Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say "broken heart"? 2013/7/18 09:45
I want to say
''My heart is breaking'' in Japanese,
but don't have any idea how. Can someone please translate for me?
Thank you!
by susie (guest)  

Re: How to say 2013/7/18 17:21
Please, always ask in context, because it depends on the situation!

For example, one of the common expressions is "kizutsuita (literally meaning "I'm hurt") but you can't use this when saying, "My heart is broken to know that your mother died." because it implies that the person you're speaking to caused the damage to you.

It also depends on how polite you want to be or whether you're a male or female etc.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2013/7/18 19:51
Thank you for the comment!

The context in this case is/was, that I'm moving to another country and will be separated from my loved ones. In English, I would say "my heart is breaking", because "I'm very sad" doesn't really match my feelings... I'm more than sad. "Crushed"?

Also, it's female's point of view.
by susie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2013/7/19 18:06
Thanks for your response.

In that case, why not say,

"(samishikute) kokoro ga shime-tsuke-ra-re-sou (desu)"

which is like "my heart is being squeezed" in other words, "my heart is aching."

Or even,

"(samishikute) kokoro ga tsubure-sou (desu)"

which literally means that your heart is about to crush.

The first ( ) means "I miss you (all) so much that," so you'd want to add that unless you're already speaking in context. You also may want to add "desu" at the end if the listeners/readers include those who are senior to you.

I hope you will enjoy your new life in your next country :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2013/7/19 18:38
To tell the truth, "kokoro ga..." sounds a bit affected way of speaking.
For that in Japanese, Tsurai, Kanashii, Sabishii/Samishii or something are more natural, I think.
So I think Uco suggested to add "samishikute".
I can recommend "hontou ni samishikute"(I'm really sad) at first on your saying.
"(hontou ni samishikute) kokoro ga..."
If the word in English seems not good, it in Japanese express your feelings well.
Especially in speaking, you may not want to enhance "kokoro ga...".
In other words, if you want to repeat, you should say "samishii" or "hontou ni samishii" again. To say "kokoro ga tsubure sou" again and agin sounds a bit funny, though you express your feelings outside the words, of course.
Excuse my poor English.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2013/7/19 18:46
The first thing that came to mind:
- Hanareru nante, tsurakute tsurakute shikata ga nai.
(The thought of being separated, it breaks my heart no end.)
It comes from an emphatic expression using the adjective "tsurai."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2013/7/19 19:34
Yes, "kokoro ..." does sound like an exaggeration. But then, so does "my heart..."

I thought the OP wanted to stress out the fact that she is much much more sad than usual, at least enough to feel that it's more than broken but perhaps crushed.

But of course, be prepared to see your friends in a bit of a shock, which is not that bad when you're going far away.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2013/7/19 20:30
Although I can't find good translation like AK and Uco,
only I'm just a bit worried about expression to repeat/enhance in speaking.
All of the above will match your feelings well.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread