Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Medicine questions 2013/3/12 01:48
Hey
I have tried to translate some Swedish medicine brands into Japanese in case I would need to buy more supplies while in Japan. I am not sure if these are brands or just the main content of the medicine.

I post the list of the medicines below with the Swedish brand and content (within () ) and the Japanese translation and possible brands. I will be happy for any help since I want to be sure I get the right medicine if needed.

* Dimor/Imodium (Loperamid / Loperamide) - (ƒƒyƒ‰ƒ~ƒh)

* Omeprazol (Omeprazol / Omeprazole) - ƒ~ƒ‰ƒVƒbƒh MIRACID (ƒIƒƒvƒ‰ƒ][ƒ‹)

* Naproxen (Naproxen / Naproxene) - (ƒiƒvƒƒLƒZƒ“)

* Alvedon (Paracetamol / Paracetamole) - (ƒpƒ‰ƒZƒ^ƒ‚[ƒ‹)

* Minoxidil (Minoxidil) - (ƒ~ƒmƒLƒVƒWƒ‹)

* Clarityn/Loratadin (Loratadin / Loratadine) - ƒƒ‰ƒ^ƒWƒ“ / ƒNƒ‰ƒŠƒ`ƒ“ (ƒƒ‰ƒ^ƒWƒ“)

I heard that Claritin / Clarityn is possibly a prescription medicine in Japan so that would probably mean I cannot get ahold of it there I assume?

I also use some prescription drugs but I suppose I cannot get these in Japan anyway, explaining the symptoms etc, or perhaps if I have a prescription list from home.

by SweGuy (guest)  

Re: Medicine questions 2013/3/12 10:55
ƒƒyƒ‰ƒ~ƒh

ƒIƒƒvƒ‰ƒ][ƒ‹

ƒiƒvƒƒLƒZƒ“
ƒpƒ‰ƒZƒ^ƒ‚[ƒ‹

ƒ~ƒmƒLƒVƒWƒ‹

ƒƒ‰ƒ^ƒWƒ“ These are Japanese names of the main content of the medicines.
by sas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine questions 2013/3/12 12:13
Those are the chemical substances' names. I will list the substance (indications/uses): used or not in Japan, and the "product name" in quotation marks if available.

Loperamid (anti-diarrhea medicine): Yes, used in "Lopemin" (by Jansen), and in generic medicines including "Lopemic," "Claret"and other prescription drugs in Japan.

Omeprazol (against stomach ulcer and others): Yes, used in prescription drugs.

Naproxen (anti-inflammatory): Yes, used in prescription drugs.

Paracetamol (against pain and fever): I cannot find out for sure.

Minoxidil (hair growth): Yes, used in prescription drug in Japan.

Loratadin (anti allergy): Yes, used in prescription drug in Japan.

I don't think you can just go to a pharmacy and get the equivalent substance. For example, Clarityn containing Loratadin is a prescription drug in Japan, while over-the-counter in the US, for example.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine questions 2013/3/12 15:51
Alright. Thank you for the replies.

Seems there are a lot OTC medicines that are prescription in Japan. That could not pose any problem for me in customs if they see I am bringing loratadin or minoxidil even for personal use into Japan?

There are no "OTC versions" of these prescription medicines in Japan? In that case there are not, then I am unsure how much I can accually bring. For OTC medicine it is 2 month supply, while for prescription there is only 1 month supply. I dont want to risk they throwing stuff away at the customs. I already got a yakkan shoumei for some prescription medicines I use daily here.

Loperamid isnt a prescription drug in Japan I assume?

About the paracetamol by the way I think I heard there are different brands (or contents) equivalent to the paracetamol medicine, but I am not sure.
by SweGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine questions 2013/3/12 16:02
Sorry but all that I've listed are prescription medicines in Japan (except for Paracetamol).

For Paracetamol, the substance seem to be called also acetaminophen, so that's sold OTC.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine questions 2013/3/12 19:38
Thank you. Still I am unsure if it is then legal or not for me to bring in OTC medicines that are prescription in Japan... :O
by Sweguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine questions 2013/3/12 20:07
I know Minoxidil only.
You can buy at drug store without prescription.
Only "RiupX5" by Taisho-seiyaku is monopolized in Japan.
http://www.taisho.co.jp/riup/riupx5/
For 60ml (Minoxidil 5%) about 7,000yen.

But many Japanese internet users import privately, because Riup is too costly.
Yes, me too.(^-^;
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Medicine questions 2013/3/14 23:59
Alright. But I still wonder if the customs might give me trouble. :O
by SweGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread