Hagi (öő) is a former castle town off the major transport ways along the tranquil Sea of Japan coast in Yamaguchi Prefecture. It used to be the capital of the Mori Clan, one of the most powerful clans during the feudal age. Mori lords governed present Yamaguchi (then known as Choshu) for more than 250 years and played a central role in bringing about the Meiji Restoration in the second half of the 19th century.
Hagi is best known for its nicely preserved former castle town and its local Hagiyaki Pottery which ranks among Japan's finest. The town has been fortunate to have avoided major disasters since the Edo Period (1603-1867), thereby maintaining an appearance generally in accordance to town plans from centuries ago. Several beautiful old samurai and merchant residences survive and are open to public.