Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 55 of 55
prev
1 2 3

I see 2007/6/28 18:46
Ah, that explains it. You go right down so your butt is just above your heels. This will also help you with accuracy- at that kind of height it is hard to miss! I'm afraid it does get you pretty close to the toilet itself, but that's just the way it is.

It's not necessary to put your heels down, balance on your toes if you can't get your heels down in this position.

Practice squatting like this at home- in many Asian countries this is actually how a lot of people sit to work, rest, chat etc.
by Sira rate this post as useful

?? 2007/11/1 16:21
I have lived in Japan for over a year and I still have difficulty with the squat. #2 is fine but #1 is difficult with female plumbing. I find I can't aim and it just depends on the day where it decides to go otherwise I can take a ridiculously long time. I can't help but wonder if Japanese mothers teacher their daughters some sort of special technique that I missing out on.
by Jennichan rate this post as useful

toilets 2007/11/2 15:07
It's just practice. Details here but basically you can't pee as fast as you would on a western style toilet, and you do have to get down quite low so that there isn't as much chance to miss.

Squat 2007/11/4 16:24
I noticed on my recent trips (Spring 06 and October 07) tha tmore and more public toilets not only have Western style toilets but many also have bidet seat that washes you.. they also have a germicidal cleaner to disinfectthe seat before using it.. look for them in a department store, a big chain hotel etc. I have even found some in parks and gardens toilets
at least Japanese squat toilets are easier on the clothes than the European ones..over there every so often the bottom of the pants would get wet when the automatic flush would go on without warning or the wallet would fall in the hole as the later was right under one's body..UGH..
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

Just wanted to add 2007/11/5 22:04
A good way I used to get comfortable with the squat position was wearing heels. In heels I was able to hold the correct position with no pain at all and even remain balanced without holding onto something. So if your new at the position I recommned heels (unless you are not used to wearing heels, then it might be worse)
by Kris rate this post as useful

old thread... but what the heck 2007/11/7 06:36
I guess in total I have spent about 2-3 months in Japan. I have only had to deal with the squat toilets a few times despite the fact that I have IBS and sometimes don't have the option of waiting. There were a few times when I just used the handicapped toilet (western) to avoid the squat toilets.

Most places seem to have western toilets, but some older public restrooms and tourist places still only have the squat toilets.

They were a little hard to get the hang of, and I must admit that in the beginning I did take my jeans off a few times and hang them up because it was just hard to keep my balance with them on, and I was afraid of having an embarassing accident. And it did feel a little strange to go like that, since I was use to having a seat... not just air bellow my buttocks.

Practice makes perfect though! It got easier each time. I didn't have enough opportunities to truly perfect it, but I did find I prefered the squat position... it is just more natural and it actually seemed easier to pass everything sometimes.
by R rate this post as useful

Panty Hose are More Difficult 2008/4/10 16:44
The elasticity of panty hose (especially those that are very tight) can be counterproductive to using a squat. Trousers, skirts with stocks or socks are far easier to work with.

As an aside, for those wishing Western toilets in Japan, the best places are restaurants (especially Western styled), hotel lobbies and train stations (while they have squats, there's usually 1 Western toilet for disabled/pregnant).

Personally I find elimination with squat toilets to be more complete and satisfying than Western toilets.

Good luck!
by Onmyoji X rate this post as useful

Cleaning up 2008/4/12 12:56
Are people expected to clean up after themselves after using the toilet? When doing a #2, sometimes it splashes outside the toilet. I know there are cleaning people who clean toilets, but I was wondering if we should clean up after our own mess.
by Mary rate this post as useful

toilet troubles 2008/4/12 15:04
Think of the person who comes after you- how would you like to be the next person after someone who has made a mess? Of course you should clean it up, just like you would (I hope) with a western style toilet.

Why do you think you are having so much trouble hitting the toilet? Do you squat right down? I haven't once had the problem you mention in 10 years of living in Japan and a lot of travelling in Asia, so I think you need to be more careful.

I'm slow 2008/4/12 21:59
Well, I have a health problem and I can't get to the toilet and do all that needs to be done fast enough. You young people can aim well, but not everyone can.
by Mary rate this post as useful

clean it up 2008/4/15 05:18
What's wrong with cleaning it up yourself? Are you handicap or something?
by Joan rate this post as useful

Toilets 2008/4/18 09:29
I don't know about the ladies restrooms, but the mens are pretty disgusting sometimes.
by Howard rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/18 09:31
the mens are pretty disgusting sometimes.

A feature of public restrooms around the world.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

My 2 Cents 2008/4/20 14:21
An old thread with plenty of answers, but I thought I'd give my solution to the squatty-potty problem. I was always too nervous to keep the pants all the way on, but instead of taking them off, I would step out of one side of my panties and pants and hold them to the non-potty side. Then you can do your business with no chance of wetting!
by Cam rate this post as useful

the squat toilet 2008/7/24 15:00
ive been in japan for 4 months now and when i first came i looked for western style toilets i usually found one (end of a row of stalls usually) but one day i was forced to use a squat toilet heres how u do it;
1.stand over the bowl facing the hooded bit
2.pull your pants down over your knees or ankle ( if you are having a pee you may prefer to take them off completely)
3. squat down so your butt is a few centimetres over the bowl(be careful not to fall! in some toilets they are hand rails)
4. have a pee (or the other one)
5 wipe yourself
6.wash hands and leave knowing youve conquered using the squat toilet
remember always bring your own tissue and a small towel since most toilets do not have dryers

after usind the squat toilet for 3 months i now actually prefer the squat toilet to the western style toilet the squatter is part of the experience!
by kaz rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 55 of 55
prev
1 2 3

reply to this thread