The Hakone Free Pass by Odakyu Railways is a discount pass for exploring Hakone. It provides unlimited use of Odakyu-affiliated buses, trains, boats, cablecars and ropeways in the Hakone area and discounted admission to selected tourist attractions on two or three consecutive days. Optionally, the pass also includes a discounted round trip from Tokyo's Shinjuku Station.
From Shinjuku Station|
(including round trip)
Purchased inside the free area|
(e.g. Odawara Station)
|Reduced rates (almost 75%) apply for children.|
The map below shows the trains, cablecars, ropeways, boats and major bus lines to be used within the free area of the Hakone Free Pass:
- The round trip is to be done by Odakyu Railways from Tokyo to Odawara Station by local or express trains (not including the "Romance Car"). Odakyu's main station in Tokyo is Shinjuku Station, but the free pass can also be purchased for use from other Odakyu stations.
- A surcharge of 1090 yen (one way from Shinjuku) and seat reservations are required when using a "Romance Car" limited express train.
- Passes purchased inside the free area, e.g. at Odawara Station, do not cover Odakyu trains between Odawara and Shinjuku.
- Unlimited usage of the Hakone Tozan Railway (Odawara-Gora), the Souzan Cablecar and Hakone Ropeway between Gora to Togendai, the Hakone Sightseeing Boats on Lake Ashinoko, Hakone Tozan Buses and Odakyu buses within the free area and Numazu Tozan Tokai Buses between Mishima and Moto-Hakone.
- Discounted admission to selected attractions in the Hakone area.
- The free pass is valid on two or three consecutive days, respectively.
Points of Sale
The pass can be purchased at major railway stations and ticket counters along the Odakyu Railway Line and inside the free area, including Shinjuku Station in central Tokyo and Odawara Station, Hakone-Yumoto Station and Mishima Station inside the free area. Alternatively, the pass is sold by major travel agents inside Japan, and the 2-day pass can also be purchased online.
|Purchase the Hakone Free Pass|
If you do the classic round course by train, cablecar, ropeway, boat and bus, regular tickets would total about 6300 yen, i.e. you can save considerably by purchasing the free pass. However, if you only go, for example, from Shinjuku to Lake Ashinoko (Moto-Hakone) and back (about 4200 yen by regular tickets), the purchase of the free pass would not be justified.