Dejima (出島) was a man-made island in the port of Nagasaki, constructed in 1636 to segregate Portuguese residents from the Japanese population and control their missionary activities.
A few years later, the Portuguese were expelled from Japan, and the Dutch Trading Station, formerly located in Hirado, was moved to Dejima. The Dutch were restricted to Dejima during Japan's two centuries of isolation as the only remaining Westerners allowed in the country.
Today, Dejima is not an island anymore, as the surrounding area has been reclaimed in the 20th century. However, a number of Dejima's historical structures remain or have been reconstructed in the area, including various residences, warehouses, walls and gates. The ultimate goal is to convert Dejima back into an island by digging canals around all its four sides.
Take tram number 1 to the Dejima tram stop (5 minutes, 130 yen from Nagasaki Station) which is located right next to Dejima.
After 18:00, Dejima can be entered only via the Omotemonbashi footbridge