Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 20: Posts 21 - 40 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

not looking good 2011/3/16 21:13
Are you still planning on going: Undecided (everyday news SEEMS to be getting worse)

Original travel dates: 4/6 to 4/23 (from Boston, ma USA)

Have you had to reschedule & to when: not yet

What areas: Tokyo (originally may change to osaka), Takayama, Kyoto, Mt Koya, Hiroshima/Miyajima

Concerns you have/had: Fukushima! & burdening a recovering city, being an insensitive tourist

Benefits of still going: Supporting tourism to uneffected areas, Trip of a lifetime

Other key decision factors: Many factors, Lots of pressure to cancel from friends and family

If you're undecided, when will you decide: April 1st (current US travel advisory is until 4/1)

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: ongoing updates on forums

by Gregxp rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/16 21:25
Are you still planning on going: Yes
Original travel dates:
March 31 - April 9

Have you had to reschedule & to when:
N/A

What areas:
Tokyo(Within Central Area), Kyoto and Nara

Concerns you have/had:
Train Schedules

Benefits of still going:
Tourism is good for the economy
Cherry Blossoms

Other key decision factors:
Little Sister's Birthday, going is her present. Also the information I get from here since the media in the US is of no help.

If you're undecided, when will you decide:
N/A

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:
Anywhere I can get some wifi I will update here.
by Serkits rate this post as useful

canceled 2011/3/16 21:25
Are you still planning on going: no
Original travel dates: 01.04-14.04
Have you had to reschedule & to when: still thinking
What areas: Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima
Concerns you have/had: problems with transport, electricity, radiation, food.
Benefits of still going: n/a
First of all - it is very unpredictable situation in Tokyo: nobody knows when situation will be stable a little: trains and metro are in schedule time, food in stores, entertaiment areas working as usual, electricity, and so on. And I don't see any positive shift in situation by now.
Also - very unpredictable situation with Fukushima 1/2 power plants: Fukushima 1 looks like completely out of controll and partily destroyed ( http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/03/16/1226022/657762-japan-r... ), news from Fukushima 2 power plant are differ day by day. And, I don't understand why japanese autorities refused help from russian nuclear power plant scientists/engeners because only russians have an expirience to deal with such kind of problems on nuclear power plant (Chernobyl).
According to this I don't think, that TEPCO or other companies can find 8gW of electric power to satisfy all power consumers.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: when will be any movements to stable situation till end of april.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: n/a

ps. sorry for my bad english.
by bubububu (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes! 2011/3/16 21:40
Are you still planning on going: Yes!
Original travel dates: 4th April -14th April
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Nope.
What areas: Tokyo, possibly Osaka/Kyoto
Concerns you have/had: None. I don't scare easily.
Benefits of still going: Japan is beautiful. That is all.
Other key decision factors: Everything Japan has to offer.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: N/A
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: May keep a blog for the duration of my time there.
by JB (guest) rate this post as useful

Im going 2011/3/17 01:16
Are you still planning on going: Yes!
Original travel dates: 4th April -14th April
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Nope.
What areas: Osaka, Kyoto then after where ever i would like.
Concerns you have/had: My only concern is my airline just saying, oh its been cancelled. That would be a kick in the teeth.
Benefits of still going: To live a child hood dream.
Other key decision factors: Adventure
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Well im 100% going.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Sure why not.
by Aidy Johnson (guest) rate this post as useful

Still going 2011/3/17 01:33
Are you still planning on going:
Yes

Original travel dates:
April 2-23

Not yet

What areas:
Kobe, Miyajima, Hiroshima, Osaka, Mt. Koya, Kyoto, Inuyama, Takayama, Nara, Nagoya, Kiso Valley, Tokyo

Concerns you have/had:
Only worried if the flight gets canceled for some reason.

Benefits of still going:
Been planning for almost 2 years, and can't see any reason not to go at this time.

Depending on situation in Tokyo, may reroute plans back to Kyoto or Osaka, but doubt that will be necessary, especially since I won't be there until the very end of my trip.

N/A.

When I have a connection, probably here in the forums or else a personal blog.
by frippscratch rate this post as useful

Undecided 2011/3/17 01:49
Are you still planning on going:
Undecided.. will decide by March 30

Original travel dates:
April 12-26 (from Chicago to Narita)

No, airlines will not issue waivers to folks traveling beyond March 31st.

What areas:
Starting with 1 week in Tokyo, then Nagoya/Nara/Osaka area, then back in Tokyo for 3 days.

Concerns you have/had:
Situation w/ nuclear reactors and aftershocks (never been in a earthquake scenario). I've been getting updates from friends who live in Shibuya saying that the touristy areas are relatively unaffected by the black-outs. The downside is the delays in trains, shop/store hours closing 1-2 hrs earlier and lights dim at night. Not quite Tokyo, but definitely not shut down either.

Benefits of still going:
Been saving/planning for 2 years, and can't cancel w/o losing a considerable amount of money. Not to mention I cannot reschedule for a later date in the next 2 years due to employment change and moving. ;_;

Unless the US travel bulletin advises against travel beyond April 1st, I may just play it safe and bite the bullet and get a JR Rail Pass and leave Tokyo after my 1st night of arrival-- spending the entire 2 weeks in Osaka/Nara/Nagoya area instead.

end of March.

I don't have any social media page like FB, so I guess I can always come back here and make a thread ^_^
by Mai (guest) rate this post as useful

still undecided - 3/30-4/13 2011/3/17 01:49
Are you still planning on going: Undecided

Original travel dates: 3/30 to 4/13 (from New York City)

Have you had to reschedule & to when: not yet

What areas: planning to take shinkansen directly to Kyoto asap after landing at NRT, four days in Kyoto, then a week in Kyushu, then back to Tokyo for 2 nights

Concerns you have/had: problem with transport, want to see the nuclear plant issue stabilized somewhat, not that much Japanese to understand emergency instructions and I'm traveling alone

Benefits of still going: my 6th solo trip to Japan which I've been researching for months, supposed to meet two people I know in Kyoto area, new area (Kyushu)to explore, helping local tourism

Other key decision factors: although my airline allows a ticket change up through May 10 the cheap seat I need probably won't be available the days I want to go - so basically I will need to wait til next year.

If you're undecided, when will you decide: In about a week as I have a lot of things to do to prepare for trip.

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: if I go I will try to update if I have internet access...
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Canceled :( 2011/3/17 05:22
Are you still planning on going: No
Original travel dates: March 29-April 11
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Next year...
What areas: Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima & possibly Nagano.
Concerns you have/had: Concerns family & friends have for safety. In addition to transportation issues and uncertainty of aftershocks/quads and reactor status/radiation potential
Benefits of still going: cherry blossom season and my dream trip with years of planning finally coming to reality with 2 great travel partners
Other key decision factors: Many restaurants & attractions with be closed in Hakone/Tokyo area & want to enjoy my trip to the fullest as originally planned without compromise
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Done
by lostdecoy rate this post as useful

? 2011/3/17 06:08
Are you still planning on going: as of now yeah

Original travel dates: 5th april to 22d

Have you had to reschedule & to when:not yet, no (i got one free reschedule so im gonna wait a week and see)

What areas:tokyo 3 days (by narita), train to kyoto and last 2 days at tokyo before going home by narita airport

Concerns you have/had:electricity, trains, my airline is not flying to narita for now, lack of stuff to do in tokyo and less food there, possibility of a big earth quake in toyko and if radiation gets way worse, we're not gonna have net or cellphone with us, not sure how easy it is to get net café now and so on to keep updated (i know in kyoto we wont have tv)

Benefits of still going:help tourism with money, we really wanna go, most of our trip is in western japan

Other key decision factors: insurence is no longer valid if we choose to go to japan, if my partner refuse to go

If you're undecided, when will you decide:ill look on monday how all looks then

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: ill update here if i decide to go or not but when im there i will most likely not have any chance of updating anything

by kitty (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks guys 2011/3/17 21:50
Thank you guys for updating on this. :) It will make my decision easier!
by OhhSoAlyse rate this post as useful

Cancelled :( 2011/3/18 00:38

Original travel dates: May 25th - June 3rd

Have you had to reschedule & to when: Hopefully next year....

What areas: Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara.

Concerns you have/had: The Radiation Threat which could also lead to a long-term effect. Food scarcity.

Benefits of still going: realising my dream vacation to Japan after planning for 2 years. Supposed to go last year Oct but ended up cancelled due to leave not approved. Currently unemployed and wanted to realise my Japan dream before seeking out new employment.

Other key decision factors: Friend & Family are worried so have to give up on this trip. =(
by Cyn-sg (guest) rate this post as useful

Going but reschedule! 2011/3/18 00:42
Are you still planning on going: Yes. With a heavy heart, with all the latest not-so-good news and confusions, I've decided I'm not destined to go for hanami viewings so I'll be rescheduling. T_T

Original travel dates: April 1st to 8th

Have you had to reschedule & to when: May, after Golden Week

What areas: Will be staying with friend in Saitama, so exploring her hometown, Nikko & Tokyo~

Concerns you have/had: Rolling blackouts, affected train schedules, radiation stuff (though my parents are more freaked out than me, so I've rescheduled partly for their peace of mind sigh...) & for my friend's problem would be gasoline (she's driving me around certain areas so I don't want burden her now since she's told me it's hard to find for now.)

Benefits of still going: Hopefully by May, things gotta be better!! And first time to be going alone free&easy to meet my friends there~

Other key decision factors:-

If you're undecided, when will you decide:-

Where will you be updating us of your time: Either here or twitter if I can! :)
by amiriaa rate this post as useful

Very pressure but still go 2011/3/18 01:28
Are you still planning on going:yes
Original travel dates:01/04-14/04
Have you had to reschedule & to when:No
What areas:Fuguoka,Osaka
Concerns you have/had:my family
Benefits of still going:relax from work and help japan economy.
Other key decision factors:pressure from family
If you're undecided, when will you decide:until cannot hold flight ticket
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: ASAP

by jirapun (guest) rate this post as useful

80% sure 2011/3/18 01:34
Are you still planning on going: 80% sure

Original travel dates: March 25-April 7

Have you had to reschedule & to when: Will reschedule our flight home to fly out of KIX (kansai) rather than NRA (narita)

What areas: TOriginally planned for Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima/Miyajima, and Tokyo

Will change to stay south - Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima/Miyajima, and potentially Beppu to go to Sanrio Harmonyland

Concerns you have/had: Radiation.

Benefits of still going: Cherry blossom season. If I don't go, I'll have to wait another year and don't know that I'll be able to go during this time next year. Missing out on Tokyo but feel that a trip there will be more feasible in the future.

Other key decision factors: Hearing that it's business as usual in the Kansai region. If I didn't read that among the people actually living there and only watched American TV I probably would have cancelled.
by mb (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes for now 2011/3/18 02:25
Are you still planning on going: Yes

Original travel dates: April 30- May 28

Have you had to reschedule & to when: not now

What areas: Hiroshima-Miyajima-Osaka-Kyoto-Mount
Koya-Kanazawa-Tokyo and everywhere life will transport me

Concerns you have/had: winds and radiations, Flights cancellation, Yen value, Pressure from friends and family

Benefits of still going: Life experience, dreaming and planning for a long time,
by Trustnoone (guest) rate this post as useful

i will try update 2011/3/18 03:16
i am going on saturday so i will try update how i am going then. Im going to Kobe Osaka Hiroshima ad Kyoto incase you were wondering!
Look out for my post...
by TaytheAussie rate this post as useful

Still going! 2011/3/18 06:21
Are you still planning on going:YES
Original travel dates: March 28-April 1st to Okinawa, then April 1st to Tokyo
Have you had to reschedule & to when:I am pretty sure I will have to reschedule going to Tokyo until about May or so as my employers have advised me to delay my trip.
What areas:Tokyo/Saitama area where I was set to work and live for a year.
Concerns you have/had: Additional earthquakes, food shortages, getting through the airport. Being able to get into the country period. Not so worried about radiation.
Benefits of still going: I finally get to see my fiance after being separated about 5 months! I can learn more about his hometown and everything while the job in Saitama is postponed. Also can be reliable to my employers.
Other key decision factors: I already quit my job (though they say I can come back). Also, the yen is so high now! Even though I have a free place to stay, my finances will be really impacted upon conversion. And if I cannot work until as opposed to April, it will be a bit of a struggle.
If you're undecided, when will you decide:Decided
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: I will be updating in both Okinawa and when I get to Tokyo/Saitama, but I'm not sure where that will be.
by Hopeful (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/18 08:46
TaytheAussie (and everybody else who is going), have a good trip! And if you take pictures, you can use this site's reporting system to post an illustrated report:
http://www.japan-guide.com/m/report.html

I think that many prospective travelers would be highly interested in illustrated reports from present Japan (Eastern and Western).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Nope 2011/3/18 09:29
Original travel dates: Mar. 12-Mar. 20
Have you had to reschedule & to when:Unofficially, July 4 - Jul. 28
What areas: Sendai City, Tokyo
Concerns you have/had:it was WAY too soon after the earthquake to go there; Sendai City had no power/food/water/transportation. too much chaos, even in Tokyo and too many unknowns
Benefits of still going:None
Other key decision factors:Sendai is inaccessible; fiance needed to concentrate on taking care of himself. Narita airport had an insane backlog of passengers. Many flights canceled.
If you're undecided, when will you decide:N/A
by Delita rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 20: Posts 21 - 40 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

reply to this thread