Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass confusion 2013/8/14 22:24
Hi, husband and I will be traveling to Japan in September. We will be arriving in Kansai Airport, travelling directly to Kyoto and staying for 5 days, then 2d1n in Nara and then 4d3n in Osaka. We would like to take the Haruka Express from Kansai to Kyoto. And will spend the next day using the hop on and hop off Kyoto bus service. Do you all think the Kansai Area Pass will be a good idea for our transfer to Kyoto? After that, are there any other passes which will be good for traveling to and around Nara and Osaka? Thanks!
by ct2 (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass confusion 2013/8/15 08:29
Do you all think the Kansai Area Pass will be a good idea for our transfer to Kyoto?

It is cheaper than buying regular tickets for the Haruka airport train (although you are limited to non-reserved seating). But, the Icoca&Haruka is the even better deal:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_icoca_haruka.html

After that, are there any other passes which will be good for traveling to and around Nara and Osaka?

Paying regular fares with an Icoca card is the cheapest option if you plan your days geographically wise. On some days of extreme travel, a local one-day pass could pay off, e.g. Osaka 1-day subway pass, Osaka Unlimited Pass or 1-day Kyoto city bus pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass confusion 2013/8/15 13:19
Dear Uji,

Thanks! After posting my question, I found ICOCA and Haruka card online and was wondering if it was a good option and you have answered my question.
by CT2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread