Daishoin Temple (大照院, Daishōin) was constructed in 1656 as a family temple of the Mori Clan, who governed from Hagi during the Edo Period (1603-1868). It belongs to the Rinzai school of Zen Buddhism and features a small Zen garden behind its large wooden main hall.
Daishoin's main attraction is the burial site of half of the Mori lords that is located in the woods behind the temple. The first and the even numbered daimyo (feudal lords) in the succession of the Mori Clan lords were buried here, while the odd numbered lords rest at Tokoji Temple. Hundreds of donated stone lanterns line the paths leading to the graves to produce a spiritual atmosphere.
Daishoin Temple stands south of the city center in a somewhat rural environment. Both the West Loop and East Loop of the Maru Bus stop at the Daishoin Iriguchi bus stop, from where it is a five minute walk to the temple. By bicycle, it is a 5-10 minute ride from Hagi Station.