Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/9 22:31
Hi

Can I know where is the best place to go from Tokyo, for a view of Mt Fuji and can be accessible by public transport? We have been to Lake Kawaguchiko so would like to try another location.

This is for ard first or second week of Dec, and whether it is ok to do a day trip.

Thank you!
by Apple76  

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 16:09
Have you been to Hakone?
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 16:21
Mount Takao from Shinjuku-station by Keio line, Shinjuku - (Takahatafudo) - Takaosanguchi, approx 60 minutes 370 YEN per person, depending on weather conditions.

Haneda airport international terminal observatory in another spot, again, depending on weather conditions. It's free of charge.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 19:55
Is there attractions at Takaosanguchi? Sounds good, is there a specific spot we should go to?

Sal1980, yes been to hakone, nice place!
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 19:57
There's a monkey park and lots of nice walking trails at Takaosan.

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 20:00
Just did a brief search, looks good! My kids would love the trail and monkey park!

Is the weather in december suitable for viewing mt fuji amd do the hike?

The hiking is it quite normal with comfortable walking shoes?

Thank you!

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 20:21
Here's the website for it http://www.takaotozan.co.jp/takaotozan_eng1/diamond/mntfuji.htm
They have good info about the trails, monkeys, cablecars, etc.
Note that the view you see of Fujisan from Takaosan is not very close. You've already been to the 2 main viewing sites (Kawaguchiko and Hakone), so you're probably not likely to be blown away by the view you'll get from Takaosan. There is, however, Diamond view... http://www.takaotozan.co.jp/takaotozan_eng1/diamond/index.htm which looks pretty cool. I went there in September, so unfortunately have not seen this.

I reckon December would be pretty good for viewing as it's not as humid, but if you're able to be flexible in your itinerary you can afford to choose a sunny, clear day.

Oh and I did the hike in a pair of ballet flats and a dress (I'm not a jeans and joggers girl!) and I was fine. The trail past over the bridge is particularly nice and unpaved by the way.

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 20:58
Hike in ballet flats n dress!! (I need to shocking emoticons! Kidding!)

Thanks for the info, You are so kind!

Eventho twice to near mt fuji but actually did not see the peaks haha both times in Aug and were cloudy. This time dont feel like going back same place and wanted to try new and less expensive ways

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 20:59
It depends on the weather you can or can't see Mt Fuji from Mt Takao. There are many Japanese tourists trying to see Mt Fuji on top of Mt Takao but fail. You are lucky if you could see Mt Fuji.
Do not climb Mt Takao with a pair of sandals. Hiking shoes recommended.

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 21:06
Thank you Tokyo friend 48!

Do we need to plan whole day to hike and visit the whole place, including transport from/to Tokyo?

Can I know when is the date for Dec winter solstice? It seems great if we can catch the magnificent sunset, but I hope it will not b too dark to hike back or cablecar down?

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 22:52
I would recommend you to take a one day trip to Mt Takao if you go hiking.

When I was a school pupil, I went to Mt Takao as a school one day trip. There are still many school pupils go and climb Mt Takao.

The mountain path is paved so you do not need a pair of trekking shoes but at least you need comfortable walking shoes. If you have a pair of trekking shoes or hiking boots, recommend to take them.

The winter solstice in 2013 is 22nd December.

1st Dec, sunrise:6:32 sunset:16:28
5th Dec, sunrise:6:35 sunset:16:28
10th Dec, sunrise:6:39 sunset:16:28
15th Dec, sunrise:6:43 sunset:16:29
20th Dec, sunrise:6:46 sunset:16:31
22nd Dec, sunrise:6:47 sunset:16:32
25th Dec, sunrise:6:48 sunset:16:34
30th Dec, sunrise:6:50 sunset:16:37

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/10 23:05
I missed the peak at Hakone too, so I know what you mean! We'll be at Kawaguchiko in Dec or early January so I'm going to try and time it with a clear day.

I should note that we took one of the hiking trails (the bridge one I mentioned) up from the cable car station, walked around the top and went to the ropeway via the sealed road path, which was nowhere near as attractive as the unsealed trail. If I hiked from the bottom, I'd probably wear boots with grip (such as the time I was on the trails at Kamakura). For the small bit of well-traversed path, my flats were not an issue.

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/11 01:26
If I take cablecar up to midway of Mt Takao, how long to hike to reach the peak?

Mayb I shld considering kawaguchiko again. The last time we only went to 5th station, a toy museum and the wind cave before rushing to the fire festival and then back to Shinjuku, there must be much more to explore, but the transport cost is quite expensive for round trip for 4 pax...
If going to kawaguchiko, where is the best place to view mt fuji?

Is there a site to check for clear sky on actual day morning?

Thank you everyone for providing these very useful info!

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/11 08:32
There's timings listed on the hiking trails page on the Takaosan website, along with a map.

I'm planning to just check the weather forecast.

As far as I'm aware, the best views are from the north shore of Kawaguchiko.

Re: Best View of Mt Fuji, going from Tokyo 2013/8/11 08:33
For something less crowded than Mt. Takao (and also with good views of tea fields, rivers, etc.) but a little farther away from Tokyo (and closer to Mt. Fuji) try this place: http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2010/06/best-view-of-mt-fuji-from...
by kia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread