Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 46
prev
1 2 3
next

i'm so speacial 2008/7/25 11:38
in my country trinidad and tobago kai can be used by a male or female.i am of african descent and female.
by kai mundy rate this post as useful

Kai 2008/8/12 10:29
Kai is a traditional Hawaiian girls name. It means Ocean there.
by Amie rate this post as useful

Meaning of "Kai" 2008/8/26 12:20
My son's name is also Kai, this is what I know of the meaning...The boy's and girl's name Kai kai is pronounced kye. It is of Welsh, Scandinavian and Greek origin, and its meaning is ''keeper of the keys; earth''. It is also Hawaiin meaning ''sea''
by Ed rate this post as useful

Please help! 2008/8/28 09:38
A little seven year old boy in my new class doesn't like his name, "Kai!" How can I help him understand all these meanings and how he might learn to love his name?
by Julie rate this post as useful

Kai 2008/8/30 10:36
It could belong to a series of verbs that end with 'i' but used when attached to endings. Such as okii becomes okiimasen - not big. Also, sometimes, as Japanese interpretation is not how the writing was originally written and in some cases, can be written how it sounds to foreign ears unless read directly from Hiragana. It looks like the word for 'buy' 'kau' I think or goldfish 'koi'.
by Beetroot rate this post as useful

Kai 2008/8/30 11:06
Just remembered, kai is a counting word. Used in conjunction with items such as buying. Changed to become a verb to 'kau'.
by Rubarb rate this post as useful

kai 2008/12/3 07:41
my brothers name is kai.....and we're from hawaii and it means Ocean. But in all the manga I have read, all demon type characters are named Kai. My brother is pure evil, so I think its ironic, and wondering if theres any connection? O.O
by dark angel rate this post as useful

??? 2008/12/3 21:51
Rubarb and Beetroot, I'm not sure where you are learning Japanese, but you have the grammar rules quite mixed up. "Not big" is "ookikunai", not "okiimasen".

The counter for times or floors, kai. has no relation whatsoever to any verb with the pronunciation "kau", or any of the kanji used in the name "Kai", which was well explained on the first page anyway...
by Sira rate this post as useful

How many Kai's are there? 2009/2/7 08:20
i thought my name was pretty unique until i moved to santa cruz, california and met about 9 other Kai's both male and female. I was born on the Big Island Of Hawaii and there it means the "sea". It japanese it means the "sea" as well. It is of Greek and Welsh origin and the name means the keeper of the keys of knowledge and time. I wonder what it meant in Lemurian?
by Kai (guest) rate this post as useful

kai 2009/2/25 06:00
kai also means butiful in south african,the power of the sea/ocean in hawian and there are quite a few ways of spelling it: kaye,kai,kye,kie,cai.I am glad my mum called me kai because the different meanings are cool!!!!
by kai (age 11) (guest) rate this post as useful

Take your pick. 2009/2/25 06:57
かい (kai) (masc) - (prt) marks yes-no question
下位
( かい) (kai) (adj-no) (n) - low rank
- low-end
- lower order (e.g., byte)
- subordinate
下位
( かい) (kai) - low-end (a-no)
- low-order
下位
( かい) (kai) - subordinate
下意
( かい) (kai) (n) - the feelings of the people

( かい) (kai) (n) (vs) - being in between
- concerning oneself with
- mediation
- shell
- shellfish

( かい) (kai) (n) (n-suf) (vs) - assembly
- association
- club
- meeting
- party

( かい) (kai) (n) - counter for occurrences

( かい) (kai) - solution (of an equation)

( かい) (kai) (n) - solution (of equation)
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Disregard my last post 2009/2/25 07:09
Try these given names, which seem most appropriate:

傀 - large

壊 - demolition, break, destroy (my guess, it's this one.)

魁 - charging ahead of others
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Kai - A multitude of meanings 2009/9/22 01:26
My daugther was named Kai after a Hawaiin Sea Goddess, it is a beautiful dual sex name and I have learned it's meaning in so many different languages since she was born ten years ago, the most popular is, which has been said before, ocean or sea. but in some other languages it means food (mauri) shellfish (Scandinavia) Keeper of the Keys (Welsh) Cow (Scottish, which she is) Beautiful (South Africa), Victory (common Mandarin), Strong (Burma), Willow Tree (Navajo), Safe Harbour (Germanic), Love (Nigeria) and many more, please have a look at the Wikipedia site, it will tell you a lot more - but take your pick, my daughter is called Kai (Sea) Ote (happiness) and it turns out to sound like coyote which she thinks is cool!
by Lindsey (guest) rate this post as useful

food 2009/9/22 22:51
Kai means "food" in NZ Maori and other south Pacific languages.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

what does kai mean 2009/9/23 01:39
海=1.うみ(umi)、
2.カイ(kai)

海洋(かいよう,kaiyo-)= the ocean, the sea
海(うみ,umi)= the sea

*Last July, there was the sushi restaurant named KAI at Rits Carlton Resort, Maui Hawaii; run by Japanese directly from Japan. Kai means the ocean in Hawaiian as well.
by BOBO (guest) rate this post as useful

Meaning in my case. 2009/11/17 11:05
My name is Kyle, however my nickname is Kai or Kaiiru in Japanese. According to the way it is written, Kai in my case means spirit or a lesser god.

hi 2009/11/18 11:18
hey my name is Kai and i am 11. I think its a really cool name and i am proud to have it. My mom gave me the name thinking it was the sea.
by kai (guest) rate this post as useful

Meaning of "Kai" 2009/11/29 05:20
When I was pregnant, I didn't know the gender and sought a name that would work for both. I came across "Kai" with a W. African meaning "lovable" and I liked the fact that it started with the letter "K' like my name.

I have since found out that in Thai it means "chicken", In Senegal it means "friend" and in Hawaii it refers to the sea. By the way, that baby turned out to be a girl and she is 13 and very much fits her name.
by Karen (guest) rate this post as useful

Kai from Finland 2010/1/17 19:32
My name is also Kai. In Finland, where I come from, it's only a boy's name. Actually, in Finnish KAI means ''maybe'' but that is just a coincidence... In Estonian language Kai is only a girl's name and means ''pier'', ''quay'' or ''dock''.

It's funny how international the name is! I suppose it has something to do with the simplicity and harmony of the sounds... Proud to be Kai!

Retro - Karate Kid 2010/1/20 23:51
What does Kai mean as in Cobra Kai?
by Shimada Jiei rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 46
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread