Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 7 of 15: Posts 121 - 140 of 288
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
next

Michelle 2011/3/16 08:22
On their Japanese site are all their updates. They are closed until at least Friday the 18th and they say to keep an eye on their news on their site for any more info. Sorry ! They also were opening a new Ride called THE BEAST, so that will be postponed till they open. Remind me and I'll look again after Friday.
by Momel rate this post as useful

Cancelled Tokyo, considering Osaka/Kyoto 2011/3/16 08:58

I had booked to fly to Tokyo March 22nd and take the train up to Hokkaido. Since the disaster, seemed unlikely I could get to Hokkaido via train, so was going to make use of the JR pass by going to Osaka and Kyoto.

Now with the rolling blackouts and the worsening nuclear situation. From what I've read there are/could be problems travelling to and out of Tokyo, this being my biggest concern really.

So for now, I've cancelled my flight to Tokyo and now just considering flying straight to Osaka and spending my time there Kyoto and Tottori. My travel buddy now though would rather go elsewhere.:(

I suppose it wont be a big problem to book last minute. As with most of us, are seeing how each day turns out.

I think I'm on Plan E now.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

May trips. 2011/3/16 09:18
My boyfriend and I are booked to go in May. 5 days in Tokyo, 5 days in Kyoto and a couple left open for day trips.

We were initially optimistic that we'd still be able to go, but as of today (as much as it pains me) we are thinking of cancelling our trip.
It's a combination of the stability of the country, and also whether or not we'd be welcome.
I'd still love to go and help the economy, but wouldn't want to be in the way.
At a total loss of what to do.

We're really feeling for the people of Japan right now, and all we can hope is that things improve for them very soon!
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Guest going in May 2011/3/16 09:29
It might benefit you to wait a month before making a decision. You don't want to make a decision, then feel bad if you find you didn't have to cancel.

A friend of mine who is a New Yorker said that after 9/11 one of the biggest blows was the hit that tourism took.

You never know, they may need the tourists now more than ever!

Just stay farther south than Tokyo if you have to!

Although, for me that seems impossible. Everything we want to do seems to be in Tokyo: Akihabara, Puroland, Ghibli Museum, Ueno Park/Zoo.

However, there will always be more opportunities to go if you do need to cancel! I wish you the best of luck.

I wonder if there are any more-updated posts from those living in Japan/Tokyo right now.
by OhhSoAlyse rate this post as useful

Cancelled my trip 2011/3/16 09:57
My friend and I have been planning a trip for a good part of a year. We were planning the trip for this part of the year since it was cherry blossom season and it's always nice to visit Japan at that time.

We were departing San Francisco on 3/28 and arriving at Narita on 3/29. I was then flying to Osaka and my friend would be taking the train to Osaka.

For the first week, we were going to be in Western Japan (Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima, Kobe) and then for the 2nd week were going to be in the Kanto region and visit Mt. Fuji, Nikko, Tokyo, and Kamakura.

After the latest news, my heart wasn't on the trip anymore. Given all the same sober news, it just didn't feel right to be in Japan trying to have fun while others were in down spirits because of the earthquake, tsunami, and now nuclear situation.

I love visiting Japan and always enjoy my time whenever I'm there. I wish I can go, but now is not the right time. I pray and wish for the best for all in Japan and look forward to visiting again when things settle down.

So, now my focus now is cancelling hotels, JR passes, and tickets. So far the experience has been good, and was able to cancel everything with full refund. ANA has cancelled my ticket with full refund and with little questions asked.

For those in the same boat as us, if you decide to go, please take care of yourselves. If you decide to cancel, there's always better time to visit Japan - now isn't the right time. Hope your experiences with cancelling reservations are not too troublesome.
by nrt007jp rate this post as useful

Alysse 2011/3/16 10:12
Alysse, just to let you know, by their website, UENO ZOO is OPEN right now. They will not do certain activities for this week ( till the 18th). Hippos, petting zoo & feeding goats, and guided tours. Which just to let you know is a small part. There are tons of animals, and a big exhibit of 'night animals' that require little to power their exhibits. The zoo is huge and have lots of outside animals as well. ^^

Alysse 2011/3/16 10:20
Hey Alysse,
I looked back on your travel times? You said you are going to be there in April2nd? that's still time for the attractions you want to see to be able to open.
Ghibli said they are making attempt to be opend March 21st. Puroland, is trying to open by March 18th! And Ueno Zoo is open already, just a few activities are unable to be done. Unsure what will happen with Akihabara since it's an area and not an attraction. All those attraction places also said that they didn't suffer actual quake damage and are mainly closed for the power conservation.

So keep a bit of hope yet? I am. Also Cherry blossoms are natural and dont require any nuclear power :)

Cancellation fee 2011/3/16 10:28
My original trip to Japan was Mar.16 then I had cancelled my trip. I can have full refund for air ticket but have to pay cancellation fee for hotel to Japanican has been charge 50% of total cost and another 25% cancellation fee from Agoda. It seem not fair but it's on their policy, right?
by Pui22 rate this post as useful

No cancellationf fee Rakuten 2011/3/16 10:41
I had my room booked through Rakuten and no cancellation fee charged for my hotel. I cancelled 1 day in advance - not much time since the disaster. Not sure Rakuten is in English, but perhaps japanican need to get with it in these emergency situations and not charge cancellations charge.
by rinshin rate this post as useful

My suggestion 2011/3/16 11:27
I am a Japanese live in Aichi.
Though my area not affected by the earthquake, my advise to you is to change your plan. Aftershocks through Japan will continue for about a month. Even though it is not big one like the one we experienced just a few years ago, I don't think you can fully enjoy the trip. Beside we are now facing unpredictable problems such as the luck of food, outage blackouts, etc etc. If you want to trip safe, change your plan this time.
by flower27 rate this post as useful

It is not the best time to visit Japan 2011/3/16 11:34
Again,

It is not the best time for travellers to visit Japan for 100% sure.
by flower27 rate this post as useful

Have you cancelled the trip to Japan? 2011/3/16 11:47
hi Uji, I value your opinion about this matter, could you please bring us up to date with the latest development in Japan. Thank you for your kindness, our prayer and thoughts are with the Japanese, may everything get better soon, stay safe n stay well..
by arli (guest) rate this post as useful

Cancelled 2011/3/16 12:01
With less than 3 weeks to go with our flight plans to Tokyo, my travel buddy have decided to reschedule our trip for a more convenient time.

We have spoken with our friends from the region, and their advice was to come when things have settled. Their updates are of grief and uncertainty with the nuclear issue. Residents within a 30 mile radius are advised to remain indoors. The big cities are conserving electricity and resources, the shelves of the convenience stores are indeed empty.

We wouldn't feel right enjoying ourselves, spending our dollars like the tourists we are. Instead we have decided to donate a portion of our travel funds to the relief effort. When things have stabilized, we will rebook our plans. Japan will always be there waiting for us. Right now we may be an added burden on their limited resources.
by Toki (guest) rate this post as useful

Cancelled 2011/3/16 12:02
I have to call American Airlines tomorrow, but myself, friend, & boyfriend decided not to cancel all plans and to attempt next year.

We made this decision about 3 hours ago and I have canceled almost all hotels and have train passes ready to be mailed back to agent. Now with the recent announcement of suspended operations and evacuation of Fukushima Daiichi plant & several leaks...I feel at ease at the same time saddened I cannot support tourism to Japan.

I hope all who are going have a great time and send my prayers out to all families affected at this time.
by lostdecoy rate this post as useful

Cancelled my trip 2011/3/16 12:11
I was supposed to visit Tokyo, Hakone & Kyoto from 22 March to 2nd April. I've cancelled my trip for the following reasons:
- Tokyo transport operating at reduced frequency and the trains are jammed with regular Tokyo residents and workers. (various 1st hand reports and photo blogs)
- Food and petrol rationing (have been informed by friends in Japan of this)
- Shops and restaurants have reduced operating hours. (Friends/Tokyo blogs & forums)
- Train to Hakone not operating for now (confirmed by Hakone Ryokan)
- Earthquakes and aftershocks still happening as late as last night. My friend in Tokyo said this time the earthquake was "not the same as before" and was alarmed.
- Travel insurance purchased earlier will not cover me if I choose to go as my country has issued a travel advisory.

I love visiting Japan and want to support them with tourism dollars, but I think it is prudent to wait and go later. For selfish reasons, I also want to have a holiday without underlying worries. Luckily for me, I managed to get full refunds from my accommodation, flight, and JR Railpass (less admin fee).
by Casey (guest) rate this post as useful

How about me? :( 2011/3/16 12:15
I'm supposed to go on an exchange in Akita at the end of this month. Though they say Akita was not as badly affected aside from electricity and gas cut offs.
by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

Well I was never going to Toyko 2011/3/16 12:21
Well I wasnt going to Toyko so no reason to cancel my trip!

But they need the support, and not feel like aliens or that their country isnt as good anymore. Tokyo is the main city yes, but it is not the only main attraction.

I just think people should reconsider their plan, not cancel altogether. Really think if you could go anywhere else...

I am for example going to Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto and a day trip to Hiroshima.

Down there they are still running as usual (My Uncle lives there)

And he wouldnt let us come if there was danger down there...

You are missing out on the time of your life. I wouldnt give it up for anything!
by TaytheAussie rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/16 12:26
So far my hubby and I are still planning on going on our trip! Not sure exactly how long we will be staying in Tokyo now (was suposed to be 9 days then heading to Kyoto). But if we feel we must move south early, that's what we'll do. Nothing will stop us going!!!!
by Imperfect rate this post as useful

Imperfect 2011/3/16 12:27
GOOD :D Japan will be amazing.

No use not going!
by TaytheAussie rate this post as useful

changing plan 2011/3/16 12:32
Hi all,
Thanks for your post.
I hv been reading it and it seems like a good idea to postpone the trip.
However I am going with AirAsia, and they only allowed to change until October with some fee.
So not considerable, they are.
If not, they will not return back the fee, so seems like I dont have any choice.
Still thinking of changing to when...any idea?
by nsyu (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 7 of 15: Posts 121 - 140 of 288
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
next

reply to this thread