Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 24 of 24
prev
1 2

ginzan onsen 2009/2/3 16:32
Hi William,

Hmm, the Ginzan ryokan looks sufficient, especially when you factor in the location. Ginzan in the winter is a dream, I continue to envy you.

We do splurge occasionally, it was easier when the yen exchange rate was decent. We've stayed at a "hanare" in Koya-san. It cost a lot, but was worth the experience.

By the way, I saw your Ueno post, regarding Sutton Place Hotel. Thanks! It looks great, and I will try and book it for June. I love Ueno, we usually stay at the Toyoko Inn in Asakusa, but will opt for the Sutton. I hope I can get it.

Regarding Hanamaki and Miyako. Find the book "Japan by Rail". In the Tohoku section it lists a side trip from Hanamaki to Tono, to Kaimishi to Miyako to Morioka. According to the author, "if you are looking for the old Japan", this is the place to go. We will do it over 2 days, hoping to stop in Miyako. Miyako is the city nearest Jodogahama Beach. It's a big city, but I can't find anything but this major resort that is too expensive for four of us. Hanamaki is supposed to be another onsen town, but I can't find much info. The problem is, the websites are all in Japanese, or they only list Japan phone numbers.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for all your suggestions,
ph

by papayahead rate this post as useful

Sutton Place Hotel 2009/2/3 23:59
Hi papayahead

Thank you for your input.

Sutton Place Hotel in Ueno Tokyo is OK. It's not as cheap as Toyoko Inn but I like its location, quiet yet extremely convenient, just a couple of minute from Ueno JR station's Iriya exit. And it's not far from the cheapest Narita connection, the Keisei Ltd. Express.

But do note that the place is small. Though typical with other budget places in Tokyo, it's the first I've seen with the washing basin right behind the door in a hotel room. The hotel lobby is also small. It can hardly be called a lobby, it's the place for breakfast as well as the place for using the internet too. You can't use the internet until after breakfast time. BTW, if you find it too crowded during breakfast, you can take yours up to your own room. It doesn't mean the place is no good, just a note to indicate the place is really small, or maybe compact should be a better description!

Enjoy your stay.

by William5 rate this post as useful

thanks, again 2009/2/4 12:56
Aloha William,

Thanks for the details regarding Sutton Place. I will have to consider the higher price, and decide if it is worthwhile. Yes, we use the Keisei, and will ride it back to the airport. That's one reason I like the Sutton location, not to mention it'd be something different. Plus, we love Ueno. Between the food and shopping, a trip to Japan is not the same without a few days in Ueno! My son's favorite kaiten sushi restaurant is in Ueno.

Please post your trip's report via this thread. I don't always check the forum.

Enjoy,
ph

by papayahead rate this post as useful

Sorry 2009/2/4 23:22
Hi papayahead

Thank you for your growing interest, but sorry, I don't think I'll have time to post a trip report when I come back. Most of the time when I response to a post, it takes me quite a while. I have to dig through my dis-orginaised collection of references and it may take up to a couple of hrs., let alone a lengthy trip report.

But one thing is for sure. Because of my fondness for Japan, I'm more than happy to share what ever information I have on this lovely part of the world. From my itinerary outline, if there's anything you need to clarify, just let me know and I'll fill you in with more details. After tomorrow I may not have access to a computer while I'm on the road. I've book-marked this thread, or you can leave me a message on my e-mail on the TA forum. Feel free to drop me a line.

Thank you again and see you after Feb. 22.

William
by William5 rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 24 of 24
prev
1 2

reply to this thread