Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 41
prev
1 2 3
next

Re: milk availability 2014/4/1 09:55
Thank you Uma, you seem to understand. I've travelled to so many countries where the simple exercise of having my morning coffee *before* having to dress and leave my room has been denied me. I don't care if it's instant and UHT milk, at least I know what's in it, and how it helps me start my day, mentally and medically!!!!

by JMCWS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/1 23:01
"It won't be in my carry on luggage!"

Ok, guess I misunderstood this of yours in another post, "It's very little weight for me to carry any opened contents in a very small collapsable chill bag (esky) which fits inside my cabin luggage,"

I took cabin luggage to mean carry-on.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/1 23:21
Really, it's so much easier to pack a cool bag with ice, and to transport (unusual tasting) UHT milk on a 12 hr flight so that you can drink it at your destination with (unusual tasting) instant coffee than any other possible solution.

Why don't you people understand!!!??? ;0)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/2 01:11
So the guy wants to bring his own milk! Why is this topic still be discussed?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/2 04:34
Hi Daai,

My cabin bag will transport an opened carton, on two occasions, while I'm travelling within Japan. Once I hit the ground, all my travelling is by train. Sorry to confuse you. Unopened ones will continue to be lugged around in the suitcase.

Re: milk availability 2014/4/3 14:30
really weird thread

UHT milk is available virtually everywhere in japan, even in the farthest flung countryside village.

in fact almost all milk in japan is UHT

lugging around UHT milk in your suitcase in a country where milk is available within 30seconds walk of EVERYWHERE is bizarre and inconvenient
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/3 15:10
Well it started off with this weird misconception:

but what of western tastes ~ uncatered for?

The bizarre idea that coffee-drinking is a "western taste" might surprise a lot of people in the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, and indeed Japan.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/6 23:55
Any fresh food product will most likely be confiscated from your luggage at customs, or else you'll have to lie on the customs form. Animal products are restricted:
http://www.customs.go.jp/kaisei/youshiki/form_C/C5360-Br.pdf
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/7 05:56
I didn't lie, it hasn't been confiscated, it's not an animal product in the sense of the word used by biosecurity controls (and I come from a country with the tightest restrictions imaginable) as it's been processed. Even if I'd thought to declare it, it would not have been an issuec but it doesn't fall into the category.

AND yes, I am enjoying my morning coffees, and anything I've bought elsewhere during the day, so far, has been revolting, so I'm glad I haven't relied on finding "a double~shot flat white tulip cup" anywhere to kick start my day!

Re: milk availability 2014/4/7 11:45
Well since there are Starbucks practically everywhere, I guess that means you prefer your instant coffee in your room to a latte from Starbucks. That's good to know.

Re: milk availability 2014/4/7 12:09
Seriously? You think Starbucks is an option? LOL

Re: milk availability 2014/4/7 16:17
starbuck ‚ coffee, I agree with that.

really dude, nobody is questioning your coffee habits, it's just the bringing your own milk part ;)
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/7 21:15
Thanks, but it seems several have decided that my options of travelling with a freeze dried Columbian super riche coffee (aka instant, at full strength ) is persona non grata...

I am not going to regret the milk option! I arrive exhausted at my hotels each night, and the last thing I want to worry about is my morning coffee, because I've taken care of any problems! I'm in Osaka tonight... After a 5.00am start! In Hiroshima ! I'm enjoying Chardonnay at a fusion Japanese restaurant, but bugger me.... I've not seen milk in the vicinity, and I sure in hell wouldn't want to be going looking for it!!!

Re: milk availability 2014/4/8 20:49
You will definitely learn to love the convenience stores, I am in Melbourne Australia, and our so called convenience stores are nothing but over priced mini supermarkets, whereas in Japan they are brilliant, fresh food and awesome prices!!!
by Coley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/9 00:01
I often prefer to stay at home, where I have access to all sorts of comfortable things, as well as my well-nuzzled blankie.

No combini can match that.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/9 10:51
Seriously? You think Starbucks is an option?

So you're convinced that your instant coffee is far better than a freshly made latte at Starbucks. Duly noted.

Re: milk availability 2014/4/9 23:02
Just let the guy bring his damn milk! No point continuing this any further!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/11 17:37
I'm also a New Zealander who travels regularly to Japan, after having lived there. I DO NOT take my own milk, but I do like to start my day with a coffee (not instant!) I take a plunger and buy fresh ground coffee.

I use the small sachets of coffee creamer which are available in packs of about 12, or I pick some up in either Excelsior Coffee shops or Starbucks, or sometimes I use the individual stick whiteners with the name Creap. (I like these because they do not cool the coffee like refrigerated milk does.) These are available in either a larger loose pack or as I say individual servings. Quite a few of the hotels I've stayed at had individual stick coffee, inclusive with sugar, instant coffee and whitener, but as others say, it is not always available. Never have I had those largish UHT tubs that are commonplace in NZ/AUST hotels and motels. Supermarkets in Japan have a very wide range of milks in various sizes.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/12 04:21
I know what you mean. When I was in Japan it took me near on 2 hours to locate the nearest convenience store to my hotels. Then would you believe to my horror that the milk I poured into my coffee was some weird milk that must only exist in Japan!

Sarcasm aside all the hotels I stayed at had at least 2 maybe 3 different convenience stores within a minutes walk so you wouldn't have a problem like you seemed to have in China. All the hotel rooms also provide a small fridge so its not like you'll have to go out every morning to buy milk.

I know your question was about milk in hotels. However your remarks comparing Japan to China and also the ''I don't know what you all drink first thing in the morning''. Were in my opinion very idiotic and ridiculous.

You asked a question and people tried being helpful with giving you alternatives which you just threw back in their faces.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: milk availability 2014/4/12 12:58
hmm I'm very particular about my sugar. it needs to be white in a long, thin paper satchel to ensure it maintains its freshness.

does japan have these? or do you think I should just bring my own sugar?
by Japanyaki rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 41
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread