Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

gift for female friend 2013/10/11 00:36
Hi all,

I am having difficulty finding an appropriate gift for my Japanese friends birthday. When I visited a couple of years ago she took me and my other friends out for dinner and secretly paid the bill (as well as giving me a gift). I am trying to find a really nice gift to bring for her birthday but I am pretty clueless as to what is popular with women (she is in her 30s) in Japan.

If anyone can tell me what brands/stuff is popular at the moment (ie: I don't want to buy her a Pandora charm bracelet only to find its no longer cool) or has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

by Mathais (guest)  

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/11 15:23
Where you from and are you going to visit Japan or your JP friend coming to your home country or both of you meet at somewhere else?

How much is you budget?

It's hard to choose any particular brand product or item.

by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/13 01:36
Hello I find the best gift to give somebody, I am guessing you are from a different country than Japan. Try to find some unique gift from you area, city, or country. It is like sharing your culture. I am from Southern california so when I travel I try to take some products that I can only buy here, Sometimes it is candy, or food, and certain brand made in southern california.
Like when I travel. I try to buy an item unique to the culture . I am sure she will be happy with anything you give her.
by Travelman rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/13 16:24
Thanks for the replies. I am from Australia and my budget is around 20,000 Yen.

I have considered something from Australia but
I honestly can't think of any brand prestigious enough or likewise, anything Australian that doesn't scream "omiage".

by Mathais (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/14 14:24

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/15 11:06
Thanks Tokyofriend48.

I must confess to being confused as to why anyone would want Ugg branded stuff (or other sheepskin based imitations) it is instantly associated with 'bogans' in Australia but its good to know its popular in Japan (regardless of my Aussie perception of it).
by Mathais (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/15 22:38
Japanese people love stuff something limited, from overseas, original or famous at the place.
A large number of Japanese people image Australia as heaps sheep, natural natures, freedom and relaxed place. Japanese tourists buy sheep skin this is because an original or famous product from AU.
UGG Australia is an American footwear company, but is named "Australia" with using sheepskin.
There is a large UGG Australia store in Shibuy, Tokyo. Thus, a large number of young people certainly know UGG Australia as a famous store and product.
I'm not making advice to purchase a UGG Australia product, this is the reason I mentioned UGG name.

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/16 10:51
I have considered something from Australia but
I honestly can't think of any brand prestigious enough or likewise, anything Australian that doesn't scream "omiage".

Then ask a woman living in Australia. A colleague of friend or relative you think has good taste. There is no need for this woman to have knowledge of trends in Japan. But it would be great if, looking from your point of view, she has similar taste to the Japanese friend of yours.

It's always best to give what you like rather than to try wild-guessing what the receiptant may like. If you find something popular at home and give it to your Japanese friend telling her that it's the hottest thing in Australia, or even that you thought it would suit her, that would be the best gift you can give.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

20000 yen?? 2013/10/16 11:00
Oh, but isn't 20000 yen too expensive for a "friend" to give to a person in his/her 30s? Even though she showed great hospitality, the price to me sounds like you're aiming for a big business deal or a romantic engagement, unless you're giving it as a group or unless she's used to expensive gifts. I'm a working woman in my 50s and I can't recall having anything that expensive given for my birthday. Even my husband's budget has usually been below that!

Perhaps you can keep it below 10000 yen, or actually 5000 yen, and return the hospitality by buying her meals or doing favors in another occasion.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/17 12:38
the best gift from ur part can be.....
the concern that u have and the feelings that you have for her, the humanism u possess on this earth I think that is more than enough for a girl to accept as a best gift from a man.
by pap rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/17 13:27
How about Jurlique product?
It's very expensive in Japan, just a tube or two of hand cream or something would be nice for a lady in her 30s.
by a cup of tea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/18 12:50
If I would, hat Helen Kaminski is good.
However, I think people do not like too much even hat to be there.
Helen Kaminski, a bag is also seems to sell.
Although I think the other, the price is cheap.
Because I think that is popular in young women pancakes bills, I think that it might be nice for the something or goods which they sell in store only Australian bills.
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/23 17:35
I think some of Japanese females likes gifts that are customize, something that reminds of herself or something. You should buy at least an item that she can use or wear anywhere.
by tobiiDesu rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/23 22:19
What about Aesop skincare products? There really in now. Quality products and stylish packaging.

Other than that maybe oroton, but it's not as as unique design wise. Not sure if they are known in Japan
by ideas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gift for female friend 2013/10/28 23:04
200 bucks is pretty significant. But for around that price you can buy a pretty cool 7 inch tablet.

Maybe you can buy a series of smaller gifts. That might mitigate the awkwardness of the gifts being perceived as romantic if you are hoping to avoid that.

Perhaps you could start with a decent regional wine and add on something durable like a soccer scarf.
by JasonCreighton rate this post as useful

reply to this thread