Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/16 19:48
Hi. Our family is going to visit Kyoto in a few weeks, and I'm actually holding on to the romantic dream of seeing/meeting a geisha/maiko in the Gion area. If we are blessed with the opportunity to "bump into" one, would it be against protocol to take pictures? Would it be considered rude &/or bothersome to ask permission to take pictures (with her or by herself) If we are, for some generous reason, allowed to take pictures with her, would it be viewed as inconsiderate & wasteful of her time if we ask to quickly take 2 or 3 pictures? I honestly do not want to be regarded as an offensive tourist. I'd really appreciate your advise. Thank you so much, everyone!!! :)
by mvreyes  

Re: Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/17 10:59
Tourists have become an increasing problem for maiko and geiko in Kyoto. Some behave ruthlessly to get pictures of them.

Real maiko and geiko on the streets of Gion tend to be busy and on their way to work. They will be bothered if asked to stop or hindered in any other way. I strongly recommend not to interfere with them. And I think it is best not to even photograph them.

But then there are many "fake maiko" on the streets of Kyoto. Many of them will be glad if you ask them for a photograph.

The easiest way to differentiate between real and fake maiko is that fake maiko are not in a hurry and leisurely walk through the touristic streets of Kyoto. You won't see real maiko taking a walk in the park. They usually just quickly walk from the taxi to the nearby restaurant or the other way around.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/17 14:02
It's just as Uji said.
The real geisha/maiko walking on the street is probably very busy.
If you want to take pictures with her, you may want to engage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be3b9CQxEjw&t=1m52s
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/17 17:06
You need to remember that the Maiko and Geiko that you see on the streets of Kyoto are not a tourist attraction and that they are actually very busy working. With that in mind, you will see them walking very quickly down the main tourist areas so as to not be stopped by people on the way to their engagements. I have been to Kyoto several times and has photos taken with Geisha and have taken photos of Geisha where they have stopped and posed for me. This has usually been off the main tourist streets and later at night when their engagements have finished. I have also be lucky on a couple of occasions to have been allowed by the person accompanying the Maiko or Geiko to have a photo taken with them. This has been with them instigating this. Sometimes this is just to be nice and to practice English a little. Some people really like that you have a strong interest in Japanese culture. I have seen some horrible examples of tourists hounding Maiko and Geiko and blocking their way or sticking their camera in their faces as they are getting in and out of taxis and other such appalling behavior. I think if you are respectful, aren't intrusive and don't get in the way and act like a paparazzi it is ok to take photos. On the occasion when a Maiko/ Geiko has stopped to pose for me we have been alone on the street and I have said something along the lines of 'Maiko-san, shashin no totte mo ii desu ka' (Is a photo ok?). When they have said yes I have taken one very quick photo and thanked them for their time. To be honest I think you need to except that it will be down to luck. You should just enjoy having a brief glimpse as you would a rare and beautiful butterfly. If you want to take photos of a Maiko performing, you can do this as much as you like at the Gion Corner performances that are put on especially for tourists: http://www.kyoto-gioncorner.com/global/en.html
Hope this helps!
by Kikuya rate this post as useful

Re: Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/17 21:21
Thank you so much for the time & effort you put into sending your very informative & detailed replies, Uji-san, ajapaneseboy-san, and Kikuya-san! :) I agree with all of you! We have utmost respect for geishas, maikos, & the Japanese culture...and the very thing we are 100% keen on NOT DOING is to behave like pests / rude paparazzi anywhere in Japan! :)

My husband, kids, & I will memorize the Nihongo introduction you posted, Kikuya-san. Should we not be as "photography-lucky" as you were, I'm sure the sight & memory of such beautiful living treasures will be just as awesome. Like you said, "...enjoy having a brief glimpse as you would a rare and beautiful butterfly." Sigh!!! :)
by mvreyes rate this post as useful

Re: Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/18 00:05
No problem :)

If you are interested, here is a link to a film my partner made of Maiko and Geiko when we were in Kyoto last spring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A662tbI6qc

I feature in it talking to (then) Maiko Fukusuzu of Miyagawcho :)
She is now a Geiko.

We spent time there again this year and will be working on some more film/ photo projects about Maiko and Geiko soon.

We are always incredibly respectful, unobtrusive and polite and have got to know a lot of the Geisha by name.

Re: Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/20 08:53
Hello I would like to give a suggestion. I don't know how much time you have in Kyoto but if you are really interested in Maiko and Geisha, there are some places that you can dress up like them. I know it is a little pricey but it might be a fun experience to put on the make up and the kimono. I am sorry I don't remember the spelling or correct terms. It might be an enjoyable experience to walk around like a geisha or maiko. Have a great trip!
by Travelman rate this post as useful

Re: Taking pictures of (or with) geishas/maikos 2013/5/20 15:01
If you are interested in Travelman's suggestion, here is the link to the place that I did this at in Kyoto (although there are many others) http://www.yumekoubou.info/english/
It was really fun to choose a kimono, katsura and kanzashi and spend time being dressed and having make up applied. Some packages allow you to ride in a rickshaw or walk around the streets of Kyoto dressed up but I didn't do that. I can't say I make the most attractive Maiko but it was fun to pretend for a little while. My twitter profile pic is from the photo session if you want to see the results: https://twitter.com/KikuyaKanzashi

reply to this thread