Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/7 20:48
Hello,

I might be able to come to Japan this Autumn.
The period I was thinking of would be more or less from 15 November to the first days of december, before 5 december.

I would arrive in Tokyo, stay 2-3 days there then move to Kyoto for more or less a week and then come back to Tokyo till the end of my trip.

During my stay in Kyoto and Tokyo I will make day trips to Nikko, Nara, Kamakura, Takayama, Mount Fuji and possibly other places.

I've ready a few autumn colour reports from past years but I would like to ask anyway: based on past experiences do you think this would be a good period for autum colours in Kyoto and Tokyo Area?

Especially kyiomizudera with red leaves and surroundings and Tokyo in general.

I know every year can be different and difficult to predict but my travel period could be a good one or in general in those areas autumn colours tend to be better earlier or later?

Thanks in advance for all the answers you'll give me, any suggestion is welcome!

by ItalianSan  

Re: Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/8 22:45
I went to Kamakura on (US) Thanksgiving Day (last Thursday in November) a few years ago and the colors were fantastic--small crowds too as it wasn't a weekend.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2009/11/thanksgiving-in-kamakura/
by kia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/9 09:00
In most recent years, late November has been best for Kyoto, and early December has been best for Tokyo. Mid November is usually good for the Kawaguchiko region at the northern base of Mount Fuji. This year could be different.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/10 04:26
Thanks a lot people! Very interesting!!

If others have had other experience or can give suggestions or anything else...it would be very much appreciated!

P.S.

Kia your Kamakura trip was amazing!
by ItalianSan rate this post as useful

Re: Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/10 11:28
Weather conditions determine the intensity of the Autumn colors, some trees change early and some later depending on exactly where they grow, some trees are open to cold winds, rain, sunlight etc., not all trees change color at the same time, therefore it's not possible to predict exactly when the leaves will change or how long they will stay on the trees before falling. Last November I arrived in Kyoto on the 25th November till the 4th December, I saw beautiful colors on the trees all around Kyoto. Some trees were already 'bear', their leaves already fallen and a carpet of reds and golds on the ground and lanterns and steps etc., but some trees were in full color and others just reaching color. This coming November I'm returning to Kyoto on the 16th November till the 28th hoping to catch the earlier changing of the leaves, some in their peak and some already falling as a carpet of color. Kyoto and Nara for me are the best areas for Autumn viewing with such a vast areas and combinations of Mountains, Canels, Shrines, Temples and beautiful gardens to enjoy. Hope you can make it!. BUT...accommodation in Kyoto is already booked and now very expensive, I suggest you make a decision now and book a hotel or you will miss out as vertually 'millions' of tourists both Japanese and International visitors visit these Autumn areas especially Kyoto. Good luck.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/14 15:25
Barriews: Thank you very much for your answer too!!

I'll follow your recomendation and will try to decide fast if I can make it or not.

Unfortunately it will be difficult for me coming this year but...I don't want to wait another year so...I'll try my best.

Thanks a lot again!
by ItalianSan rate this post as useful

Re: Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/14 15:44
This year could be different.

Uji san, why would this year be different??
by waisky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good period for Autumn colours 2013/8/14 16:25
Uji san, why would this year be different??

Because there is still plenty of time left for the weather to vary drastically from what was experienced in previous years.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread