Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation of Mikuji 2013/4/15 23:58
Hi there helpful people!

My mom bought a みくじ at a temple in Japan during our holiday, and now she expects me to be able to translate it, just that my Japanese is rubbish. Help, anyone?

It's a bit long, but if someone could just sum it up my mom would be very grateful. ;) I took a picture of it and uploaded it to the link below. Thanks in advance!

http://tinypic.com/r/mbifl2/6
by Smithereens (guest)  

Re: Translation of Mikuji 2013/4/16 09:50
This is some pretty old Japanese with a lot of archaic forms and vocab.. My apologies but I don't make much sense of it. All in all it doesn't seem like such a bad omiyage ('the person will come if you wait'). You'd want someone who is versed in pre-modern Japanese to take a look at it for you.
by Arne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of Mikuji 2013/4/16 10:12
In my poor English...

A person who draw this mikuji is like a flower blooming in four seasons,
if you meet with a misfortune, at the same time you meet with a good fortune, always coming a happy constantly, making a new challenge produces fine results.
The person you wait for will come and bring happiness.
To enter a lawsuit will get good results, but to press your demands strongly will be bad later.
A missing thing will be found, if you can't find it, you will get something good instead.
A departure produces fine results.
A change of job produces fine results. You may do whatever you like.
A marriage will be arranged, if not, other offer of marriage will come.
About things that you think bad, to correct it soon will get good results.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of Mikuji 2013/4/16 18:11
Thank you so much!
Yes I had a lot of trouble translating it with the help of my dictionary, it just came out gibberish. Good to know it was because of all the old complicated Japanese :D
by Smithereens (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread