Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 5: Posts 41 - 60 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/23 12:46
Oh, and for the interview they didn't ask me to speak Japanese. One of the first things they said to me was "Do you think your opinion differs from your friends because you're Japanese-American?" and "Do you read Japanese to keep in touch with Japanese news?" so I assume they knew I spoke how to speak it. The entire interview took 15 minutes. It felt more like a conversation than an interview too. I really thought they hated me but I guess not! lol
by bb020708 rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/23 15:00
Congratulations!!!! :) I am so happy for you! And of course, thank you for the information. If they're gonna talk more about the essay..that seems so much more harder! I wrote about North Korea and honestly, I'm not always up to date with the news...so I guess I should get to that right away. How was the written test?

I thought I would hear news about my application tomorrow but it turns out they just send it out tomorrow, not necessarily us receiving it tomorrow. So I have like 1 more week of waiting! AH! Killing me
by kei103 rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/23 20:12
I only got 2 options for the written test. One was about how I thought the value and experience of the college education differed because of the recent rise of people attending college vs decades ago. The other one was about a random quote from a philosopher that seemed really hard so I didn't even bother thinking about it. I thought I would have a 3rd option but there wasn't so I went with the first one. I used the entire 60 minutes to write it out but I wasn't really in a rush. I used 2.5papers. I thought my essay was pretty solid like it wasn't ~amazing~ but it didn't suck either lol
ahahaha oh god I remember that :( I got my package I think it was the Wednesday of the same week so I'm assuming you'll be getting it this Wednesday!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/24 00:09
Ah thank you thank you for the information! Though I don't think it'll be the same prompt because people would probably be asking the same questions like I am to you haha xD. So you received a package instead of a letter? I'm scared if I just receive a thin letter ;(

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/24 02:35
Ahaha probably. Although I feel like talking about colleges is a recurring theme in Waseda's prompts. I remember in sodai.org, the OP talked about how one of his topics was something about the college education?
Don't worry, my initial 'package' was very very thin. I thought I had gotten rejected, but nope! I only received 3 pieces of paper, one saying about my acceptance, the second was my admissions id 'card' which is just a piece of paper, and the 3rd was a map that showed where my interview would be. It'll be at your doorstep soon enough! Good luck!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/24 07:42
Ah thank you very much! :)

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/27 00:56
bb020708: Congratulations!!! You might have had the same English interviewer that I had. When he interviewed me, I thought he hated me too! Haha. I don't think it's too hard to make friends at Waseda... everyone is pretty nice.
I guess I will be seeing you on campus in September then! Will you be living in a dorm?

Kei: I think you will do just fine. Let me know how your results turn out, ok?
by Johanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/27 06:50
I may be living with my dad or I might be living alone in a nearby apartment! I'm probably not going to be living in a dorm though.
I have a quick question for you! I'm interesting in learning Japanese over the summer before I start classes at SILS and I was looking at Waseda's Intensive Language Program. Do you know anything about it? Is it mainly for 'foreigners' or beginners? I consider Japanese to be my native language but my English is a lot better but if the program is geared towards foreigners or beginners, I'm not sure if it'll be the right program for a person like me. Sorry about all these questions!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/27 09:14
Johanna: Ignore my question xD I just read the sample textbook for the hardest level and I could breeze right through it so I'm going to look for another program lol

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 02:51
AHHH!!! I just got accepted to Waseda with an unconditional offer!!!! They don't want an interview or written exam from me, which I am VERY surprised... because last year, I got rejected to a total of 6 schools in the U.S that's similar to Waseda's ranking. Anyway, I also got accepted to ICU as well so I will most likely be visiting both colleges in early May to check out campuses. I really don't know which one to go to, but if I go to Waseda, I hope to definitely meet you there! ^^

Since I can't tell by your name, are you a guy or a girl?? And half Japanese?

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 05:21
Congratulations!! That's great news! I'm so jealous you don't have to go through the interview process lol Have fun visiting the campuses! I absolutely love Waseda's campus, especially the SILS building. It's a very modern building and the college itself is right in the middle of Tokyo!
I'm full Japanese and I lived in Japan for a couple of years when I was younger but otherwise, I've been in America my entire life. And I'm a girl! :)

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 06:37
Thank you thank you!! ^^ and Oh, I'll be sure to check out the buildings then! Do you know if there are any student government?? Are you planning on joining any clubs? :D I'm half Japanese/Korean and a girl too btw! ^^

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 07:50
Yeah, I also really loved the Takadanobaba area, which is "college town" of Waseda and I'll probably be living around there too! I have a couple of friends who go to ICU so if you go there, maybe you'll meet them!
I'm not sure if there is, sorry! I really want to join a volleyball group. I'm not sure if I want to join the official Waseda volleyball team or just a casual team. I might join Niji no Kai too because it seems like a cool club!

I hope I get to see you in the fall! Ehe no pressure or anything lol

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 08:03
Ohh I see! Do you know which dorms are good? Or where you personally want to live at? Yes, if I go to Waseda, we must meet at least once! Haha!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 08:13
I'm probably not going to live in a dorm since the dorms are 30-40 minutes from Waseda and I want to be close to the school. The dorm that I liked though was Tanishi. It looked really nice and if I were to stay in the dorm, that would probably be it. Buuut I think I'm just going to live in a student apartment. There are a bunch of apartments close to the school that are semi-cheap and right in the center of everything.
Ahaha yes! I'm trying to find other Waseda-to-be students on the internet but I've only found one other girl so far :(

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 10:08
Ohh that is pretty far! Are student apartment information on the Waseda site too? (I don't have a package yet haha!) I might consider sharing an apartment too then :)! If its closer and not ridiculously expensive!

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/29 10:46
Yeah, that's why I'm iffy about staying in a dorm. And also, I feel like with dorms, you don't get as much freedom as you do if you live alone. Like there's curfews, you can't bring your guy friends into your room, etc.
I don't think we're getting housing information until the 2nd batch hears back so probably around late June or early July.
I think there are, but I'm just looking at regular student apartment sites that are used by other Japanese students. like suumo, chintai, etc. It's pretty handy but not for right now since the apartments are on the market right now won't be when I/we'll be looking for them so lol But after searching around on them for hours, I've gotten the gist of what apartments are typically like and how much they should cost.

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/30 02:00
hello all!

I am a former Waseda student at a Graduate School. I have stayed in Tokyo almost two years, and soon to be leaving Japan for good.

Two years ago I got so interested in Waseda and was really glad to be accepted. Actually, it was pretty hard competition given the graduate school

But..have to say that this experience was not worth all its money at all, and let me say it again...AT ALL.

Waseda is being sponsored as such international institution, when in reality..
the level of English spoken by the majority of students and..regrettably professors is really embarassing.

Then, the level of instruction is very discussible. What matters is presence in class, not how much you study. Debate or intellectual conversation is almost unknown.

If you wish to study there, prepare yourself to tond of leisure time, and money being thrown away.

It was not this bad. But I didnt learn anything at all.
I enjoyed the campus atmosphere..but thats all.

As for SILS, what I heard is that classes are really easy, and pretty much my impression.

So, guys, consider carefully...
if you really want to learn something valuable, I would recommend to avoid Waseda, unless you just want to have fun.

Choose European Universities, which are much cheaper, and...with longer tradition.

Just a piece of advice from someone who did it!

by FormerWasedaStudent (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/4/30 15:48
bb020708: I'm looking at dorm information on the Waseda site and how to apply. They want us/me to download forms and send it to blah blah but the deadline says March 02 or something for the second batch which is ridiculous because why would I apply for dorms when I don't even know my results (back then) you know? I just want to confirm...you don't have any packets/information mailed to you right? All I got was a piece of paper saying I'm accepted, and another paper which is my temporary "ID". They said they'll send out entrance procedure stuff in late June, so until then, we don't really have to do anything except research right?

And former student, thanks for the info. I'm going to physically visit myself in a week so I'll see what it's like for myself :) I'm also accepted to ICU in Japan so I'm thinking which one to go to.
by kei103 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Specific Waseda SILS Application Questions 2012/5/1 07:58
Yeah, I only got a letter saying how much I owed the school for the 1st semester tuition and how to send that money to Japan. I think the March deadline is for the April 2012 students, it makes more sense. And yeah, all we can do is research for now. I might be living in a dorm now so I'm looking at a bunch of different things but there's so many to choose from and I have no clue where to start lol

Page 3 of 5: Posts 41 - 60 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread