Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese host family awkwardness? 2013/7/7 03:03
Hey guys,
I am going to Japan in one week and will be staying with a host family. I spoke with the host family on Skype last week and it really went well and we had a lot to talk about. Today, we talked on Skype again. However, this time it was really awkward and the conversation did not flow at all. I found myself repeating whatever I was saying just to keep the conversation alive. Despite this, we spoke for three hours because we both just kept talking (until it was already two in the morning in Japan). The conversation finally ended when I told them I had to go eat. It seemed as if, throughout the conversation, we were just looking for things to say and did not know how to end it. I said a couple of times something like "遅いね" ("it's already late, don't you think?") but they just said "けっこうです" ("it's okay") and kept talking in this awkward manner. I don't think they were too interested in the conversation either and they were constantly looking for things to say as well.

Sorry for this rant, but I just finished the conversation with them and this situation really upset me. I'm frustrated. I really want to have a pleasant stay and I want to be in good relations with them. Until this conversation today I was so excited, but now this upset me quite a bit. What should I do?
by Yuukida (guest)  

Re: Japanese host family awkwardness? 2013/7/7 12:46
That can happen to the best of us :) Maybe they were tired (I guess you started talking around 11 at night, that already was late to begin with), but they wanted to stay connected to you... I am sure that by the time you meet in person, things will go well. Talking via Skype is different from face to face.

By the way, I would encourage you to speak in polite speech (-desu, -masu, etc.), that would simply sound nicer. Casual speech "can" sound somewhat blunt depending on the situation.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese host family awkwardness? 2013/7/7 13:37
I wouldnt stress it. We had a homestay several years ago and the skype introduction was painful, then it took a day of so for our girl to settle in. We have since become great friends with the family and see them in our trips. There is generally a bit of awkwardness at the beginning, but after an hour or less we are going fine. I find beer helps with my discussions with the father. He isnt comfortable with english and I'm not great at Japanese, but beer works like a universal translator.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese host family awkwardness? 2013/7/16 06:46
i don't think this is something to get upset over. so many variables could factor in to why this conversation was more awkward than your last. also, they maybe did not take your "hint" of it being late, and wanted to keep the skype session going to get to know you before you come stay in their home. from their side, i'm sure they just want reassurance that they're opening their home to someone they feel comfortable with.
by minami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese host family awkwardness? 2013/7/16 10:29
It almost sounded like they interpreted you saying that it's late as it's late for them and they were saying not to worry they were fine. I wouldn't worry about awkwardness on a Skype chat with someone you hardly know. If they were rude and/or didn't take the time to Skype then that might be something to worry about!
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread