Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 5: Posts 21 - 40 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/7 11:21
Yup, just one! But make sure you have 2 copies of the same picture because if you get in, you'll need to have another copy for your student ID picture!
by bb020708 rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/7 11:40
True! Good luck to you next Monday! It'll be nice if we both get in haha
by kei103 rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/7 13:51
Yup! Just make sure it's a decent-looking photo of you because it'll be on your student ID for an entire year! Ahaha don't want a crappy photo of you following you around!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/8 03:09
For my application essay I didn't use any fancy words and mainly wrote about why I wanted to study at Waseda.
Yeah, the essay prompts for the interview are different every year. The essay I chose was a quote from one of the former US presidents about globalization and equality.
For the interview I flew to Japan and did the interview at the campus. I was asked a few questions by a Bristish teacher about why I chose Waseda, and what I hoped to accomplish through Waseda (stuff like that). Then they had a Japanese intstructor ask me how much Japanese I knew and to speak a bit of it.
by Johanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/8 05:56
Johanna: Were you required to fly out to Japan? Or did you want to do that?
And they asked you to speak Japanese? Were there any Q&A w/ Japanese? Or was it just like "My name is __" kind of introduction?
Sorry about all the questions!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/8 07:34
I just sent in my applications! Dumb question, I used express mail to send my papers so I put the papers in a manila envelope, and that envelope in the express mail envelope. On the outside envelope I wrote the address and made sure to write that one part in red, blah blah. The manila envelope inside was left blank though. That won't be a problem right? Was I suppose to address EACH envelope? Ah well, it's done already and can't be fixed.

And flying to Japan is a choice! On the checklist, you had a choice of where you want your interview held (although not 100% guaranteed you'll get that place) Even if you don't speak Japanese, I'm sure that won't be a disadvantage! That's why you're applying for the international one anyway. I'm scared about the prompts though ahhh...

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/8 09:32
I think I wrote an address on it but it's not really that useful anyways so I doubt it matters.

Yeah I know! If I get an interview, I requested to do it in New York City because I live just outside of the city but before my mom and I knew about the requesting option, we were considering flying back to Japan but I didn't want to miss a week of school for a 2 hour thing lol
I do speak Japanese but if they ask me to voice my opinion about what I wrote about for my essay, which was the American election, I would be majorly screwed. That's why I wanted to know the 'difficulty' of the Japanese part of the interview. I'm assuming it'll be a simple thing but... just in case. lol

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/8 15:47
I know what you mean!! I think I'm in the same position haha. I know enough Japanese to carry out a normal conversation, all casual like between students, but not enough to hold a deep talk about the world or something with adults haha.

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/12 00:20
I sure both of you will do fine!
I chose to fly to Japan because the interview took place during my Thanksgiving holidays so I didn't have to miss school or anything and I just wanted to go to Japan again.
When they asked me to speak in Japanese it was very simple stuff. Just an introduction basically so that they can gauge how much Japanese you know. I didn't know that much at all during that time, so I don't think not being proficient in the language will hurt you. The interview was actually very short. It only lasted about 10 or 15 minutes at the most for me.
The essays weren't that bad. A lot of it is just stating your opinion and then backing it up with facts or examples. (Atleast in my case it was.)

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/12 00:21
I meant to say "I'm sure both of you will do fine!" instead of "I sure" of course. haha

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/12 01:27
Ooh that's very convenient then! If I pass the documentation stage, my interview will be on April 7th or something like that and I have school the next week so I doubt I'll go to Japan for that...

Ok thank you so much for your response!! :) It definitely made me less stressed about the interview and essay ahaha
by bb020708 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/12 03:27
Thank you very much for the info Johanna! :D And bb020708, do you get your results tomorrow? Ahhhh good luck!
by kei103 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/12 12:50
I'm not sure. Some time next week! Eee so nervous

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/12 21:51
I passe d the documentation stage! I'm so glad!
But now, I have to do the interview and essay ;~;

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/13 08:00
AHH Congratulations for now!!! I think this is still a big step for you! :) Good luck on the interview and written exam! if it's true that the interview is only 10-15 min, I don't think they'll have time to ask detailed stuff or hard questions. Im not sure how you can prepare for the written exam but follow the usual format for an essay I'm guessing.. intro, body paragraphs, conclusion.. like an SAT written essay. Good luck! And congrats once again! :)

I received an email today saying they received my documents but I'm missing some parts that I'm pretty sure I've sent... they wanted a copy of my passport too. Did you send that as well??
by kei103 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/13 08:49
Thank you!
I plan on just going over the basic questions for the interview with my teachers at school and I guess for the essay, I'll go over literally classics like "Hamlet" and "Scarlet Letter" because I'll probably be able to use one of those books! I hope I'm not nervous on the day of ;~;

Hm, I don't think I did. I applied as a Japanese national so I didn't send them a passport photo but if they want one, I would just send a photocopy. Also, I would just send in everything they said they haven't received just to be on the safe side.

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/3/21 07:25
Johanna: You're currently at SILS, right? Is there a clear difference between SP1 students and SP2 students? And by that, I mean are all your classes with just SP2 students? Are there Japanese students who are in the SP2 program? Sorry for all these questions!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/14 00:54
Ah it's been a while. I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I'm wondering, how was the interview and written test??

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/15 00:56
Ah! Sorry it's been so long since my last reply! I haven't checked this forum lately. Congratulations on passing the documentation and good luck with the interview!!

SP1 and SP2 students aren't that different. I think the main difference is that for SP1 students it is mandatory to study abroad, whereas SP2 students can if they want to but it's not necessary.

Most of my classes, except my Japanese language classes of course, are half Japanese students and half foreigners, so you get a good mix of students.

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/23 12:31
I passed the documentation! I'll be there starting in September :)

The interview and written test was ok. I honestly thought my interviewers hated me because of my views. There was one English professor and a Japanese professor and the English one did a lot more talking. He did most of the talking in the entire interview, actually. They never asked me questions like "Why Waseda?" or "Why Japan?" They asked me mainly about what I wrote about my essay, which was the republican primaries. They asked me really weird questions like "Why do you think American debates are full of screaming and name calling?" They did ask me why I thought I would be a good leader and that was the only time I had a chance to tell them what I did.

Joanna: Oh ok! I know I shouldn't be worried about this but I'm worried about making friends ;~; I guess I'll be seeing you around on campus next year! :)

Page 2 of 5: Posts 21 - 40 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread