Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/7 16:25
Does any native Japanese mothers with Chinese language background or Chinese mothers who are living in Japan know which website to turn to for Japanese names for baby gals?
I would like a website that not only allows me to key in a kanji character, but also shows me the pronunciation & meaning of the name.
I am looking for a meaningful name for my baby which can be pronounced in BOTH Japanese & Chinese, yet does not sound weird in either language.

Thank u so much!!!
by Ang (guest)  

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/8 05:35
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C (select "Japanese Names" from the Dictionary drop-down menu)
by Aoi Ninami rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/9 15:59
I am thinking of this Chinese name 日恩 or 慧恩 which means Days of Gratitude, and Wisdom & Gratitude respectively but when I used the link as you mentioned in your post, I do not see these names appear. Does this mean that such names do not exist in Japanese???

If they do exist, can someone tell me their pronunciation please? I am afraid of pronouncing my baby's name wrongly & make myself a laughing stock. Onegaishimasu.
by Ang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/9 17:32
In Japanese, both names sound like Buddhist priest or Chinese.
Although both are not sound traditional/common Japanese name, there is a so wide variety in Japanese naming.
So it's not bad, I think.

In general, maybe they are called in Japanese,
日恩 (にちおん, nichi-on) looks "gift from the sun"
慧恩 (けいおん, kei-on) looks "wisdom given by Providence"
By the way, the latter is the same pronunciation that of a popular manga/anime of high school girls' rock band.
Because "kei-on" is used for the shortened form of Kei-ongaku(軽音楽; pops/light musics).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-On!
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/k-on/trailer/trailer.html

By the way, I had heard that 美- are good girl's names in both of Japanese and Chinese.
美華(mi-ka), 美雨(mi-u), 美友(mi-yu), 美帆(mi-ho), 美玲(mi-rei), 美月(mi-zuki) and so on.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/9 17:41
Gee, I did not know the names I chose sound like that of a Japanese or Chinese priest. Haha! Maybe it is because I am a Buddhist.

Oh there is also a "美" in my Chinese name.
I am not sure if in Chinese, we are allowed to name our baby gal after a same character in the mother's name, just in case, it 'clashes'.
E.g.: Mother name is 美安 & baby's name is 美喜. Is there such a belief in Japanese???

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/9 19:53
Not only the names you chose.
In Japanese, many Chinese names by Japanese pronunciation sound like Buddhist priest's name.
Because in history, Japanese learned Buddhism from China and many Japanese priests had Buddism name (that sounds like Chinese for Japanese) like Christian name.

Although 美安(mi-an?) looks non Japanese name, 美喜(mi-ki) sounds very common Japanese girl's name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miki_(given_name)

Some Japanese inherit a character of name of parent's name.
For example, some Tokugawa-shoguns had 家 in their names that named after 家康.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BE%B3%E5%B7%9D%E5%B0%86%E8%BB%8D%E4%B...
By the way, also a charactor of my name is after my grand-father's name.

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/10 15:21
Thanks dude!

I guess the more languages you know, the more you have to think about when it comes to giving your child a name. E.g.: 美喜 (Miki). In English, it sounds like Mickey as in Mickey Mouse, so I am afraid my child will be bullied by her classmates when she goes to junior school.

Here is another good example. In Japanese, there is this male name - 健人. In Chinese, I think it means a healthy person but I am afraid it has the SAME pronunciation as "despicable person". So even though it has a good meaning, this is a name that is prone to being bullied by classmates, by childish classmates, that is to say.

So I have to think about English, Chinese & Japanese meaning... -.-

By the way, you mentioned that a character of your name comes from your grandfather. Does Japanese believe that this will bring bad luck upon the child, be it in terms of career, studies, health or wealth???

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/15 13:57
Oh, it looks hard to me to find good English, Chinese & Japanese name.

A charactor continued for generations means want the child to keep tradition, I think?
Abe Shinzou(晋三) the Prime Minister of Japan has 晋 after his father Abe Shintarou(晋太郎), it's not strange in Japan.

By the way, the second charactor of my name is the same as the first charactor of my grand-father's name.
In vertical lines, it's a metaphor that means I can use him as a stepping-stone to my own success and I'm going beyond him (that is his hope), I heard.

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/17 15:35
Mmmm... Does that mean more commonly, Japanese will name their baby after their ancestor, only if their ancestor was successful in life?
Or do they do it just for filial piety?

Re: Japanese names for baby gals 2013/10/18 14:39
only if their ancestor was successful in life?

No. But there are all sorts of reasons, I think.

reply to this thread