Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Short term course in Japan 2013/6/23 16:06
I'm planning to stay in Japan for 1 month, under the holiday visa. 1 month is the longest time I can ask for time off from work. Wish I can go for 1 year.

My Japanese level is intermediate and I've always wanted to go to Japan to study.

Does anyone know if there's a short term/crash course/intensive course?
by Amy (guest)  

Re: Short term course in Japan 2013/6/23 21:37
Yamasa has one that is pretty flexible. I believe the focus is conversational. It's a good school in a good location for serious study. (Not too much else to do there, so you don't get distracted.) Here's an overview page; if it appeals to you, then wander around their web site to learn more about the place. You can't expect miracles to happen in just one month of study, but it will give you a shot in the arm at least.
http://www.yamasa.org/acjs/english/programs/silac.html
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Short term course in Japan 2013/6/24 22:18
Hi Uma!
Thanks for the reply and for the link.
It looks good and I do want to focus on
conversation more.

I'm not going to expect much from 1 month. But hopefully it'll improve my conversation!
by Amy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Short term course in Japan 2013/6/25 01:36
Hi, Amy!
I was hoping you might get some more responses, as I know there are other good schools in Japan but I don't have any experience with them. I was very pleased with Yamasa for just some brush-up private lessons a number of years ago. A month in their SILAC program should definitely have an impact, I would think. But shop around. It's a big investment of time and money, so you want to be sure to find a program that really meets your specific needs and interests.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Short term course in Japan 2013/6/25 04:47
How many kanji do you know? Seeing how you said you're at intermediate level of Japanese, it should atleast be 300.

Don't get me wrong. I only know
420 kanji and 1050 vocabulary words (which I can read), but I would call myself lowest of the low intermediate at best.

Whilst its nice to know vocab / grammar you should still know how to read. Else you won't be able to pass any JLPT tests
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: Short term course in Japan 2013/6/25 09:23
@Uma Thanks for your help. SILAC looks really good to me.
I've found other schools MLC and YMCA.
I need to chose between class and private lessons. I'm leaning on private lessons more but class will be cheaper.

@Carlove I know about 1200 kanji. But my conversation skill is bad. I haven't tried the JLPT tests, but I know I should.
by Amy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread