Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 5 of 6: Posts 81 - 100 of 102
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/3/8 16:05
Yes, it was easy to get tickets. I went to the stadium about 1.5 -2 hours before the game. There was already a pretty active crowd around.

Various ticket windows were open, some had lines, some didn't. The labeling above the windows was all in Japanese. I got in the longest line, assuming it was for same day sales. After ten minutes or so, I realized that the line was moving slowly, and one guy was up front at the window with a calendat talking to the agent, at which point I realized I might be in the advance ticket line.

I asked/mimed the people around me, no one spoke English, they then waved me to the left towards the lineless windows (around windows 7-10 maybe?), where I bought my ticket immediately.

Seating chart is here: http://gethiroshima.com/carp-ticket-guide/

The ticket lady showed me a map of the stadium, I pointed towards the good lower infield seats that would cost 4100 yen, she then made a "no, not available wave" and instead showed me an informal looking piece of paper that just said 2500, 1500, 1000, 500 yen with Japanese writing on it.

I pointed to 2500, she gave me a ticket. The ticket had some Japanese writing but no seat number on it. My thought was that the good seats were all sold out and I had bought a mid-range 2500 yen general admission seat somewhere in the outfield.

I walk in wander around towards the outfield, ask an usher where my seat is, and he gestures towards lower infield and says "infield"

I walk back to the infield area, show my ticket, the ushers wave me to sit wherever I want.

So I think what was happening is that because it's preseason, prices are reduced, and there are four tiers of general admission seats. 2500 yen lets you take any of basically the best seats in the house, lower level infield, right behind home plate, wherever. Then 1500, 1000, 500 yen you're probably in general admission in the upper levels, the bleachers, etc.

I'd say the stadium was half full, and that was on a Saturday afternoon, nice weather. Seats available in all sections. Crowd is very enthusiastic and it seems at least half were wearing Carp jerseys.

A few other tips. Some of the concession soft drink machines seem to serve only indecipherable Japanese soft drinks, so I went with beer. I later saw that some stands did have coca-cola.

Big souvenir stand selling Carp gear both right outside the entrance gates and also inside on the concourse level.

You can also buy advance tickets (I think at least one day in advance) at a place called "Carpio," an official Carp souvenir shop/ticket office in town. The stadium souvenir shops are bigger and have more hats and jerseys, the Carpio shop might have more cards/postcards of the players.

Carp have a big fat American first baseman named Brad Eldred and I think one other American and some Latin American players.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
by gavinmac (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/4/8 12:40
Just wanted to say a big "Thank You" to tokyofriend for the tips on going to a game.
We went to see Giants v Tigers last night and it was a fantastic night out.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/4/9 05:10
Thanks for the comment. Clap Clap!!
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/4/10 12:34
Quick question, i would like to catch the Tigers Vs Swallows game on 20th April.
Problem is, i prefer not to buy from a 3rd party online (so expensive!) but, will only be in Japan on 20th morning itself.

- Any idea what are the chances of getting a ticket for the game on the morning itself? I could head to Lawson to try to purchase first thing in the morning when i land. If it looks to be really hard, i'll try to see if i've a friend who can read japanese to buy this online for me... not sure if thats even a viable option. haha

- Which tickets would you recommend me to get? I would like to seat with the home team - Tigers! Still new to the game of baseball, so i'm there more for the atmosphere then to actually watch the game.

Thanks!
by Janice (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/4/10 17:40
I think you can buy day tickets at Koshien Stadium on 20 Apr, it's Wed day and not school holiday, so I'm sure you can easily buy day tickets there if you are alright with sitting on visitors side(left side).
I would image Tigers side(Home & right side) will still available to buy. Just check the weather on 20 Apr, Koshien is not a dome type stadium.

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/4/11 02:21
Thanks, tokyofriend48, we did a lot of clapping, and tried our best to join in with all the Giants' chants )even though I have to say that the Tigers' fans seemed to sing louder and to have better chants - but maybe that was because they were winning).

In any case, it was a fantastic night out and our first experience of baseball in any country ever. The other fans sitting nearby made us feel really welcome, and the whole experience was great.

Your tips (which gate to go to, which tickets to buy) really helped us, so thanks again.

If you ever want to come to London and have any questions, I would be really eased if I could help you with them.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/4/11 21:33
Sorry - in my last post "eased" should have read "pleased".
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/5/14 13:46
This thread helped by a lot during my trip to Japan where I saw games in Yokohama, Hiroshima and the Tokyo Dome. The games were my favorite activity during my trip to Japan.

I have a few questions.
1) When did teams start releasing balloons? Why do they do it? Why do only a few teams release balloons?

2) How come teams use such as the Swallows do an umbrella dance?

Thanks again for your help. I hope all your teams are playing well.
by Russell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/5/14 20:33
Those balloons will be released in the 7th inning, because of "Lucky Seven".
The majority of stadiums are not allowed to do such as Jingu(Swallows) and Tokyo Dome(Giants) because of construction and fire safety laws.
Jingu stadium locates in residential area and close to railway stations. Once balloons go outside of stadium, it may affect railway system and lead train accidents(eg, fire and electric explosion).
Tokyo and Nagoya Domes are also restricted to use balloons because of construction reasons. Balloons may be left on the top roof which may cause damages of indoor type stadium.
And also, during flu season, balloons are restricted to use. It may spread flu to attendees. Small balloon pumps are only used in some stadiums during flu season. Blowing balloons are not allowed.
Yokohama and Koshien(Tigers) staduims also locate in residential area and close to railway stations but they use special designed ballons which won't go far outside of stadium. They normally use smaller size ballons. Therefore, balloons other than official designed are not allowed to use in those stadiums(you must buy one at the stadium).

2)Yakult Swallows was not a popular team compared to Ginats especially between 1950s and 1970s.
One of Swallows fan used an umbrella to support the team, it looks double the number of fans.
Umbrellas are easy to carry and it doesn't look strange while it carries. This is the reason Swallows fans use umbrellas.

"Tokyo ondo dance" is a typical and famous summer dance and music in Tokyo. Swallows use this music as the team supporting music(official or unofficial, unsure). It's a common music for especially for people in Tokyo. So that attendees can dance instantly with swinging umbrellas.
The team color of Swallows is blue/green, so they normally use blue/green color umbrellas but girls/ladies often use pink/red/orange color umbrellas, so colors are not so much concern these days(other than black).

Tokyo ondo dance(summer festival dance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MubKdKR95q0

Swallows Tokyo ondo dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5REeW_Pqjyc

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/5/14 22:32
Thank you Tokyo Friend 48, I may have a use for your information on the 24th of May.... they play the Tigers!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/23 08:47
Getting closet to my baseball trip to Japan in September.

One current question... (looking in your direction Tokyo Friend :))

I am planning on going to the Carp game in Hiroshima Tuesday September 8. From what I can tell, the Carp sell out a lot of their games.

Should I buy my tickets from a broker online sooner than later, or will there probably be tickets when we show up 2-3 hours before the game?

Prices I have found so far for two tickets best available

Voyagin - $116
Japanball - 139.40
Viagogo - None listed

Additionally, I have already purchased my tickets for the two Giants games in Tokyo (thanks to their fantastic English language website) but from what I understand the Giants and Carp are the only teams I should really have to worry about availability. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Any help appreciated

by Ya Gotta Have Wa! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/23 14:08
You gotta have wa

I went to the Tokyo Dome and to Mazda Stadium this past March. You are in for a treat seeing a game in Hiroshima. I have been to 23 MLB stadiums and Mazda Stadium would fall into the top 5 best if it were in the U.S. Make sure you take a walk out to the Performance section and talk to the band as several members spoke English. Also get balloons and start blowing them up long before the middle of the 7th as they take some time to blow up. While walking to the stadium right near Lawsons is a privately owned store which sells Japanese baseball teams goods. They have different items then are sold at the stadium.

Before or after the Giants game you should visit the MLB Caf Tokyo which is located right outside of the Tokyo Dome. The female servers wear various MLB teams jerseys and also put on a performance.

Will you have time to see a game at Jinju or in Yokohama?

I

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/24 07:47
Thanks for the insight Russell!

I am really looking forward to the trip, I’ve been to all of the park in the US at some point although I haven’t been to the new park in Miami yet, so I figure it’s time to visit some parks I can’t get to by car.

Thanks for the tips, I think I would really enjoy seeing the band play, I’ll be sure to check that out. I would gladly take any additional advice you have to offer.

Not sure if this link will work, but here is a map of the games we’re going to.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1hDTEIuLZNVCBatxX3T1Som2Wh04

Jinju is on the list, but I don’t think we’ll make it to Yokohama for a game.

Cheers!
by Ya gotta have wa! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/24 08:01
September 8(Thursday?) Carp vs Dragons in Mazda stadium is held on weekday and school holiday is over so I would image if you are okay while you sit on the visitor's side(Dragons side), there are some day tickets available but it getting closer to the end of baseball season so is still unsure.
The day tickets are not on sale if pre tickets are all sold out.

If you are in Hiroshima September 6 - 7, visit Mazda stadium ticket office(1st base side, open 11:00 - ) and ask for tickets availablity for September 8 game. You can buy there while tickets are left.
Write game date clearly and hand it to the staff there that you want Sep 8 game, not 6 or 7th game tickets.
If you are unable to visit there until Sep 8, is gamble but I would think the visitor's side is avalilable(no guarantee).

Do not wear a red uniform or clothing if you sit on the visitor's side.

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/24 09:28
Thanks Tokyo Friend! You are a treasure to this page!!
by ya got to have wa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/24 20:26
Seeing you write that made me realise: I've been to easily, 250+ MLB games in my life and every single one of them has been at Skydome/Rogers Centre.

Me going to Japan in less than a month, I will be seeing 3 games in 3 different venues lol: I need to get around more!
by Truck101 rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/26 04:13
Going to a baseball game is one of my favorite local activities. It blew my mind the first time (coming from the US).
by SlickEric rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/6/26 22:50
Update: So I have been worried about buying tickets in advance for a few of the games on my trip. Well I found a useful solution.

I am planning on using Air B&B while traveling, I booked and pre-paid a number of my lodgings well in advance and always invite my host to join us at the baseball game.

Today I got a response from one of my hosts Hiroki who said he would be delighted to join us and offered to purchase all of the tickets in advance the day they are made available. Problem solved!!
by You gotta have wa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/7/11 13:53
I am in the process of planning another trip to Japan in late November till the middle of December. I will be visiting Okinawa and I am wondering if any teams will be practicing at this time?

Since the 2016 season is over with will the price on baseball goods be on clearance?

Thank you for all your help!!!

Re: 2016 Baseball season schedule 2016/7/11 15:31
@ Russell

A1)
No games in Nov,Dec/as winter no snow but already cold no good for playing.
http://npb.jp/eng/
"Spring Camp" starts "1 Feb" at Okinawa islands mainly.
(calling "camp in/キャンプイン")
Feb is still "winter" as season but Okinawa is very warmer than mainland.

A2)
Basically Okinawa is no Pro-Baseball team.
http://npb.jp/eng/teams/
So it would not be expected too much.

Okinawa's pro sport teams are Football,basketball and Handball only.
by B・B (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 5 of 6: Posts 81 - 100 of 102
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread