the videos of the canadian girl. hi -teck toilets..feel better knowing how they work. when will western bathroom designers learn to put the toilet in its own alcove or closet.

Katakana 2016/1/22 05:11
Kaoru is カオル, This is unisex name.
Chinese character is ”薫”, it is difficult, when I was kid, I didn't write this name. It means good fragrance.

Peter-san's name is ”サンダース”. We usually write the name of the foreigner in Katakana.

The explanation of Katakana is little difficult, please see Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana

names 2016/1/23 00:32
it was so cool to see my name written in kana again. i had forgotton how it looked. i struggled with learning it but couldnt do it. my apartment door had a small window where your name went. i wrote my name in english and japanese..or what i thought was correct. shortly i heard some children laughing and went to see what was so funny. they were pointing to my bad attempt and ran away. so i had my unit translator do it for me. i asked her what my own sign said and she chuckled but was too shy to tell me.
living in a country where you cant write your own name...sobering.
most frustrating was street signs shop signs and historical markers. how much more could i have learned. maybe now there is an app or google glasses program for that.

Katakana and Names 2016/1/23 12:26
Kaoru-san; Thank you for our names and the Katakana explanation.

Peter-san; I do not have not have a great knowledge of Japanese writing but I have learned how to translate the written word to some extent through the magic of the internet. Your description of the girl in the video brought back a very good bar word that I had not heard in years, kawaii, cute. I thought you deserved an answer in Japanese. Anything that I write in just about any language can be roughly translated by copying and pasting at the following site: http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.h...

Snow falls lightly...
A beautiful sight...
So far...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/28 11:51
Dear Kaoru-san,
Thank you for showing me how to write my name in Katakana. I have been practicing writing it.
You were very kind to share this with me.
Sincerely,
Louann
by Louann R. (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 195 of 233: Posts 3881 - 3900 of 4652
prev
1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 233
next

reply to this thread