Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 7 of 20: Posts 121 - 140 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
next

Tohoku-->Hokkaido 2011/3/26 08:26
Are you still planning on going:Yes!
Original travel dates: 09/05-23/05
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Yes. We have to reschedule, because we can't go to Tohoku (and for some other reasons). New date: 04/07-20/07
What areas: Tokyo (Yokohama, Nagano, Nagoya, Nikko), Hokkaido (Sapporo, Hakodate, Shikotsu-Toya), Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nara

We'll running all the time, but we want to see as much as it's possible.
by Viktor (guest) rate this post as useful

dutch government travel advise 2011/3/26 09:08
The dutch government has been steadily downgrading the travelwarning for Japan. Up to yesterday it still said all non-essential travel to the Kanto region (inlcluding Tokyo) and the northeastern provinces should be avoided.

They have now revised it to only avoid non-essential travel to the northeastern provinces, so Tokyo is cleared to go to as well.

This clears the last possible snag for my travel plans, as now there is no excuse for my insurance not to cover (and they confirmed they will). Japan here I come! :-)
by jochembakker rate this post as useful

Still going? YEEESSSS 2011/3/26 10:33
Are you still planning on going: yes
Original travel dates: 4/21-5/02
Have you had to reschedule & to when:no
What areas: Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: my main issue is with the nuclear plant. And I have a family member everyday telling me how worried they will be if I go.
Benefits of still going: I have never traveled outside the country really I have never been off the east coast I'm looking forward to the experience
Other key decision factors: if I don't go now I won't be able to go until next year because of job and school schedule.
If you're undecided, when will you decide:
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: I will update and check back on a daily basis. And if anyone will be in Japan during my travel time we might can hang out.
by Faythe104 (guest) rate this post as useful

Australian government advise 2011/3/26 12:57
hi guys
how about au government?? have they lowered the advise caution yet?? i am thinking of reschedule my 23march tokyo trip to 27april.

Are there any chance australia stop me going to japan, or stop me coming back to australia??
by Terry (guest) rate this post as useful

@Terry 2011/3/26 16:04
Australian travel warnings are through DFAT website:
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Japan

At this stage Tokyo and surrounds are included in 'Do Not Travel' warnings so any travel in these regions means insurance will not cover you. Though they do not prohibit you from entering the areas at your own risk if you still wish to. It is updated regularly, but I doubt it will improve very soon, it has been the same for about a week or so already.

There is no restriction for people entering Aust from Japan. If you are concerned of radiation exposure it's advised you see your GP, so no quarantines or anything like that in place for travellers returning.
by Hutch (guest) rate this post as useful

travel and insurance 2011/3/26 16:21
I also heard on tele on thursday night that if you travel against the DFAT warning then you won't be covered by insurance. So I phoned my insurer (Covermore) and they said this was definitely not the case. The DFAT warning is advisory only. Travel is still covered by insurance.
by roogirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Maybe varies with Insurance? 2011/3/26 17:31
I am going through Zurich insurance, and also Travel Insurance Direct (ie. Mondial) and both have ascertained that if you choose to venture into a 'Do Not Travel' region it is at your own risk. YOU WILL NOT BE COVERED. Anyone who wanted to go sightseeing in Fukushima would not have any travel insurance coverage for obvious reasons, that is the purpose of DFAT warnings.

Currently Japan as a country does fall under 'High degree of caution' which is two steps away from 'Do Not Travel', but I have been advised that travelling in Osaka/West areas etc is OK and thus travel insurance will apply as normal.

As always ask your Insurance company.

Definitely going 2011/3/27 08:19
Are you still planning on going: At this stage - Yes
Original travel dates: 28 March - 01 April
Have you had to reschedule & to when: No
What areas:Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe
Concerns you have/had: None
Benefits of still going: Blood donations and some charity work and at same time its Japan which is a wonderful country and wonderful people.
Other key decision factors: None
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Its decided..will be touchdown in Narita ard 8;45 JPN time on the 29th March 2011.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: absolutely!
by bard (guest) rate this post as useful

final decision 2011/3/27 11:43
from my last post, I've made my final decision, a sad one

Are you still planning on going: No :(

Original travel dates: 31st March-9th April

Have you had to reschedule & to when: Not yet, maybe in late October

What areas: Tokyo, Yokohama, Kamakura, Nikko

Concerns you have/had: Aftershocks, lack of food, I am gonna stay with my friend in Ikebukuro so if things are still not okay I wouldn't want to be a burden for my friend and her family...... after discussed with my friend we decided that it's not a good time to visit because of the blackout. It will be inconvenient for her family to take care of me and also my friend insist that since it's my first trip to Japan she wants me to see best of it.

Benefits of still going: Hanami of course!

Other key decision factors: time off work

If you're undecided, when will you decide: 29th March ....just decided to cancel today (27th March)

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Yes, if I changed my mind again I'll update all the attraction spots I've visited
by callmepebbles rate this post as useful

well done! 2011/3/27 12:18
I really must congratulate the media for doing such an awesome job of freaking out my family.
Even though I had planned on re-scheduling to fly both in and out of Fukuoka, visit mainly Kyushu & Okinawa & not go further north than Kobe, they still felt that it was not safe for me to go anywhere in Japan.
At the risk of causing unnecessary stress on my elderly parents, and in an unbelievable amount of personal sadness I have postponed my trip until December ;_;
Thanks to Uji & co for keeping it all real here on Japan Guide :)
by lynda (guest) rate this post as useful

I'm going! 2011/3/27 12:33
My trip is planned for April 18-26 split between Tokyo and Osaka. Not to downplay the seriousness of the disaster any, but Japan's gotta bring out Gojira stomping around Tokyo before I'll reconsider my zeal for traveling to Japan. Being from California, I'm not especially concerned about earthquake aftershocks. I know what a 5-7 quake feels like. No big deal. Watch for falling objects is about it. Another 9 or 8 sooooo unlikely.

Also on a serious note, I traveled last summer all over Fukushima and even to areas very near to the nuclear plant and I know how far that is from Tokyo and all the mountains in between. I'm watching the radiation reports for Tokyo and I'm not concerned. Trains are running, in addition to earthquakes, rolling blackouts are also a California favorite so no sweat there, bringing my LED headlamp just in case.

I'm heartbroken over what's happened to all of my friends who hosted me in Fukushima, they're safe but life is really tough on them right now. I'm going to see what I can have shipped up north from Tokyo and Osaka when I'm there if shortages are still in effect. But I feel keeping my travel plans will only help to encourage others to go and give the economy a mini-boost as best as I can (manga, otaku toys, FOOD, more manga). I love Japan and want to go give them a big hug from America!
by europanya rate this post as useful

Travel In Direct? 2011/3/27 15:35
Hutch - I received an email from TID saying I have NO COVER if I go to a COUNTRY that has a Do Not Travel - not a region???

Please be advised that if the government warning is advising you not to travel to a country, you will not be covered for any expenses incurred whilst you are in that country. - Travel Insurance Direct 27/4/11
(my email to them asked about situation in Tokyo, Japan)

"I am going through Zurich insurance, and also Travel Insurance Direct (ie. Mondial) and both have ascertained that if you choose to venture into a 'Do Not Travel' region it is at your own risk. YOU WILL NOT BE COVERED." - Hutch

Deb
by DebrobAdelaide rate this post as useful

@Deb 2011/3/27 17:00
You are correct if the response you got back is:

"Please be advised that if the government warning is advising you not to travel to a country, you will not be covered for any expenses incurred whilst you are in that country. - Travel Insurance Direct 27/4/11
(my email to them asked about situation in Tokyo, Japan)"

BUT DFAT has NOT (at this stage.. fingers crossed) placed a blanket 'Do Not Travel' on all of Japan as a Country. Japan overall is classed as 'Exercise High Degree of Caution'. It is only Tokyo, surrounding areas and Honshu north of Tokyo that are 'Do Not Travel'.

For insurance purposes you are permitted to travel in Japan so long as you are not near Tokyo and the northern part of Honshu. In your case if you are going to Tokyo you WOULD NOT be covered unless the warning is downgraded before you leave.

I have phoned Mondial and they have said that in my case Osaka is safe you are not near Tokyo so you will have your normal insurance cover (I am only travelling to West Japan Osaka/Fukuoka and surrounds).

It is relevant where you plan on travelling within Japan. Best analogy is like our recent terrible floods in QLD. If country XYZ said QLD is a 'Do Not Travel' region, there is no reasonable excuse for insurance not covering you if you change your plans to visit only Tassie. Tasmania is not affected by anything happening in QLD. Just because a portion of Australia has 'Do Not Travel' doesn't mean travel to other areas won't be covered.

Unfortunately it sounds like you are going to Tokyo so you would not be covered. But if you changed your travel plans to avoid that area entirely and went only to say Okinawa (Japan's equivalent of Tassie!!) then Mondial would cover you for travel to this lovely little island of Japan.

Best of Luck!

not going... 2011/3/27 22:17
After many doubts, I decided not to leave.

Are you still planning on going: no
Original travel dates: 13/04 - 20/04
What areas: Kyoto
Concerns you have / had: Insurance not being valid, huge nuclear disaster could still happen...
Benefits of still going: contributing in the form of tourism, sakura, nice plans I've made ​​...
Other key decision factors: I can go next year, I do not lose money if I don't go now, my family would rather not see me leave before Fukushima is stabelized and I don't want to worry about what is happening in Fukushima while I try to enjoy Kyoto.

New plans: maybe in the fall or next spring
by Maya (guest) rate this post as useful

yes 2011/3/27 22:39
Are you still planning on going: yes
Original travel dates: april 1-14
Have you had to reschedule & to when: no
What areas: osaka, kyoto, nara, kobe and tokyo
Concerns you have/had: radiation but then if your hotel isn't called fukushima daiichi nuclear plant then there's no reason for you not to go.
Benefits of still going: cherry blossoms and to be able to help keep west japan stronger for them to help the damaged northeastern part.
Other key decision factors:
If you're undecided, when will you decide: decided :)
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:
by jendearest rate this post as useful

Sad to say "No' 2011/3/27 23:24
Are you still planning on going: No
Original travel dates: 10/04 - 18/04
What areas: Kyoto
Concerns you have / had: Radiation in nuclear disaster still uncertain...
Benefits of still going: enjoy cold weather, cherry blossom and meet nice people in Japan.
Other key decision factors: I don't think we can enjoy the trip while many people still suffer from disaster.

New plans: Next spring
by Joyce Ang (guest) rate this post as useful

27th March 2011/3/28 02:45
Arrived in Tokyo early Sunday at Narita, and although iv never been to Tokyo before so i cant compare, it seems fine.
Only had to wait around 5 minutes to get a train from Narita which took about a hour to get to Ueno.
I am staying in Central Tokyo so the blackouts haven't effected myself yet, but saying that everything seems completely normal.

A few ticket gates are closed to conserve power and thats literally the extent of change that i can see.
Havn had to wait more than 4minutes for a subway, also haven't had any issue getting water from any shops or vending machines, the Shrines that i have visited were all open although i haven't tried any museums yet.

Visited Yoyogi park and it was rammed with people dancing and singing, so from that i wouldn't presume everyone is 'down' atm.

It may of been different because it was a Sunday, but from what i have seen i would defiantly not consider Channing any plans in visiting Tokyo
by finnfb rate this post as useful

Yes, still going! 2011/3/28 09:54
Are you still planning on going: YES!
Original travel dates: 23 April to 2 May
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Maybe not going to Tokyo for the final two nights but still thinking about it...
What areas: Going to Osaka, Kyoto, Takayama and Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: mostly travel disruptions, also a bit worried about more quakes and marginally radiations (was living in South East France when Tchernobyl happened and radiations we had at that time exceeded largely the ones currently in the affected region)
Benefits of still going: this is our first time in Japan and we've been waiting for this trip for so long now! We also see our visit as a way to contribute to the Japanese economy and show solidarity to the Japanese people.
Other key decision factors: a bit weary of the sensationalism of European medias, particularly French ones and very dubious regarding their alarming reports.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: We will go unless the situation goes really bad!
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: right before the trip.
by Emma (guest) rate this post as useful

:( 2011/3/28 11:32
same like a few guys here, i have decided to cancel my trip to Tokyo. it's not because of aftershock nor the radiation because i believe it does not do much harm to the health if it's for a short period of visit.

the only reason why i cancel my trip is due to the power saving and Disneyland will be closed until dont know when, the neon light in Tokyo will also be down, train travelling beyond tokyo are disrupted, so i worry that i might missed a few train.

it was a hard decision but i am tired of reading and reading over the news and waiting for hope that everything will turn normal in the shortest time possible, but it seems unlikely.

will be planning the trip for next year. will be back for the hanami season again!
by kooks rate this post as useful

Cancelled trip in end may 2011/3/28 12:13
Cancelled though have planned to travel in late May. Reasons :

1. Travelling with kids ..so food and water is a great consideration.

2. Most attractions are closed especially Tokyo Disneyland/Sea.

3. Radiation nad aftershocks tremors are still a reality there... Safety comes first and we will subject to risks which are very obvious ...

4. Our family members here will be worried throughout our stay...It will be selfish to do so.
by Yoyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 7 of 20: Posts 121 - 140 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
next

reply to this thread