Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/23 09:29
Where in Kyoto could I buy wooden kokeshi dolls?
(I'm staying in eastern Kyoto, near Gion)
by Marc (guest)  

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/23 11:33
You can find them at many souvenir shops in the Shin Kyogoku Shopping Arcade area.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3958.html
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/23 12:29
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/23 17:09
Found some lovely ones at a little shop on the short approach from the JR Station to the Fushimi Inari shrine- but I've seen them in lots of tourist oriented shops.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/23 21:41
The Kyoto Handicraft Centre has some nice kokeshi dolls as well as lots of other Japanese crafts and souvenirs: http://www.kyotohandicraftcenter.com/

It is pretty near to where you are staying too.
by Kikuya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/25 16:17
There are many kokeshi dolls in the Shijo and Sanjo area shopping centers (all near Gion). They are the type that can be found everywhere, but it sounds like that is not a concern in this case. (I always look for unique kokeshi, so I've become quite aware of where they're sold).
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/26 13:00
@Rabbityama: Do you know where I can find kokeshi which functioned as matryoshka doll? And not too expensive, about 500 yen maybe?

Thank you in advance.
by tokage rate this post as useful

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/29 01:48
The matryoshka ones are technically not real kokeshi dolls, but 500 yen is too cheap for the matryoshka kokeshi. They hand paint each part, so the price is typically over 1000 yen. I wouldn't bother looking if you aren't willing to spend more.

I haven't seen so many of those in Kyoto though actually. There are some cute Momotaro ones in a shop along Momotaro-odori in Okayama but that's not helpful for someone in Kyoto...

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/29 12:28
This shop if keychain etc, there is a possibility that sells for 500 yen or less.
Vesna
http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ja...

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/29 12:54

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/29 13:37
@Rabbityama: Thank you for the head up, I'll consider more carefully of what to buy later on.

But, let me confirm something: the more than 1000 yen kokeshi, is it about 1 piece of kokeshi or about matryoshka kokeshi? I'm sorry, still a bit confused.
by tokage rate this post as useful

Re: Kokeshi dolls in Kyoto 2013/10/30 08:51
The matryoshka kokeshi are usually 1000 yen or more.

The regular kokeshi however can have inflated prices in tourist areas, especially in Kyoto, so it's important to shop around. They sell many for over 2000 yen sometimes. That's highly expensive, especially considering they are not unique.

Actually, the unique kokeshi are usually cheaper I have found. I don't remember if I mentioned it above, but if you visit Kinkakuji Temple, they have unique kokeshi that I think are not so expensive. Also, the shop in the Imperial Park has unique kokeshi that are less expensive, as well.

reply to this thread