Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

death and the funeral? 2013/11/1 04:22
I'd like to know how long it is typically between when some one dies and when their funeral is so that I can ship them something as soon as possible.
by Timachu1 (guest)  

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/1 10:30
What I know has been in the range of 2 - 4 days.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/2 00:24
Is it more likely 2 days or is it more likely to be more?
by Timachu1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/2 13:08
Normally I would say 2 or 3 days.

If it is for someone high up in the company, or some celebrity, and the company is holding an official funeral ceremony or "farewell party" later, that would be a different situation, though.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/2 18:04
It depends on the family's situation.
It takes normally 3-7 days.
It took 5 days when my father passed away due to fully booked local crematorium. You need a booking at the crematorium(via funeral service) first then organize it funeral ceremony.
It's okay to send a letter, money, or flower as soon as you heard the news.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/3 17:51
It depends on a lot of things, actually. Often the requested venue is full and the waiting time may require a few days. Or if everything is organized and the family need not wait for anyone to arrive later and they want to get everything done with, then they won't take much time.

In any case, it's not very polite to suggest that you were extimating a "date for someone to die." I'm not sure what you want to send to them, but try not to think of any funeral dates and think of alternatives.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Sorry for the typo 2013/11/4 01:49
I meant to write "estimating" instead of "extimating."

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/4 23:44
Well I don't mean to guess the person's death, I just know some one with a sick relative and I just worry about sending it late and being rude. I have relatives that are extremely picky about when they get their cards and presents and I wasn't sure of the Japanese policy on this.
by Timachu1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/5 00:24
If you're worrying about sending your word of condolence, it's customary to send a telegram in time for the funeral. Japanese telegram companies can put them in proper frames that may differ depending on your budget. In the days of telephones and internet, you can never be late.
https://www.google.co.jp/webhp?hl=ja&tab=ww#hl=ja&psj=1&q=%E6%B5%B7%E5...

If you're sending anything else such as condolence money, it doesn't have to arrive in time for the funeral. Be sure to attach a card or letter though.

Re: death and the funeral? 2013/11/5 00:35
So what I'm saying is that "the Japanese policy on this" is that you're not suppose to prepare anything until the person is actually dead.

In other words, if you did you best in sending things as soon as you hear that the person has been drawn up to heaven, it's better to be late than to be "too early."

What you can do now is to find a way to send things as speedy as possible, and if the tragic news doesn't reach you soon enough, then that's not your responsibility.

reply to this thread