Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 5: Posts 21 - 40 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

hair... 2006/9/23 21:51
I saw a hair salon in Harajuku the other day that seemed to do pretty interesting stuff. I walked by and I saw a guy in a Fro, I couldn't believe it so I went back in and they showed me images of all the things they do ( braids, weaves, locks, extensions, relaxers and other things the Japanese who are interested in having fro's and other 'black' hairstyles)..
by ...@#! rate this post as useful

Heh... 2006/9/26 11:34
There's a nice idea –word of mouth or just plain browsing. It is especially good for the natural girls if you find someone with the hair type you want (as in they have braids, twists, etc.). Hopefully, you can get them to tell you the place theirs was done. (Who knows? You might make a new J-friend.)
It shouldnft be too impossible as long as there are enough Japanese into the hip-hop scene to braid their hair or get dreads and fros.

Still, I have to admit, just knowing where you are going ahead of time is nice. In that case you better save up some yen to get all the way to Room 806 or 4/U if you arenft in Tokyoc (BTWcin case anyone didnft know, their site is - http://www.room806.com/ )

But that salon stuff might start impacting your salary, especially if you want to keep it looking really nice. Even if you are going straight natural (more power to ya) For oils, pomades and the like, I suggest bringing it with you or having it sent.

For those who rock their hair straightc

If all else fails maybe you can grab an outlet adapter and bring a quality ceramic flat iron to straighten your hair out.
If youfre using a flat iron that is 110V (like most US electronics), make sure it can heat well without being on the highest setting. Then with a simple adapter, it should be able to work. Nevertheless, it just won't heat as hot as you are used to in the states unless you buy a transformer. Of course if you didnft need it on the highest setting in the first place it won't be a problem. Just use a higher setting.

Now for higher voltages like a lot of European stuffs, then there might be some problems. Seeing how Ifm neither an electrician nor European, Ifm not sure how to explain this aside from saying that youfll need a transformer (which is different from an adapter in price and purpose).
For more info about the voltage and stuff, thatfs what the rest of the question board is for. (Try searches for gvoltageh and ghair straightnersh)

--Or try to scrounge one up while in Japan?--

Alternatively, you can try to bring perms and stuffs from home or get friends/family to ship it for you in a care package. Then maybe you can get someone to do the perm for you.

(All of this is info that Ifve stockpiled in my mind after a couple of years of gOMG! Japan and my hair!? What do I do?h
So these are options I have from my perspective since I wonft know Japanese significantly or be in a military base when I get to Japan.
Those who know enough Japanese to get around with some ease might have even more options. And if youfre in a base, you might find someone who can hook you up in there.)
by shinkiaka rate this post as useful

African Hair Braiding 2007/3/18 13:37
We are moving to Okinawa, Japan next week from San Antonio, Texas. I am concerned that we will not be able to find anyone who has experience with african american hair. My daughter and I currently have micro braids, and I am really concerned because I am really picky and like my hair very tight and neat. Can anyone refer us to any place or have any information on where we can start to look. We will be stationed on Camp Foster. Thanks!!
by Geisha rate this post as useful

oki 2007/4/8 23:24
camp foster..yall must b marine lol i lived on kadena A.B dont worry you can get ur hair did at ..i forgot the name but this place next to the Forster BX and alot of other places on base there are lots of african americas already there
have fun at the beach
by shanise rate this post as useful

Getting a Relaxer 2007/5/17 16:31
Do any of these shops do relaxers? I'm not going natural anytime soon for fear of having to cut my hair. But I would really like to know. If not I will have to do it myself. Do any of the shops or whatever sale Isoplus products? Dudely? It would most likely be cheaper if I did it all myself wouldn't it? Well if anyone knows something lemme know, k.
by Leta Marie rate this post as useful

Checked Room806 2007/5/17 16:39
looked at their product section I noticed that they didn't have my stuff, but that's cool. I'm somewhat at ease now. I'm ready for Japan ^^
by Leta Marie rate this post as useful

THANK YOU 2007/6/5 12:07
you don't know how happy I am to have found a place that uses my relaxer! I was worried about my hair. I'm glad ther're places within a reasonable distance. thanks
by Ally rate this post as useful

Hiroshima 2007/6/5 13:07
Does anybody know of an african hair salon in the hiroshima area that specializes in extentions?
I was planning to get extentions done for the first time before going overseas, but because of the length of time I will be there, I will have to have them redone. Since I never had extentions I'm not too familiar with the process... So I definately need to find out the location of a stylists -before- I travel.
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

Need help 2007/6/22 16:18
I really need to find a salon in Hiroshima and quick. I have a month before i travel. Can anyone answer my previous post? :)
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

best hair salon in kyoto! 2007/7/9 14:22
just to let you know, if you have a chance to visit "Be Fine" Salon in Kyoto- it will be worth your time! on a whim, i decided to get about 7 inches of my hair cut off. i took my mom with me cause she had to translate for me. my hairstylist name is Akira Inazumi.... he did an awesome job. this was 4 months ago and i need to get it cut.... but i actually want to go from california back to kyoto just to have him work on my hair!!!! he did such a greaat cut.... it's actually growing out very stylish and i get compliments on it (even 4 months later!!) the employees at Be Fine were wonderfully fun and accomodating... my mom couldn't resist and ended up getting her hair cut as well!!!!
by lisa Kajikawa rate this post as useful

Where is "Be Fine" in Kyoto 2008/2/17 11:34
I live in Kyoto an I need a haircut soon, where is this salon located?
by Leila rate this post as useful

what a relief 2008/2/22 07:06
I'm so glad that you made this post. This was one of my biggest concerns about living in Japan. I added the room806 salon to my favorites. Hopefully they will still be in business by the time I move to Japan,
by Tammy chan rate this post as useful

trouble with website 2008/2/24 00:52
Hi, I'm having trouble opening the Room 806 website. I'm currently living in Japan and I have micros and they need to be done asap. I knew that I could go to Room806 before deciding to move to Japan and now I can't access the site. Does anyone have a phone number or their address so that I can make an appt or something? I've viewed the website maybe sometime last summer, but now, nothing. If you have any other suggestions please share! I live about 10 mins from Yokohama station and 35ish from Tokyo.
by Kristin rate this post as useful

room806 2008/2/24 05:59
I can't access the room806 website either. I can get to the home page but when I click enter it tells I get a strange message.
by Tammy chan rate this post as useful

Glad I kept this! 2008/2/24 10:06
I still have a card that my hairdresser gave me. She doesn`t work at Room806; she works at their sister company 4/You. It`s located in a hotel in Hiroo which is next to Roppogi (You take the Hibuya subway to get there).

Here`s the number: 03-3440-2577

If this number doesn`t work, then Google: The New Sanno Hotel. The salon is located in this hotel and they should have some more info. I believe the hotel is mostly used by the military so if you choose the salon, you have to make an appointment (they don`t do walk-ins I don`t think) and you must have some kind of picture ID.
by Banna rate this post as useful

Thanks!! 2008/2/24 21:56
Thanks so much Tammy-chan! Do you know if it's possible to walk in and make an appt? I want to see what they have to offer and the prices before making an appt. A friend told me about a place she went to in Roppongi for micros, but they slid out. Something about them not doing them correctly. I've had micros slide out before, but only like a max of 5 or so over time and not immediately after getting them done. I don't want this to happen!

oops! 2008/2/24 21:58
Sorry, I meant Banna not Tammy-chan, haha but thanks!!

The Sanno Hotel 2008/2/25 14:09
I think you can call the salon in advance and ask about checking it out before making an appointment. I say this because they`re pretty strict at the hotel. They usually won`t let you pass unless you`re staying at the hotel or have an appointment at the salon (They have a list of people going for appointments at the entrance). They have to call someone from the salon to get you. For my very first time at the salon, I was able to get a walk in (but that was back in 2004). The salon can get pretty busy at times, so when you choose to go I strongly suggest a weekday in the morning. Even if you go to the salon without an appointment, I`m sure someone will come down to get you anyway.

I got my hair braided and later twisted. I made my appointments weeks in advance (mostly because my hair didn`t need to be done so much).

oooh 2008/2/25 23:33
thanks again Banna! I went out to find Room 806 today. no luck at all! I was with some friends and we asked for directions to the address that I found online multiple times. Everyone kept telling us the same place, but there was nothing there. Have they moved at all? I guess I will check out the place at the hotel after all.

Room 806 2008/2/26 23:31
Yeah I had a hard time finding Room 806 when I went to look for it. LOL that's why I went to 4/U! From the Hibiya train station, it's as difficult to find.

Sometimes coming out of the train station can be confusing to this was my method: The bank and the bread shop. I don't remember what the name of the bank is (It's like Tokyo Mitsubushi, blah blah blah) but the sides are red and white. You would see the bread shop first, then tha bank. When you come out the station, the bank and bread shop should be IN FRONT of you. If it's behind you, you're going the wrong way. You should also see a Citibank, a small shopping plaza (which a kid's clothing store) as you wak down the street. At the end of the block is a walkway. When you get to the end of the block go left and after a few minutes, you'll see the hotel (it's on the right side of the street). Like I said there are guards at the entrance so just make sure you have some kind of picture ID.

Page 2 of 5: Posts 21 - 40 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread