Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 205 of 233: Posts 4081 - 4100 of 4652
prev
1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 233
next

Flag 2017/8/24 09:53
Eric et al

This is a wonderful idea !! Do It !!
Hey you get to back to Japan...and be a hero .
I hope you can find a way to post it and contact the Obon Society.
Can you tell us more about the history of this flag ?
and...if you need someone to carry your bags..Im available ...
Maybe you could do the handover at the Olympic games...what a rush !

by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Battle flag 2017/8/24 10:33
I think Obon Society hunts down remaining relatives of the men who signed the flag, if they can be found.

The old Marine's flag I mentioned was repatriated to at least one of the signatory's relatives still living.

I don't know how this one came into the possession of a relative in Iowa (who gave it to me.) There was a time when one could find trophies like this for sale at regional gun shows in the US.

It will be interesting to follow the trail.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/10/9 10:33
Hi everyone...hope you all had a great summer. We have finally returned to the big city ......Glad to see that this thread is still functional. Thanks Dave for reminding us about the Tanabe book. I had read about it somewhere, then lost the name...The Diplomat's Daughter., before I could get hold of it.

Re Karuizawa....it is now only a little more than an hour away from Tokyo, thanks I suppose to modern high speed trains. I remember the beauty of the place, but also the freezing cold, minimal heat, and our basic apartment over a Japanese barber shop, next to train tracks. The Swiss consulate people were there and the source of information about the progress of the war, since radios were not allowed to foreigners ......my most vivid memory has to do with earthquakes.....Karuizawa sits 1000 meters high along an active volcano. I was walking down the street when suddenly the ground opened up and there was a huge deep crater in front of me. Nothing happened to me (I was 5 years old), but it was very scary, to say the least...thank you Kauri for the marvelous videos you manage to find and post.

Does anyone know if the Fukushita (spelling?) atomic reactor is now under control, or if there is still leakage of hot matter into the ocean? Is the land area around it safe, or permanently off limits? Have the people who had to evacuate been relicated into permanent housing? I have not seen anything about any of this anywhere. Best regards to you all.

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/10/9 16:48
Hello Steffi and all,

I think nuclear power plants in Fukushiman is never under control. Thousands of evacuees of accident still live in temporary housing. When heavy raining in Fukushima nuclear plans, adioactive contaminated water is flowing in the Pacific Ocean. 6 years have passed from the big earthquake, but there is still sometimes aftershock.

This link is talking about the truth. But residents in earthquake hit area are living powerfully.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/09/fukushima-nuclear-cleanu...

by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/10/12 00:01
Kauru.....thank you for the article, which unfortunately states that none of the damaged nuclear plants are under control, that the robots being used have failed to reverse anything, that there is no plan B in place to rectify anything, and also that ground water continues to mix with the contaminated water with radiation continuing to leak into the Pacific these past six years....
Let's hope a solution will be found and implemented, though the article (dated March of this year) is not hopeful. A concern is also mentioned about the 2020 Olympics, which are to take place there, though with the committee making that decision while falsely believing the reactor issues to be no longer problematic......

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/10/13 19:46
You're welcome Steffi-san,

The Asian some area is very dangerous. The leader is provocative. But the family of U.S. forces who resides in the neighboring country and the American general citizen aren't withdrawn yet. I wish that this state isn't long-lasting.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/10/22 12:32
A very large typhoon is passing through the Japanese archipelago, that is 925 hPa itfs raining hard to western part of Japan about 800 mm a day. That will approach to Yokohama tomorrow early morning. The pattern this typhoon is similar to Vera in 1959.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/10/23 00:05
Typhoon Lan is huge and very powerful. The estimated track will take it right over Yokohama with very strong winds and heavy rain. Our thoughts are with the people of Japan and especially Kaoru-san.
Stay safe and dry. !!
In other ''news'' I have just learned that my first wife ''Ozzie" that was with me in Japan, passed away on August 25th. We had a great time in Japan and I credit her with urging me to travel and explore Japan as we did. Without her I probably would not have done all the things I did. I thank her for that.

Haiku 2017/10/28 13:49
Hope this finds all in our discussion group doing well. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, which was performed on August 22. Healing and recovery are going well; physical therapy and exercises at home are helping me regain use and range of motion for my arm.
The real reason I'm posting is I noticed no one has posted a Haiku poem for quite a while, so here's my latest attempt:
Winter approaches
Cold days, even colder nights
Some will hibernate
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/4 21:50
Lori san,

Thank you for your good Haiku, It has nice season words.
Your shoulder surgery was successful, good news for us.
Yokohama is mid autumn and beautiful ginkgo leaves.

This You Tube is Old Japan 1930s Enjoy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgZSCRkKH5k

Arigatou,

Thank you Kaoru 2017/11/7 02:42
Thank you for your kind words about my shoulder surgery and healing. I'm happy you liked my Haiku. The area of NW Washington State where I live has had some snow the last 3 days. It is early for snow! I'm glad the snow melted quickly, but roads are icy early in the mornings. Thank you for the link to the video of early Japan. I enjoyed watching; also there are more videos and I could've watched for hours!
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/7 12:28
I always enjoy the film snippets from 1950s-1960s Japan.
Thet make me long for the Japan long gone...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/13 11:15
Todays Haiku

A leaf....
Frozen to the ground...
There it will stay......

Good Haiku 2017/11/14 10:14
Good, it is flavored.

How many is the lowest temperature of NH? Yokohama is warm here is around 60 degrees, Leaves of Ginkgo trees on the main street fall almost.

North Korea tension 2017/11/18 11:46
We are nearly buried in Oak leaves and other Missouri hardwood leaves this fall.

Glad we own a big back pack blower...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/18 23:50
Kaoru san
the coldest temperatures can get to -20 F. (-29 C) This is in January or February. But normal Lows can be steady at 5 or 10 Below zero F. We live on the seacoast which is milder. We love it when it gets above freezing !

My apartment in Yokohama had no central heating but I didnt discover this until it got colder and I went looking for the thermostat. Not there. We used a small electric heater and a keroscene heater. It wasn't too bad.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/19 12:19
Peter san, Arigatou.

I hear that NH is very cold that place is the same temperature as northern part of Japan maybe you can see the wonderful landscape in all season.

Many houses have air conditioners now. The nuclear power plants working in Japan is a few now, and the most is thermal power generations. But there is no rise in power rates, It's strange for me. The electric bill, gas and kerosene are much more expensive than US.

Peter 2017/11/19 12:52
Hi, Peter, a few months ago you posted about reading about "stragglers" on Guam. Could you please share what material you found on these soldiers? Was it online? Or a book? I have been researching this issue. Thank you so much.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Fukushima 2017/11/19 12:57
In the U.S. the Fukushima story has been followed by PBS (Public Television), primarily NOVA but also, I think, Frontline and the PBS News Hour. This is one such link from earlier this year, but others may be found by browser search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCEjWNGv6Y
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2017/11/20 00:22
Hi Kaoru,

Thanks so much for the 1930's film clips you sent us. Your postings are always interesting....

As Lori pointed out, there a lot of other interesting films there ... I particularly recommend "Japan's War in Color (Complete Documentary)" which is an amazing full-length documentary with footage not seen before......sorry I don't know how to copy and paste on this tablet.......but the title above should pop up easily.

The film presents the Pacific war clearly as experienced by the Japanese. It doesn't take sides, as far as I can see. It merely shows what happened from 1937 (which is when the war really began for Japan) to 1945, when it finally ended and the U.S. Occupation began.....there are lots of interesting details I for one didn't fully understand before....

Thanks again, Kaoru,.....and hope Lori is fully recovered by now....best to everyone.

Page 205 of 233: Posts 4081 - 4100 of 4652
prev
1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 233
next

reply to this thread