Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Biking through Eastern Kyoto? 2013/8/15 09:03
Is it possible to do this Eastern Kyoto Itinerary by bicycle? http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_eastern_kyoto_full.html

If not, what is the better mode of transportation?

by stephonu (guest)  

Re: Biking through Eastern Kyoto? 2013/8/15 10:11
The area between Kiyomizudera and Yasaka Shrine is not good for bicycles because it tends to be crowded and has several stairs.

Likewise, the Philosopher Path is not suied for bicycles when it is busy.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Biking through Eastern Kyoto? 2013/8/15 10:44
The good areas for cyclists are the north and West areas (Arashiyama), I think.

Eastern Kyoto is best done on foot and with buses (trains, too, when it makes sense).

As mentioned, you can't cycle around Kiyomizu Temple because of the steep path and stairs leading up. In the Shijo and Sanjo shopping areas, it is annoying for both bikers and pedestrians to have a bike. The area is crowded and bikes must be walked (can't ride them).
by Intern (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Biking through Arashiyama? 2013/8/15 11:02
thank you for your advice!

In that case, would bicycling be good for the Arashiyama itinerary?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_arashiyama_full.html

Monkey Park
Togetsukto Bridge
Tenryuji
Bamboo Groves
Jojakkoji
Gioji
Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street
Otagi Nenbutsuji
Daikakuji

Can it all be in one day? Any recommendations for where to actually rent the bike?
by stephonu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Biking through Eastern Kyoto? 2013/8/16 03:57
I did ride from Ginkakuji to pretty close to Kiyomizudera and had no particular problems doing it.

Eastern parts of Kyoto for sure are more difficult to ride than the rest of the city but still doable.

If PhilosopherLs Path is not not very busy, it is easy to ride. Just be courteous to pedestrians. Drive politely.

Further on, you have to drive with the traffic but generally it is very safe. Japanese drivers are (to my exprerience) very cautious to bikes. Just keep your eyes open.

Many Japanese seem to ride along the pavement/sidewalk, not on the road.
You can try to avoid the bigger street by navigating along the small streets and alleys - there are plenty to choose from!

And no, you cannot enter temples and shrines with a bike. You have to lock your bike near the gate and walk the rest. No problem at all.

I rented my bike near the Kyoto Station, sorry cannot recall the name of the store. I can try to find it if you need but there are many rentals in Kyoto. You can also get a map there - you may need one unless you know the city very well.
by Constellation1649 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread