Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 5 of 5: Posts 81 - 98 of 98
prev
1 2 3 4 5

more on the te imasu 2004/11/17 11:45
Hi, i tried doing some more similar sentences - and am somewhat shaky on these 2 sentences with hairu as the verb used :

1. ‚ê‚¢‚¼‚±‚É@‚­‚¾‚à‚Ì‚ª@‚Í‚¢‚Á‚Ä@‚¢‚Ü‚·B
can't i use arimasu? meaning someone has entered the fruits in the refrigerator?
2. A: ƒR[ƒq[A‚à‚¤@‚¢‚Á‚Ï‚¢@‚¢‚©‚ª‚Å‚·‚©@B@
B: ‚¢‚¢‚¦A@‚¯‚Á‚±‚¤‚Å‚·@‚Ü‚¾@‚Í‚¢‚Á‚Ä@‚¢‚Ü‚·‚©‚çB
Actually, I cannot even understand this sentence properly..

by baishakhi rate this post as useful

Let me try 2004/11/17 13:23
Hi, as I will be doing the Level 4 exam soon, answering (or attempting to answer) these questions is a good exercise for me. AK can correct me if I am wrong.
1. ‚ê‚¢‚¼‚±‚É@‚­‚¾‚à‚Ì‚ª@‚Í‚¢‚Á‚Ä@‚¢‚Ü‚·B
can't i use arimasu? meaning someone has entered the fruits in the refrigerator?
Whether imasu or arimasu is used depends on the verb itself. Because hairu is an intransive verb (not used with the particle ‚ð) so it means that the fruits are existing inside the refrigerator. If you wish to have the "arimasu" form, we must use a transitive verb (one used with the particle ‚ð) such as “ü‚ê‚é "ireru" which means to place inside. Then we can say: ‚ê‚¢‚¼‚±‚É@‚­‚¾‚à‚Ì‚ª@“ü‚ê‚Ä@‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·BThis means the fruits were already put inside.

2. A: ƒR[ƒq[A‚à‚¤@‚¢‚Á‚Ï‚¢@‚¢‚©‚ª‚Å‚·‚©@B@
B: ‚¢‚¢‚¦A@‚¯‚Á‚±‚¤‚Å‚·@‚Ü‚¾@‚Í‚¢‚Á‚Ä@‚¢‚Ü‚·‚©‚çB
AF Coffee, again one cup, how about it? (i.e. how about another cup of coffee)
B: No, that OK. Still inside because. (Because I am still inside)
by Mark rate this post as useful

Follow up 2004/11/17 13:31
Actually instead of:
‚ê‚¢‚¼‚±‚É@‚­‚¾‚à‚Ì‚ª@“ü‚ê‚Ä@‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·BThis means the fruits were already put inside.
I should have said:
‚ê‚¢‚¼‚±‚É@‚­‚¾‚à‚Ì‚ð@“ü‚ê‚Ä@‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·BSince I said "ireru" is a transitive verb and is used with the particle "‚ð" so I should not use "‚ª" in that sentence.

Another follow-up 2004/11/20 10:21
Mark's explanation on 1 is perfect. It would be either: Reizouko ni kudamono ga haitte imasu (Fruits are in the fridge)," or "Reizouko ni kudamono wo irete arimasu. (Fruits have been placed inside the fridge = so they are there.)"

About 2, "mada haitte imasu kara" means "Still (some coffee) is in (my cup)," = I still have some coffee.

by AK rate this post as useful

Particles before (verb )+te+iru/aru? 2004/11/20 17:58
kudamono wo irete arimasu.
wo is used because ireru is transitive verb.
kudamono ga haitte imasu.
ga is used because hairu is intransitive verb.

however this question gives another answer which really confused me...
Question 1)‚°‚ñ‚©‚ñ‚É@‚¤‚‚­‚µ‚¢@‚Í‚Èi@@j@‚©‚´‚Á‚Ä‚ ‚è‚Ü‚µ‚½B
1)‚ª 2)‚ð 3)‚Í 4)‚É
answer: 1 (why not 2 since kazaru is a transitive verb)
by Libby rate this post as useful

An attempt again 2004/11/20 20:43
Genkan ni utsukushii hana ga kazatte arimasu/arimashita. (There are/were beautiful flowers placed as decoration at the entrance.) = The focus would be more on the fact that there are/were flowers there, describing the scene.

Genkan ni utsukushii hana wo kazatte arimasu/arimashita. (Someone has/I have placed beautiful flowers at the entrance.) = The focus would be more on the ACT of decorating... which you would not really say.

You could say: Genkan ni hana wo kazatte okimashita. (I have placed flowers at the entrance) ... as if in expectation of a guest.

Thanks 2004/11/21 00:01
That clears my doubts
by Libby rate this post as useful

•¶ŽšBŒêœb@‚Ì@–â‘è 2004/11/21 18:14
I am happy to say that I have finished all the grammar and reading comprehension exercises of the JLPT 4 past questions. Now I am doing the vocabulary questions and I don't understand the meaning of this one.

(‰w)‚Ì@i“Œ‚ª‚íj‚Í@i¬‚³‚¢j@i“Xj‚ª@‚½‚­‚³‚ñ@‚È‚ç‚ñ‚Å@‚É‚¬‚â‚©‚Å‚·B
I understand all the kanji which is being asked in the question, but I don't fully understand the sentence because I don't understand the "‚È‚ç‚ñ‚Å" part.
Please help.

re 2004/11/21 20:13
"‚È‚ç‚ñ‚Å" means "side by side" or "in a row"

There are many small shops in a row at the east of the station and it's lively.
by Hatch rate this post as useful

Thanks Hatch 2004/11/21 20:31
Thanks, Hatch. I see now that narande comes from narabu. It's often difficult to guess the root verbs...need more practice.
Here is another question which (though I understand the answer) do not understand the question.
‚ ‚̂ЂƂÍ@‚«‚傤‚¾‚¢‚ª@‚ ‚è‚Ü‚¹‚ñB
A.@‚ ‚̂ЂƂÍ@‚è‚傤‚µ‚ñ‚ª@‚¢‚Ü‚¹‚ñB
B.@‚ ‚̂ЂƂÍ@‚¨‚­‚³‚ñ‚ª@‚¢‚Ü‚¹‚ñB
C.@‚ ‚̂ЂƂÍ@‚¢‚à‚¤‚Æ‚ª@‚¢‚Ü‚¹‚ñB
D.@‚ ‚̂ЂƂÍ@‚±‚Ç‚à‚ª@‚¢‚Ü‚¹‚ñB
Ans.@C.@‚ ‚̂ЂƂÍ@‚¢‚à‚¤‚Æ‚ª@‚¢‚Ü‚¹‚ñB
What I don't understand is: Why is the question statement "‚ ‚è‚Ü‚¹‚ñ" and not also "‚¢‚Ü‚¹‚ñ"? Could this be a typo?

... 2004/11/21 21:44
Wow, you must be really getting ready for the exam! :)

Interestingly, when talking about someone having a spouse, having children, having brothers/sisters, you can say "arimasu/aru" even though it is PERSON they are talking about.

arimasu/imasu 2004/11/22 10:07
Yes, AK I am all geared up for that exam. Unfortunately, I will also be taking a piano exam on Dec 1, just a few days before the JLPT and I am not so well prepared for that.
Back to the question, I guess you mean that for spouses, siblings etc. BOTH arimasu and imasu are acceptable, right?

To Mark 2004/11/25 16:42
- On "arimasu/imasu," yes, that's right.

- Good luck with both of the exams! :)

Negative form for state of being 2004/12/6 00:49
This was in one of the Level 4 questions today and I did not know how to form the negative for a verb in the "state of being".
I remember the sentence meant: The book still hasn't been returned to the library.
Would that be.....kaeshite arimasen?

1 more doubt 2004/12/6 09:00
thst is what i have answered.. how was ur exam mark, and the piano exam? my jlpt level 4 went pretty good.

i have 1 more doubt. there was 1 question which was:
raishuu ____ hitoga dare desuka.

Ans. 1. yasumi 2. yasumu 3. yasunde 4. yasunda.

would the answer be yasumu?
by BAISHAKHI rate this post as useful

... 2004/12/6 09:27
I hope both exams went well for you Mark! :)

Sono hon wa mada toshokan ni kaeshite arimasen.
(The book hasn't been returned to the library.)

For the other question, it would be, yes, "yasumu."
Who is it that would "take leave" next week?

Thanks 2004/12/6 10:44
Thank you for asking. The JLPT examination was a bit more difficult than I expected, especially the listening part, but passing it should not be a problem.
The piano exam, on the other hand, did not go well. I was too nervous to perform up to standard and it is very unlikely I will pass. A bit disappointed with myself by it was expected. I will try again next year. The result is important, but not as important as the learning process. The exam is over but learning continues.

JLPT level 3 model question paper 2007/11/4 22:12
Dear all,
i am preparing for the JLPT level 3 exam on coming december 2007. can anybody please send me or tell me where i can find them and mail me at vivek_ramaiah@yahoo.com ??
Please help ne....

Vivek
by vivek rate this post as useful

Page 5 of 5: Posts 81 - 98 of 98
prev
1 2 3 4 5

reply to this thread