Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 6 of 20: Posts 101 - 120 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

I'm still going 2011/3/23 09:46
Are you still planning on going: YES!

Original travel dates: 03/26 -04/05(arriving at Narita on 03/27)

Have you had to reschedule & to when: No.

What areas: Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara.

Concerns you have/had: My old concerns were:
»Being "in the way"
»Attractions being closed
»Not seeing the "real Tokyo"
»Blackouts
»Being Selfish in having a "vacation"
»United States based Family extremely worried.
»Radiation Exposure
»The "Unknown"

Benefits of still going:
»Cherry Blossoms
»Experience a different culture
»All original benefits are still there.
»Good Food
»Amazing people, Amazing experience
»Helping Economy and helping to give a sense of "normalcy" to Japanese people in the areas I visit
»Showing all those who watch the international sensationalist media they were wrong! :)

Other key decision factors:
»First Time to Japan
»Planned for 1 year
»Coming to see Cherry blossoms
»2 Amazing airline seats via large amount of frequent flyer points - arranged over a year ago
»In Reading blogs, talking to people who have family in Japan, and reviewing news information I have decided that it is safe for us to go and I would just die if I had to reschedule! I need a vacation and an "adventure". Plus, I"m hearing everything really is ok - especially since we are only doing touristy stuff in Tokyo for a few days and none of our stuff is closed. Radiation levels are normal. There is food on the shelves, restaurants are open, hotel is open, airport is open, trains are working, tours not cancelled, sights on our list still open. Although there may be reduced hours and some items off the shelf I don't see this as a reason to stop me. I am not going to be going to get bread or toilet paper in the stores as I"m on vacation and am eating out every meal and my hotel has toilet paper ;)

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: I will try to post on here and on tripadvisor (for those of you who are not cancelling) - but if you don't hear from me I am probably having an amazing time and forgot ;)

NOTE: I am open however (as you should be with all international trips - or anything you do really) to having to cancel if something seriously unsafe occurs before my visit. I hope that things continue to move forward :)
by SouthernBelle6384 rate this post as useful

currently in japan 2011/3/23 12:02
I posted this under another question but thought you guys might also be interested:

I arrived in Tokyo on the 20th and so far I have not had any problems. Narita Airport was a breeze to get through. It only took me 20 minutes from the time I landed until I was on a bus to Shibuya. The airport was noticeably emptier than the last time I visited and I did not see any of the hordes of people trying to flee the country that the news has been showing. The buses were completely on schedule and so far I have not had to wait more than 8 minutes for any train (most trains have come within 3 minutes). In Tokyo itself, you can see that people are trying to save power. Most of the buildings have fewer lights on so you don't get assaulted by a barrage of lights and noise when you walk around. Some stores close early but none of them were ones that I wanted to go to so that is not really a concern for me. Most of the scheduled blackouts have been canceled since all the energy saving things people are doing have made them unnecessary. If anything, some people are complaining since they were planning on blackouts that didn't happen. There are a fewer people in Tokyo but I would not have noticed if I didn't have previous experience to compare to. There have no aftershocks during the two days I was in Tokyo but I heard that they had a bigger one last night. Some convenience stores have some empty spots on their shelves but it was only where snacks and ramen would be (they all had a full aisle of bread products).
I have spent the last few days in Kyoto and Osaka and there is no sign of any damage here. Everything is running as normal. All of the shrines I have visited have been busy with lines to get into them. Restaurants are full and trains are busy.

My recommendation is that if your trip is planned for anywhere south of Tokyo then come because there really isn't anything that would adversely effect your trip. If you are planning on visiting Tokyo and you are nervous about the news stories then you might want to postpone until you feel better about your trip. As I mentioned earlier, there are some things in Tokyo that could effect your trip but I found them to be minor inconveniences if at all.
by j (guest) rate this post as useful

Confirmed going! 2011/3/23 13:38
Are you still planning on going:YES

Original travel dates:3/30/11 - 4/12/11

Have you had to reschedule & to when: no

What areas: Tokyo & Mt.Fuji

Concerns you have/had: Power outtage, attraction being closed, stores being closed, less transport

Benefits of still going:Everything! Japan itself is so wonderful. We'll hit cherry blossom time and things are opening back up again. My Tokyo friends give encouraging news everyday. I never saw even a fraction of Tokyo.

Other key decision factors: nothing else

If you're undecided, when will you decide: Already decided, everything booked and paid for!

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Yes if I can or remember. XD sometimes I have such a good time that I forget! wanderlustv2.blogspot.com
by Momel rate this post as useful

reroute with air china 2011/3/23 13:48
The annoying air china has told me that if i want to re route my flight from tokyo - melb to osaka - melb, that i still have to pay reroute fees as i still be going to Japan.
If i want to change it to anywhere else beside japan, if the ticket price is less, they won't give me the difference and i will have to pay extra if the tickets more expensive...
anyone having the same problem with me....

I still want to go to Japan, even rerouting it even though all my family has told me not too..
This is too stressing...
by novie (guest) rate this post as useful

Novie 2011/3/23 13:58
@Novie
Go to Tokyo, then take a Willer bus to Osaka. The Willer highway bus has nice deals. Like you could do 3 day model route. It's 10000yen. So you could go to Kyoto and hiroshima.. It's not 3 consecutive days so you can spend time at each place..
http://willerexpress.com/x/bus/dynamic/3/en/html/pc/buspass/course.php

by Momel rate this post as useful

Undecided (flying from Australia) 2011/3/23 14:02
Are you still planning on going: not sure

Original Travel Date: 2 Apr - 9 Apr

What areas: Osaka, Kyoto, Nara Kobe

Concerns you have: Radiation

My bf and I have been planning this for so long. But my family is so worried, they will be very upset if I still go. People said radiation can cause cancer and have malformed baby, made me feel so scared.

Will make decision later this week, but looks like the situation of the nuclear plants are not getting any better. Also have to call airline to check when is the deadline to cancel the ticket and get the refund if I decide not to go.
by Ling (guest) rate this post as useful

Nothing to worry about... 2011/3/23 14:19
I live in Yokohama. I was here during the first big quake. I have to say, life goes on as normal. I never lost electricity, nor do I fear for my health from the radiation. So many people are following the media, which is nothing but fear mongering! The radiation levels are w/in normal limits in both Tokyo and Yokohama, so there is nothing to fear. If you are heading west, then by all means, come to Japan! The only areas I would stay away from would be northern Japan and Fukushima area (obviously). The rest of Japan is fine. Don't let this spoil your vacation.......come to Japan. Enjoy the beautiful cherry blossoms that will soon be in full bloom! The weather should be getting warmer in the next week or two. I would not say this if I truly felt it was unsafe. My government has offered to fly me out of the country, all expenses paid. I chose not to go because I love Japan and there is no other place I would rather be. If I felt my health was in jeopardy from the radiation, then I would have left already.
by GOA (guest) rate this post as useful

Hi Everyone! 2011/3/23 14:36
This is my first post on this website as I'll be heading up to Japan for my first, solo, international vacation!
Are you still planning on going: Yes
Original travel dates: 5/2-5/10
Have you had to reschedule & to when: sorta
What areas:I was contemplating on going to Hokkaido but it seems with the current situation and the Golden Week period hiking up prices, I'll probably just end up staying in Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: Radiation (although I understand it's very hyped even though the radiation in food kind of concerns me), Not knowing much about the Japanese language and getting lost.
Benefits of still going:Going for a long, overdue vacation after graduating from college. Having a great time! Food (although I previously mentioned that it's somewhat of a concern to me)! Going to a Puro Yakyuu (Japanese Professional baseball) game, Meeting people
Other key decision factors:Need a real exciting journey and experience
If you're undecided, when will you decide: N/A
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Asakusa, Tokyo
by rsxguy04 rate this post as useful

Most Likely Yes 2011/3/23 18:38

Original travel dates: 5/6-5/20

Have you had to reschedule & to when: No

What areas:
Flying in via Centrair in Nagoya
Nagoya/Hamamatsu (1d/1n)
Takayama (1d/1n)
day-trip to Shirakawago
Kanazawa (2d/2n)
Tokyo (3d/2n)
Osaka (1d/1n)
Nagoya (2d/2n)
Kyoto/Nara/Uji/Osaka (5d/4n)
Flying out of KIX in Osaka

Concerns you have/had: Aftershocks, radiation. Family/friends/coworkers here are deadset against me going, all thanks to our very reliable American media. That adds to the stress.

Benefits of still going: See beautiful sceneries and sites. Long overdue vacation. I may have thought it would be disrespectful to come for pleasure when the country is grieving. But I also thought that giving up the vacation would mean giving up on Japan and letting the media get to me. A part of me want to prove to the media that they are wrong.

Other key decision factors: It's not really the airline ticket nor the hotel that were holding me back from canceling, but the concert tickets. I'm mainly going for concerts, thus the large area planned to cover. Almost all of my tickets are bought, and it was a torture getting them considering I'm overseas. The Japanese have a difficult way of ticketing (from a foreigner's point of view), and it was stressful getting them (Fanclub presales, rounds of presales, general sales, selling out, auctions, etc.). Other people are involved to making it happen and are looking forward to watch it together. I can't let them down when they say it's okay to come over. I considered these dates pretty lucky since I don't have to move from one end of the country to the other for the shows. It gives me time to do some sight-seeing in places I really want to see. Plus I don't know when these bands would have tours that coincide with one another.

If you're undecided, when will you decide: Mid-april

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Before my flight and when I'm there.
by luthien013 rate this post as useful

Yes, still going 2011/3/23 18:54
I'm still going as of now. From 4th-21st April. Even though the Australia government is saying not to travel to Tokyo, i'm still going there as i trust my friends (Tokyo/Yokohama) more than the what the government is saying xD

Guys, quick question. Is Shin-Aomori eki operating to visit up north such as Hakodate, Sapporo etc?? I'm using Flight Air pass (JAL) to get to Aomori since Tohoku shinkansen isn't operating all the way from Tokyo. Thanks in advance.
by SSLM26 rate this post as useful

YES 2011/3/23 19:01
Are you still planning on going: YES
Original travel dates: 28/3 - 8/4
Have you had to reschedule & to when: no still the same. although not spending 1st three nights in Tokyo, going straight to Osaka. We originally weren't going to go there.
What areas: Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima/Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: Experiencing a earthquake in Japan
Benefits of still going: To visit Japan, can't reschedule due to work.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: yes if people are interested.
by Emily (guest) rate this post as useful

update :( 2011/3/25 11:28
Are you still planning on going: no

Original travel dates: 5th april to 22 april

Have you had to reschedule & to when: i didnt wanna reschedule due to i only had one free chance to do it and flightcompany still wont fly to tokyo and i didnt wanna go to japan and miss out on tokyo

What areas: Tokyo some days, 10 days kyoto, then a lil tookyo and home

Concerns you have/had: mainly flight not going to tokyo and lack of toilet paper etc, and the electricity, wasnt sure how atms machines would work and so on

Benefits of still going: those benefits i saw will be there next year at this time too
only benefit id see for going right now would be to help tourism but then i think its best to focus on western japan and we didnt wanna exclude tokyo

Other key decision factors: insurence dont cover japan right now, we didnt want our only trip to japan to be like this
and i got health problems the last weeks which made it even more unsure and probably was the thing that pretty much decided we couldnt go

If you're undecided, when will you decide: its already cancelled and i got all refunds
(flightcompany simply called ME and asked the other day so i had a sec to decide but we were like 99 % sure to cancel the days before...i was just postponing it a lil bit more...)

Where will you be updating us of your time, i wont since i cancelled
by kitty (guest) rate this post as useful

Yep. 2011/3/25 12:39
Are you still planning on going: yes
Original travel dates: 4/6-4/27
Have you had to reschedule & to when: no
What areas: Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Okinawa
Concerns you have/had: I was afraid of the nuclear fallout, but not anymore.
Benefits of still going: Benefits of going as opposed to not going? Well, I get to go to Japan.
Other key decision factors: I figure the radiation is negligible in the areas I'm going to, and I don't think I'll have any problems even in Tokyo.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: n/a
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: If I remember to, here.
by AkariK6 rate this post as useful

yes! 2011/3/25 21:58
Are you still planning on going: Yes!
Original travel dates:4/21-4/28
Have you had to reschedule & to when:-
What areas:Tokyo
Concerns you have/had:Radiation!
Benefits of still going:Everyting beautiful Japan has to offer!
Other key decision factors:-
If you're undecided, when will you decide:In 3 weeks
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:Here
by Lina (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes, I'm 2011/3/25 22:43
Original travel dates: March 28 - April 15

What areas: Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto, Hiroshima,Kanazawa,Nagano.

Concerns you have/had: Blackouts/Family/friends(some even says I'm crazy and stupid!!!), I'm less worried about the radiation. If it happends, it happends!!

Benefits of still going: Cherry blossom(I've been wanting to see), seeing friend who lives in Tokyo.

Other key decision factors: Nothing really.

If you're undecided, when will you decide: N/A

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Here if I can, but will daily update on Facebook for sure(not that I'm addticted to it but just to inform friends and family of my whereabouts).
by PR Ditton rate this post as useful

heck yea still going! 2011/3/26 02:50
Original travel dates: 3/30 - 4/9
What areas: Osaka-Kyoto-Hakone-Hiroshima-Tokyo
Concerns you have/had:Transportation
Benefits of still going:I get to fulfill 3 things on my bucket list.
Other key decision factors: read blogs and watched youtube videos of people who live in Tokyo and insist that life is back to normal.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: NA
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Sure. most likely when I get back since we wont be bringing our laptops.
by eyps39414 (guest) rate this post as useful

Indeed! 2011/3/26 04:10
Are you still planning on going: Yes!
Original travel dates:04/03-04/26
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Not at all!
What areas:Tokyo; Kyoto; Osaka; Takayama and Hakone
Concerns you have/had: Power supply and radiation concerns..thru this site, not any more!
Benefits of still going: Japan is all the benefit and onsen of course.
Other key decision factors: Blossom and unwilling to postpone my trip to Japan.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Not a problem anymore
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: in this site, and facebook.
by Mactec rate this post as useful

Will go if insurance holds 2011/3/26 05:54
We have a book planned and very much anticipated for 18th-25th April. Our hearts goup and down with the media reports (relying on NHK World which seems sound http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/

Yes we are concerned about radiation but not so concerned we would cancel this trip. HOWEVER we are travelling with our son, who has some serious food allergies. So we have some serious insurance. This should cover us if we have to cancel and it won't cover us at all if we decide to travel against British Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice. Which is currently holding as advice against all but essential travel.

So, hoping that there is enough time between now and the trip for the FCO to change its mind. We simply cannot take the risk on travelling uninsured if they don't.
by Chris and family (guest) rate this post as useful

To Chris and family 2011/3/26 06:16
Chris, Have you spoken to your insurer?

We thought we woulnd't be cover if we did go against the UK FCO's advice, but having talked to our insurer they assured us that we would still be covered for emergency medical and lost lugggage, which is fine for us.
by PR Ditton rate this post as useful

Speaking to insurers 2011/3/26 06:48
PR, we had to twist their arms on Saturday when we checked that we were covered if we paid the final installment on the accommodation (not a hotel so will be lost if we can't go). That could have been the operator we spoke to - who seemed to not grasp that we wanted to travel, we expected to travel, etc. I'll go back and try again. Meanwhile our answers to the questions. Sorry I missed these before:

Original travel dates: 18/4 -25/4
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Not yet and would cancel rather than reschedule I expect. Visiting neice who has an infant and if this does not settle will probably relocate.
What areas: Tokyo - very central
Concerns you have/had: Insurance not being valid, especially with regard to son. I don't think that Tokyo will be quite as full on as usual. Although that might be a good thing for me personally.
Benefits of still going: For us - see the Ghibli Museum (which appears to be open), the blossom (if still looking good) and shop and stare around Akiba. For Tokyo: some tourists spending money and appreciating their city when it should be full of tourists spending money. Hopefully that will lift rather than depress spirits.
Other key decision factors: Neice not returning to Tokyo before our visit (although that would be a disappointment rather than a reason to cancel at this stage).
If you're undecided, when will you decide: We are really hoping for FCO to lift their advice by early April (sooner the better). Not only will this mean we can travel but it will means that things are settled. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be connected to Japan and waiting like this for some sort of good news. Or at least a definite view on what is going to happen next.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: I'll let you know if things change, For now we expect to go. Its still a while yet.

by Chris and family (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 6 of 20: Posts 101 - 120 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

reply to this thread