Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan 2009/10/9 15:04
Hello,

I'm looking to move to Japan permanently (Osaka specifically).I've visited Japan and dated a Japanese guy for 2 years so im decently accustomed to the culture and certain i want to live there! at least for a good while.

I am a 19 (nearly 20) year old girl and i was born in Europe but lived in Australia nearly my whole life. I'm in the process of finishing my University degree (B. of Science: Major/Minor in Psychology, and another Major in Archaeology and Ancient History)

I've been doing a lot of research and have come up with a lot of contradictory responses that i must admit im completely confused! i'm still young and i've never moved anywhere by myself so this is a big step for me and any help would be really appreciated!!

I don't know how to go about moving to Japan, I wouldn't mind being an ALT although i don't want to join programs such as JET or Nova etc, as i want this to be a permanent move and i'd prefer to teach in public schools.

I understand there's an over supply of teachers (but i dont think im really qualified for another job since my Japanese is not fluent and i dont have much experience in the workplace) but what would the best process be?

how much money would i need for starters? what kind of visa's would be the best option? is there any decent way of locating a job before actually moving there? (it would be pretty crap to move and then be unemployed)

this has been my dream for ages and i just want to know all the facts and be fully prepared before i make any rash decisions!! any input or suggestions is muchly appreciated!
by simi  

teaching in public schools 2009/10/9 15:44
I don't know how to go about moving to Japan, I wouldn't mind being an ALT although i don't want to join programs such as JET or Nova etc, as i want this to be a permanent move and i'd prefer to teach in public schools.

Do a search in the forums for similar threads about working directly for public schools for more info. Basically, there is little to no opportunity for someone to work at a public school without going through JET or a dispatch company. And don't immediately discount being a JET or a dispatch ALT as they are probably some of the easiest ways to come over to Japan on a longterm/permanent basis. They themselves are not permanent but will open up countless opportunities and relationships for the future. BTW, how is your Japanese?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

hmm 2009/10/9 16:23
my japanese is decent... i never took a proficiency test to tell you but ive been studying it for a few years, i went to japan on a language program.. its basically conversational level.. i can get by, have conversations etc.. but its nowhere near professional
by simi rate this post as useful

living 2009/10/9 16:50
Sorry, just realized you posted your language level in your original post. Anyway, speaking even a little Japanese will go a long way toward living successfully in Japan, so brush up on it while you can or maybe take some refresher courses.

You don't mention your nationality, but you may qualify for a working holiday visa which would be another option for getting your foot in the door. That would allow you to live in Japan for a year or so and build the contacts and/or job search without having to worry about the problem of not being able to get a job w/o a work visa and not being able to get a work visa w/o a job.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply 2009/10/9 18:38
my nationality? is it of importance? im half macedonian, half bosnian. lived in germany for 3 years, lived in australia for 15 years. lol

what citizenship? 2009/10/9 22:17
I think by nationality, yellowsmrf meant what country are you a citizen of? Because Australia has a working holiday agreement with Japan, which can be another way to work in japan. But not all countries have this agreement, so you will have to check which applies to you.
by shi. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply 2009/10/10 08:02
ohhh i have 3 citizenships.. australian, macedonian and bosnian haha =)
ill check out the working holiday visa then. thanks :)

reply to this thread